Diesel scandal may be hitting Daimler

lindenengineering

Before you folks get on your high horses , do take into account that the VW cheating debacle was over their system which differs considerably to the MB Bluetech methodology.
VW used the Lean NOx trap or LNT system , quite different!
In fact PSA employed the same system (that's Renault/ Citroen to you darlings)_until recently
Ford in the early diesel Transit had an LNT system.

In fact they too have all decided to go Bluetech style.
In fact if you look at the US truck maker Navistar, they had to pay out $13 million over the Maxxforce engine range cheating .
Like I stated in another post they are all at it!
Its just that the American public are only given snippets of information pertinent to the overall agenda
Dennis

FullyTorqued

Here is some more information about it:

I can't help but feel a little bit sorry for MB, the sanctions seem pretty severe, and it was Bosch who built the emissions system under contract, not even MB engineers, from what I can gather.

I also wonder why it only includes up to 2016 Sprinters, don't 2017-2018 have the same engines and emissions systems? @lindenengineering maybe you can answer this one.

lindenengineering

Here is some more information about it:

I can't help but feel a little bit sorry for MB, the sanctions seem pretty severe, and it was Bosch who built the emissions system under contract, not even MB engineers, from what I can gather.

I also wonder why it only includes up to 2016 Sprinters, don't 2017-2018 have the same engines and emissions systems? @lindenengineering maybe you can answer this one.
I will answer briefly because I am still trying to extract the exact internal mechanical engines changes .
What I can tell you is that the later V6 OM642 engines cost about $2500 MORE exchange over those earlier generations and are NOT directly interchangeable .Certainly the live data coming of a good condition as new late model unit combined with a new SOC/DPF Cat arr' reveals a crisper control on the exhaust gases and component reaction like the EGR & boost controls..

Secondly and this my personal opinion based upon the future of diesel as a power source.
The diesel engine not dead, far from it!
I believe there is a need for a REAL clean diesel engine.
Currently I can see that a marriage of VW/PSA's LNT preferences (marred by cheating & bad wrapped by varies Govs) and the SCR Adblue system preferred by MB & others holds the secret.

Currently available materials used in the thermal control parts of the treatment system are the weakness.
When new, the vital reaction components (of both systems) can reduce the harmful exhaust by products to about 90% efficiency, but ageing reduces the effectiveness to about a 60% at 160,000 kms. (100,000 miles) The major industry players know this and have stated so, but they don't really talk about it to customers/diesel users. .
The current practice of baking of DPF's to clean stored soot restrictions might be a quick cheap and effective workshop remedy by re-using the component but industry information shows that on average only about 60% efficiency is achieved, Barely enough then to ensure longevity and usefulness & pollution control.
There are of course a lot of other factors outside the control of vehicle design which marrs its effectiveness.
On a light/medium duty truck its easy to stack the system next to the engine aka Isuzu NPR truck, but when mounted under a passenger car or van like a Sprinter with space limitation limits its total effectiveness like system warm up time and/or excessive idling practices are in jeopardy .
The other is fuel quality.
Yes we have ULSD fuel meeting a minimum standard but by how much above it and what is the variation from one refinery/ blender to another across the country?. Take into account that the USA hasn't built a modern fuel refinery since 1976 which is pitiful. In reality you cannot have real emission controls without well refined modern refineries supplying the transport needs at a higher level of emission controls
Remember or take into account that sulfur poisoning of the Cat is real and that will rapidly there reduce the overall efficiency & useful life to 60% at best.
Currently then not a lot of answers, but a lot of potential problems to overcome.
Dennis

Bawareca

Just for an example, when i start my 2012 BMW X5 diesel with 80k miles in a cold day up in the mountains, so like 20-30F, I can breathe off of the exhaust and there is a 0 smell Same with my '09 160k 335d. When I start my 2011 Sprinter with 27 k miles in a normal day, 70-80F, I can feel the exhaust smell around it. I dont know about the Sprinters, but Diesel BMWs generally do not smell at all.

acehigh1

Why up through 2016? I think MB was aware of the lawsuit in early 2016 so the 2017 vehicles forward were "corrected" with an emisions modification? The class-action lawsuit included Bosch as a defendant. The approx 250,000 Bluetec vehicles affected will require the AEM be installed at a MB dealer first as a key step in the $ettlement. The big question I have is how will this AEM affect both performance and fuel economy after being installed on a Sprinter, since it will begin operating with all used components that could be 75% or more worn out, depending on age and mileage to date?

D

Deleted member 50714

Take into account that the USA hasn't built a modern fuel refinery since 1976 which is pitiful.

True, but there exists good reasons.

Also, after a refinery goes KABOOM, which is TOO common, damaged portions are upgraded.

I must share.

Summerland California then.
IMG_4031.JPG

[/QUOTE]

lindenengineering

Well in spite of predictions about peak oil etc etc, the real reason is environmental issues and NIMBY ism
There have been moves recently to build two new refineries in Texas.
One is to supply Mexico, enjoying rapid growth in wealth and transport needs .
Dennis

D

Deleted member 50714

All I know is oil companies pay well and spare no expense getting the crude.

Top Bottom