Daimler AG to pay $1.5B to settle emissions cheating - 2010 through 2016 Sprinter vans with “BlueTEC II” diesel engines

lindenengineering

This true story can be a measure of good luck/bad luck, or pure genius when it came to taming diesel emissions by rudimentary controls or experimentation at least.
One country's university was away out in front on urea injection, when the rest the of the world were just trying to tame gasoline engine emissions..
Any idea of what country that was , and when?
Dennis

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
D

Deleted member 50714

I am going to check out the book.

Another occasion, many years later, a team member had locked her keys in her rental car.

I can't remember exacting what I used, a piece of stiff wire we scrounged in the parking lot maybe, but when I slipped it between the window sill to take a a blind stab at it and viola! Bob's your uncle, unlocked first try. Another Fonzi move and one in a million shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 50714

Did she marry you?
No, but reflecting back, she kept giving me the sheep's eye afterwards, even gave me a gift, band new pair of coveted company issue coveralls.

Guess I could've, should've, would've moved on her, but, I was focused on Monika Leah from Hawaii.... I mean Mission Impossible.

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
Another occasion, many years later, a team member had locked her keys in her rental car.

I can't remember exacting what I used, a piece of stiff wire we scrounged in the parking lot maybe, but when I slipped it between the window sill to take a a blind stab at it and viola! Bob's your uncle, unlocked first try. Another Fonzi move and one in a million shot.
I was on an "early" date (2nd, 3rd...) with a woman when I accidentally locked my keys in my car. We stopped by a clothing store on the way back to the car after our date activities (dinner, music, whatever) and acquired a metal clothes hanger that I used to unlock the car from the outside. She didn't admire my cleverness, she questioned my background. Sigh.

Many years later (me happily married with children) I was at my kids' preschool when one of the (single) moms came back in wringing her hands because she had locked herself out of her house and wanted to call a locksmith. I suggested that I could take a look at it before she got herself indebted to a locksmith. We went to her house and I opened her door with a credit card... she was exceptionally grateful. Just my luck the female who appreciated my talents came along later in life and not earlier.

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
This true story can be a measure of good luck/bad luck, or pure genius when it came to taming diesel emissions by rudimentary controls or experimentation at least.
One country's university was away out in front on urea injection, when the rest the of the world were just trying to tame gasoline engine emissions..
Any idea of what country that was , and when?
Dennis
Don't know the University or the country but there was work and patents on Urea injection to control NOx emissions as far back as the late 1950's

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
No, but reflecting back, she kept giving me the sheep's eye afterwards, even gave me a gift, band new pair of coveted company issue coveralls.

Guess I could've, should've, would've moved on her, but, I was focused on Monika Leah from Hawaii.... I mean Mission Impossible.
Were you both working in the prison? Were the overalls black and white striped by chance?

D

Deleted member 50714

Were you both working in the prison? Were the overalls black and white striped by chance?
You funny man Dave and do believe on the cusp of a comedic breakout.

It was actually at a SAC AFB near Abilene, TX.

Working what once was Top Secret stuff. So top secret, I don't even know what the hell I was working on.

But have pictures of the crew to prove it.

lindenengineering

Trying hard not to Google it!
Next strike - Germany in the 1930s?
Here's a clue.
What capital city with a university has the same topography & climatic conditions as Denver?
Had a bad air quality issue (nowadays even far worse) far higher than Denver's brown cloud, & the WHO declared its downtown area was so polluted it exceeded their maximum level of contamination and detrimental to sustained human health?
Dennis

Last edited:

ReGULT51

“What capital city with a university has the same topography & climatic conditions as Denver?”

Mexico City?
La Paz?

lindenengineering

No
It was Tehran in 1977.
The Iranians & an eminent professor of Chemistry in the University of Tehran was conducting what was really upon reflection a rudimentary DEF system on a double decker decker bus.
I got to see some of this which was clouded in some style of schoolboy secrecy acts when the bus broke down, and I observed what I know now as a rudimentary chemical liquid dispenser made from an office water fountain. When we got to the bus which was new ex works, & they were frantically taking out their kit.
From my observations I regarded it as a comedy act at the time, but upon later discussions with our engineering department in the UK I discovered that it was a very serious experiment well before its time. Thus giving admired kudos to Iranian ingenuity and their Chemistry department/faculty by our chief engineer who asked for a sketch from memory of what they had done and what was still in the bus when I got to it .

The consensus from our factory engineering dept was bloody marvelous, but prompted a comment that " One day Government will make us clean the air coming out of diesel engines better than what went in IN!"
Dennis

mikeme

2015 LTV IB: 2015 3500 V6
No
It was Tehran in 1977.
The Iranians & an eminent professor of Chemistry in the University of Tehran was conducting what was really upon reflection a rudimentary DEF system on a double decker decker bus.
I got to see some of this which was clouded in some style of schoolboy secrecy acts when the bus broke down, and I observed what I know now as a rudimentary chemical liquid dispenser made from an office water fountain. When we got to the bus which was new ex works, & they were frantically taking out their kit.
From my observations I regarded it as a comedy act at the time, but upon later discussions with our engineering department in the UK I discovered that it was a very serious experiment well before its time. Thus giving admired kudos to Iranian ingenuity and their Chemistry department/faculty by our chief engineer who asked for a sketch from memory of what they had done and what was still in the bus when I got to it .

The consensus from our factory engineering dept was bloody marvelous, but prompted a comment that " One day Government will make us clean the air coming out of diesel engines better than what went in IN!"
Dennis
I worked with an Iranian engineering student around this time. he was quite bright, we were working at the same lab on different space exploration projects.

also about this time, many of the Iranian students would protest the Shah with paper bags over their heads to avoid identification by the Iranian secret police. (in Ann Arbor Michigan) Needless to say, after the revolution, he was not eager to return home.

Top Bottom