Daimler AG to pay $1.5B to settle emissions cheating - 2010 through 2016 Sprinter vans with “BlueTEC II” diesel engines

showkey

As far as the Germans being picked on ??????????
One of the worst offenders caught a break ??????? Noise and emissions..........dealer installed no less !!!!!

Judge gives Harley-Davidson a break on $3M in fines
Legal battle over accessory tuning parts has dragged on for years

According to Reuters, this is all fallout from the 2016 showdown between Harley-Davidson and the feds, where H-D ended up with $12 million in fines, and promising not to sell accessories that changed its motorcycles’ tailpipe emissions, causing an increase in pollution. As part of the deal, Harley-Davidson also agreed to put $3 million towards a program that helped homeowners retrofit or replace their woodstoves, upgrading to home heating appliances that put out less pollution. Sort of a weird trade-off, but once the courts and the feds get involved, expect no less.

220817a

Independent & Self Reliant - From Chattanooga TN
I think in the VW deal, VW bought all the cars back. Maybe someone knows a bit more on this...
Then reselling them after getting them into compliance!-----For a premium price at select dealers . One is here in Denver.
Remember the US has big VW aficionado base.
Dennis
[/QUOTE]
That's correct... VW bought all the cars back. They had to clear out a huge area of their property and put down gravel in order to create a parking space for all the vehicles they bought back. I have seen it with my own eyes here in Chattanooga, it looked like they had hundreds and hundreds of thousands of vehicles.

One ugly thing that actually happened during the process of buying back is, many owners of the vehicles vandalized the vehicles on purpose as pay back. So... Not everything went that smooth for VW.

lindenengineering

Yes Dima
If you refer to that video there are examples of stripped cars being returned for a full cash payout.
Its so pure Americana, Woolly West Attitudes -"Oh sorry Dude didn't think for one minute that"--------!!! ! :LOL:

As for that storage debacle there was a huge parking lot out at Pikes Peak Raceway that caused a rumpus over land leasing and use compliance etc. not so long ago.

Funny thing is that if you wade through some of those attached so TDi posts ,there are those that opted for petrol (gasoline) VW's & had greater emissions related drive-ability problems but that was OK.
Oh this Auto business!
Cheers Dennis

220817a

Independent & Self Reliant - From Chattanooga TN
I haven't watched any videos... I saw the stripped out vehicles at the VW plant here Chattanooga. Some of the vehicles were in really bad shape. I mean, you could clearly see the damages were done on purpose.

Dzler

That's correct... VW bought all the cars back.
Incorrect. VW was not required to buy back all of the non compliant cars. There were several engines and emissions system variants covered under the settlement. Some were offered modifications only (newer vehicles) others modification or buyback. We selected the buyback on our ‘10 VW Jetta and took the modification+$+additional warranty on our ‘13 Audi Q7.

The warranty has proved valuable and even covered items clearly not related to the emissions modification (engine out for leaking rear main seal!)

I’m sure Mercedes learned quite a bit from the VW fiasco and owners will likely see a less generous if not more streamlined settlement.

mikeme

2015 LTV IB: 2015 3500 V6
The whole science in engine control is a wonder. even before you get to the emissions aspect.

and then add in the process of testing and the way the testing methods developed over the years, and it all is quite complex

the dynamics of the way engines move vehicles around the world, over a wide range of conditions, really is quite a challenge.

to get these things to work as well as they do, for as long as they do, is pretty impressive when you consider the details.

The specifics of the settlement are, of course, interesting to those of us who own these vehicles.

Reality is that these things are now supercomputers with a few peripherals (like a fuel pump..steering wheel.......)

D

Deleted member 50714

Bob... The information about MB's "cheat" is too vague... Actually it doesn't even make sense.

The case with the VW, it was not only that the software was programmed to cheat, but the whole design of the exhaust system with its 3 catalytic converters was flawed. This is not the case with MB, because they would have to recall not hundreds of thousands of vehicles but millions of vehicles. The only way it makes sence to me is, if there was some sort of issue with the software version (SW version). For example, 2010-2012 Sprinters have 2-3 different software version, it is not like for 2007-2009. 2007-2009 has the software.
Good day kind sir, are you feeling well, and have no other reasons not to honestly answer one question.

On your honor, how many pages of the lawsuit did you read? Particularly evidence presented by plaintiff?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 50714

The whole science in engine control is a wonder. even before you get to the emissions aspect.

and then add in the process of testing and the way the testing methods developed over the years, and it all is quite complex

the dynamics of the way engines move vehicles around the world, over a wide range of conditions, really is quite a challenge.

to get these things to work as well as they do, for as long as they do, is pretty impressive when you consider the details.

The specifics of the settlement are, of course, interesting to those of us who own these vehicles.

Reality is that these things are now supercomputers with a few peripherals (like a fuel pump..steering wheel.......)
Yes, you are correct, and why I preach specific power-up sequence.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Got the message from law firm today.

9/14/20: CASE UPDATE -- PROPOSED SETTLEMENT
We have reached a proposed $700M settlement with Mercedes in the Mercedes BlueTEC litigation. The settlement compensates current and former owners and lessees, provides an EPA and CARB emission modification free of charge, and an extended modification warranty. Current owners and lessees can get $3,290 or more, and former owners and lessees can get $822.50.

Owners of affected Mercedes diesel vehicles can receive the following:
  • An Approved Emissions Modification (AEM) free of charge and an extended modification warranty. From a separate settlement with federal and California regulators, these benefits are available even if you do not participate in the class action.
  • Protection pending the modification’s effects to your vehicle. AEMs installed in affected vehicles will come with additional protection, should the AEM affect your vehicle’s performance. Affected owners are slated to receive compensation depending on whether the AEM affected fuel economy, horsepower, torque and/or other aftereffects of the emissions modification. Owners may also be able to receive payment for transportation costs in the event their installation of an AEM takes more than three hours to complete.
  • Payment for Mercedes’ diesel emissions deficiencies. Under the settlement, current owners and lessees can receive $3,290 if no former owner/lessee submits a claim for the same vehicle. If a former owner/lessee does submit a claim for the same vehicle, current owners and lessees can receive $2,467.50. Former owners and lessees can receive $822.50, divided equally among former owners/lessees who submit claims for the same vehicle.
  • Additional payment. For current owners and lessees who have an AEM installed, additional payments may be available under various circumstances. Owners may also receive additional payment if an AEM is not available by October 2022.
More information can be found at the settlement website, www.mbbluetecsettlement.com.

What do Mercedes owners need to do now?
To obtain a payment under the settlement, eligible former owners/lessees must submit a complete claim by the later of 75 days after the notice date, or the date the Court finally approves the settlement.

Current owners/lessees must have the AEM installed and submit a claim by October 1, 2022 in order to be eligible to receive money. AEMs will become available on a rolling basis after Mercedes’ separate settlement with U.S. authorities is approved; please continue to check the Settlement Website for updated information. You may also call 1-877-313-0170 toll-free to find out whether an AEM is available for your Subject Vehicle. For more details about the AEMs and Extended Modification Warranty, please visit bluetecupdate.mbusa.com.

In the coming weeks, there will be a Settlement Website (www.mbbluetecsettlement.com) with further information about the settlement, as well as updates about the deadline to submit your claim.

Affected Models
Affected BlueTEC vehicles include:
  • E250 BlueTEC 2014-2016
  • E350 BlueTEC 2011-2013
  • GL320 BlueTEC 2009
  • GL350 BlueTEC 2010-2016
  • GLE300d 2016
  • GLE350d 2016
  • GLK250 BlueTEC 2013-2015
  • ML250 BlueTEC 2015
  • ML320 BlueTEC 2009
  • ML350 BlueTEC 2010-2014
  • R320 BlueTEC 2009
  • R350 BlueTEC 2010-2012
  • S350 BlueTEC 2012-2013
  • Mercedes-Benz or Freightliner Sprinter (4-cylinder) 2014-2016
  • Mercedes-Benz or Freightliner Sprinter (6-cylinder) 2010-2016

mikeme

2015 LTV IB: 2015 3500 V6
Got the message from law firm today.
Did you register for the class action?

Just wondering why you got the message and I have not.

please up date when you see any content in the web sites listed in the message.

Thanks

D

Deleted member 50714

Did you register for the class action?

Just wondering why you got the message and I have not.

please up date when you see any content in the web sites listed in the message.

Thanks
Mike, are you registered?

Bluetechs not ready for prime time technology, makes me so glad I bought an 06 T1N when I did a decade ago, and precisely why I chose a T1N to begin with.

These very same engines in other MB models show the capacity they have built-in from the factory. Naturally, Sprinters have a lot more to deal with their size. To fault anyone for wanting to have a little of what other MB models with the same motor has, is only natural.

With so many reported problems on our newer Sprinters breaking down because of this technology, anyone seeking a better way for longterm reliability always seems to attract criticism. MB does not have all the answers. If they did, the newer models would keep rolling on and on and not have to deal with an emissions system failure that has proven itself unreliable.

I believe driving style choices can make a difference in preventing and delaying some of these emission system failures, but that is limited, and eventually every newer Sprinter will have to deal with paying out big time to keep their vans on the road.

We should have better expectations from Mother Benz. This must make me an Utopian pollyanna dreamer and I can live with that.

Easy for me to say when all I have is an EGR to deal with.

Have at it. I am here to learn from others, as I have for a decade. My observations are worth that much and nothing more. This forum is invaluable. We can all agree on that, if nothing else.

D

Deleted member 50714

All of my vehicles are almost exclusively Japanese and have been virtually failure free.
Although I don't have that many miles on it. Same for the Mercedes Benz.

One reason I attribute to reliability is we don't use the dealership service department because they're slobs when they change the oil. Might be poking holes in hydraulic airconditioning hoses with needles, slicing Serp belts half way through. Losen engine critical electrical connectors.

It's all about system preventive maintenance and learning the optimal vehicle operating envelope. This requires exhaustive study and interpretation beyond the motivation of most.

Bawareca

All of my vehicles are almost exclusively Japanese and have been virtually failure free.
Although I don't have that many miles on it. Same for the Mercedes Benz.

One reason I attribute to reliability is we don't use the dealership service department because they're slobs when they change the oil. Might be poking holes in hydraulic airconditioning hoses with needles, slicing Serp belts half way through. Losen engine critical electrical connectors.

It's all about system preventive maintenance and learning the optimal vehicle operating envelope. This requires exhaustive study and interpretation beyond the motivation of most.
And some luck too....

D

Deleted member 50714

And some luck too....
Ain't that the truth.

I'll share a story. I was 19 and driving a type VW Automatic hundreds of miles from home, stopped for gas. Car wouldn't start. Crawled partly under passenger side and noticed the neutral safety switch had back out. Just enough. I had no clue where the what it is at time but didn't take a genius to figure it out once tightened and car started. I remember the switch resembled the oil Pressure sensor nortorisly known to puke oil.

But now, as an old man, I reflect and question if was just luck? It's like I instinctively knew where to look and fixed it in less than a minute. I sure looked the genius to the girlfriend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom