Why Dodge ever sold Sprinters?

lindenengineering

A way to get an established domestic manufacturer to import CKD Sprinter van products into the US market, with lesser tariffs and product liability rates being one salient reason . Potential market penetration is another with a comprehensive established dealer product support network nationwide. is another very important factor,
Curious
But do you have an issue about Mopar & Daimler Benz collaboration which corporately died out by 2019?
Dennis

Shawn182

At the time Chevy Express and Ford Econoline owned the van market and Sprinter was relatively unknown to the US...but Dodge had instant domestic brand recognition and a solid reputation with their trucks which was their target user market. No one in the US would equate Mercedes to a work vehicle and most though of skimpy little diesel vans with the European vehicles. As mentioned instant market penetration without having to re-educate the US consumer to what would have been a new brand in that market.

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The general public (and this includes your typical tradesmen who might buy Sprinters) didn't know Freightliner as a brand.

I've had people in Home Depot parking lots ask me who or what Freightliner is/was....

(i've also had rural farmers ask me "You got a Cummins diesel in that?" at fuel stops)

--dick

Mambeaux

Not at all. Just bought a 2007 Pleasure Way Dodge Sprinter and everything in it, on it , all glass is MB. Even the hood is cut for the MB logo.

Top Bottom