New Owner 2006 Free Spirit Extra wires at the chassis battery

Sent tinman message too fast. My roof air was an option added by Leisure Travel Cans at a cos t of $3,330. when they did the conversion in 2007.

tinman

How is the second cable connected to the positive terminal? I retraced the smaller black wire in the picture and it goes to the steering column fuse panel. Not sure which fuse yet. Do you have the smaller black wire under the hood like I do on your Free Spirit. connected to the battery?
My rear air is low profile rooftop 110 volt air. The Vin decoder for Mercedes shows it was factory installed, code 580.
Standby. I'll post a photo in a couple of hours. It is connected to a terminal on the battery positive clamp.

tinman

Photo attached.There are two light gauge red wires in the black housing, which join up with a bundle. Without some ripping and tearing, I can't tell whether they are then in a branch that passes through the the firewall high on the driver's side, or continues aft toward the back of the engine compartment, driver's side.

Attachments

Photo attached.There are two light gauge red wires in the black housing, which join up with a bundle. Without some ripping and tearing, I can't tell whether they are then in a branch that passes through the the firewall high on the driver's side, or continues aft toward the back of the engine compartment, driver's side.
Thank you so much tinman. The photo is the missing link I need to give me the courage to hook up the wires and see what happens. I believe the broker who sold me the motorhome did not know what to do with the wires so he left them disconnected. My electrical abilities are limited. I will be with son-in-law latter in the week and with his help, I will check it out.
Still learning how to use this teriffic site and express my gratitude to all that have helped me. Any suggestions are welcomed. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU.

I didn't read all of the replies. Apologies if I'm repeating.

From the pictures it looks like the OEM red alternator wire was replaced with a heavier gauge black wire. Was the alternator upgraded to 200 amp?

The left connected black wire is definitely not OEM. (Note the thin multi strands.) The heavy disconnected red wire being held appears to be the OEM alternator wire.

The red wires on the fuse block all appear to be OEM.

The smaller disconnected wire has an aftermarket lug on the end.

My guess.
The OEM alternator wire aka cable was replaced with a larger sized black cable. The OEM red alternator wire was never removed, but left hanging.

The smaller wire with aftermarket crimp lug is/was for some aftermarket device which is no longer, or is just disconnected and not missed.

:2cents: vic

Added:
Crawl under and look at the alternator. If there is a heavy black cable connected and a red wire hanging it supports my guess. If it is as described you definitely DO NOT want to reconnect that heavy red wire.

Last edited:

tinman

Here's a better look at where the red wire heads off to. It's in a bundle that heads back, probably to the driver's seat. Given that OP's is reading house battery voltage, I suspect it goes to the house battery isolation relay.image.jpeg

Top Bottom