DEF problem - 10 starts left - warranty just expired - anyone ever gotten MB to help

D

Deleted member 50714

Well you need a bi directional scan tool.
These Chinese clones are useful for this activity at about $600 for a clone Xentry.
I get them from ChinaCarsDiag.com .
I will have two surplus units for sale soon, & I buy them every year or so for my guys as Christmas presents as they are replaced with more later ones .
They are a bit tedious to set up but useful for DIY work.
Dennis
?Bravo Bravo! The Art the Sale eh? Segued right into a sales pitch.

I'll bet a weeks pay you're a real smoothy wit der jolies dames.;)

Last edited by a moderator:

cvo

Knock on wood. I've been driving diesel Sprinters since 2011 and haven't been exposed to this problem or any of the common problems Back in 2014 I had a NOX fail under warranty.
Always used dealer for all services.

Last edited:

cheerios

Well, I haven't followed much of the recent discussion.

MB CS hasn't called me back yet, though they were supposed to today. I'm going to let it sit a day or two with them, and go pick up the van at the South Charlotte dealer and pay what they tell me to pay tomorrow, presumably $1k. Will keep y'all updated.

D

Deleted member 50714

I know I had this somewhere. I think applies to Canada not USA but would plead, "Why them and not us?"

IMG_3943.JPG

lindenengineering

Simple Yankeeland
It doesn't apply to you as American owners, its Canada & Canadian warranty policy !
In short its a different territory is Canada, & its governed by different set of warranty tariffs built into the purchase amongst other things.
Canadians are probably paying for it in the MSRP.
Yanks are not included as Canada is different territory unless there is some sort of infringement policy agreed upon at the time of purchase with Canadian dealer.
Dennis

D

Deleted member 50714

That all may be true, but never hurts to ask and whom is asked matters. Gotta develop the "inside man" and ain't talkin dealership level.

Additionally, the defect apparently knows no borders.

Last edited by a moderator:

lindenengineering

How many times have I had to state a position like this over a warranty policy effective in Iran & over the border in Iraq . Same vehicle, similar topography but different set of rules and tariffs applied
Now boiled down its all about the money.
Dennis

D

Deleted member 50714

Filed complaint several years ago when I first became aware of this egregious dereliction of engineering negligence and or incompetence.

lindenengineering

AND!
Don't tell me it got Binned in Bin 13?
In the export service office where i worked the chef engineer who who had control over most things, would take a fag lighter to an "inadequate" engineering drawing, or a customer empty inquiry like that & set fire to it throwing it in flames into the tin waste paper bin and dousing the flames with coffee or tea dregs. Made the women in the occif screech with glee
Dennis

D

Deleted member 50714

How many times have I had to state a position like this over a warranty policy effective in Iran & over the border in Iraq . Same vehicle, similar topography but different set of rules and tariffs applied
Dennis
La pista falsa...

cheerios

Oh, how you two go on...

In the spirit of things, I will say I'm a Canadian/US dual citizen. Maybe I should bring my sweet girl across the border?

I kid, I kid...

autostaretx

Erratic Member
In the spirit of things, I will say I'm a Canadian/US dual citizen. Maybe I should bring my sweet girl across the border?
I see two possible outcomes (and you can get BOTH!!)
(1) you'll be told it only applies to Canadian-Purchased Sprinters
(2) you'll be told it doesn't comply with Canadian EPA regulations, so has to be immediately exported ...
... or surrendered to the crusher.
I kid, I kid...
ditto ... at least on #2 ...

--dick

D

Deleted member 50714

Dennis
I see two possible outcomes (and you can get BOTH!!)
(1) you'll be told it only applies to Canadian-Purchased Sprinters
(2) you'll be told it doesn't comply with Canadian EPA regulations, so has to be immediately exported ...
... or surrendered to the crusher.

ditto ... at least on #2 ...

--dick

lindenengineering

Folks
Bob reminds me of a typical American customer who is looking for a warranty where non really exists because it as expired or isn't applicable.
Having adjudicated such activities around the world its frankly quite amusing to see national characteristics at work.
Some customer exchange dialogue can make you chuckle .
Here are some of the most memorable ones:_

I was asked if the check engine was on! I lifted the hood and checked! The engine is there and running! Its :thumbup: on!
I am confused.

I received a letter from Landover about the risk of fire in the dashboard of my new Range Rover . Your visiting engineer Mr Williams gave instructions that on-one was to start it up , but your transport technician defied that order, started it up and set the dash on fire, filling the cabin with smoke. I am making a claim because this is a microcosms of England these days, where nobody gives a schit!

I am lodging a claim and a strong complaint about my new Jaguar XJ12
One of your nincompoops (a Pakistani) at your Kuwaiti dealerships filled my automatic gearbox with Landrover gear oil Now it won't change out of 1st gear .
I am making a claim
Please in future I want only English mechanics working on my Jaguar. Please fly your best chaps out at your earliest convenience to fix my car.

A bonefide claim about steering on a truck
.Customer was French in Bordeaux with a very string agricultural accent.
I could get the basic dialogue by concentration of the caller's voice, but when I asked about the model and the year of the truck, he kept stating it was a "Klee dees dahl" ! Confused and frustrated both of us. I asked can you spell it letter by letter ?
Peut tu l'épeler?
Oui monsieur "C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E"!
Oh a bloody Clydesdale why didn't you say so!

Now one everyone can appreciate.
An owner was having a huge run around getting his Austin Allegro fixed under warranty . I called that crap "One Leg Crow" ,
This poor fellow had been fobbed off by every car division and transferred to big Truck & Bus Div, where he had my sympathetic ear.
Having listened at length to his lurid story, I had to mention that he he had been transferred to the wrong division.
Oh No! Not again was his plaintiff retort.
Don't worry Sir I will look into it .
Once I have some information I will call you back.
They all say that!
Here are my phone numbers & call this its my private number right now and I will answer it .
Suffice to state that they got a new car from the dealer after they had dicked it up!
Latterly I got a postcard
Thanks for you lorry blokes for helping us out .
We got new car an estate car version with leather upholstery.
This means we can take two disabled fellow ex servicemen to the 50 year D Day anniversary In France..
We are old ex service people members of the Woking British Legion.
Thank so much for all your help.
Doris & Len.

What more can you state! :thumbup:
Dennis
'cept perhaps the sound of the forces sweetheart to close the post

lindenengineering

Now after reading my humorous post about warranty claimers perhaps you might want to consider that Canadian diesel might just be better refined and of higher quality than the "stuff" available here in the US.
Dennis

cheerios

Update #2: After waiting a week or two without a call, I called Mercedes customer service back. They were a bit confused and apologetic to learn that the work was already completed and paid for by us. Basically, goodwill contributions don't work like that, and they can't reimburse after the fact.

They transferred me to a very nice gentleman who apparently is a higher up in customer service specifically for Sprinter exhaust. He also was a bit confused as to why the dealership had me pay upfront, but he very kindly sent me a $300 credit for future dealer service at any MB dealer. He also sent through a handy $ incentive that can be used on any new or leased model.

Sprinter's still running great. Now to decide whether I should trade it in on a new one. And gas or diesel?

Top Bottom