Some black gunk appearing on the engine... but probably not black death related?

eranrund

Hi!

I noticed the following on my engine:
1600287894910.png

1600287921963.png

Any idea what is this about? What sort of headache awaits me?

I removed the plastic cover and everything else looks nice and dry.

Thanks!

Attachments

trc.rhubarb

Isn't the oil filler directly up and to the left of that spot?
Looks like spilled motor oil to me... or possibly leaking through the bolt a little.

eranrund

I'll take another look, but from what I could tell that is the only area that has this gunk. The bolt seems like a good suspect. Is that a known/common problem?

Finn

It looks to me the aluimn head has a stress fracture on the left side of the picture bolt is loosen as result. I am a nuwbee to disel engines the bolts are stretch bolts it maybe leaking from loosen bolt or bolt failed their is a viedo on this on UTUBE I dont remeber the linck you can use Magna flux developer its two part spray the base is usually white tint and when you spray second part it will high light the fracture if their is one. I am a nuwbee to this site before I retired I use to be a Certified Welding Inspector with American Welding Society and no longer keep my Certification I am new to Disel engines Just trying to help you out I wish you well I too seek solutions bought my sprinter to keep me busy building one. WOW these units are expensive to repair and maintain

Top Bottom