Emissions & dealing with the Fat Heads

turbo911

only available in calif under limited conditions. remember what happened to gm ev. when i see hydrogen fuel stations in the nw or east coast or anywhere but california we will then define commercially available, right now its an experiment by CARB. pity the buyers who take or break down out of state.

jbrownmxr

Dennis brings to light an intersting thought. The emissions system as a service item. I hadn’t considered it that way till now. I’d be willing to pay 1-2K every 5 years or so for such a thing. If I could replace systems relatively cheaply to have the peace of mind for reliability I’d do so.

lindenengineering

Well guys
I posed a few questions within this thread recently about the inescapable fact that most Sprinters owners (whether original buyers or successive purchasers the same as used) would experience a SCR Cat or NOx failure at between 130,000 to 180,000 miles . Current cost would be $2220 and if you include NOx sensors would elevate the charge out rate to around $3500.
Now the manufacturers including MB don't mention any of theses inescapable facts.

So the question to reiterate was, " Would that fact deter you from buying a Sprinter?"
Furthermore if the sales person advised you of that inescapable financial inevitability just before signing with "Dan" in the F&I office "Would that deter you from buying it?"

Now asking difficult questions such as these as expected result in tangential replies without answering the specific question.

So being well connected "as trade" with several brand dealers I spoke to sales people engaged in selling popular brand models with known expensive repair scenarios at the stated mileages.
So now in the real world scenario many of you don't want to think about, & only discuss it with a "whine like a badly set up differential" post when that time comes and faced with the repair with screams of STEALERSHIP .

I discussed this with one MB sales guys posing the same question & the answer was as expected:-
I am not going to mention anything negative that might jeopardize a sale , my living is made selling the positives like MB lifestyles not the inevitability of repairs in our shop down the road . Besides if I did that I would get fired.
Really its like these fools that buy some of our models with 20" low aspect ratio tires that last 20,000 miles and cost $450 each & when they try to go of roading they get destroyed almost immediately
Then there's those with staggered sizes and really moan when you can't do a rotation buy have to buy new tires .
Once the sales is done I am done.
The same can be said of no dipstick these days. Most MB buyers never lift the hood relying upon our service department to check the oil.
If you want to buy it I am there to sell it to you.

The same can be said of certified used at the dealership lot. (sorry pre owned )

And
At the bottom of the pecking order we have Arfur Daly Motors with slogan like "Everybody rides" and "I will take you for a no obligation ride in any of our sparking as new models on the lot" & "There's a butt for every seat" .f
Of course Arfur has found that sparkling model at a dealer only auction where factory dealerships dispose of the "trade in chaff" as having got the cross of Dracula sign by a dealership used car manager. The prospect of an imminent new exhaust pollution treatment system costing $5500 is just around the bend as the tail lights disappear with the warranty which didn't really exist and the sticker was thrown in the office trash can the bearing the words "AS IS"
Truth be known it was why the rig got traded in the first place, The prospect of a $5500 emissions compliance bill created the trade and the thing is a week away from the undertaker when the CEL & count down lights come on.

So you join the Sprinter Forums hoping to glean a "quick cheap fix" which doesn't exist as the system has aged & you need to buy a NEW system!
Again that is something no-one is talking about, except us that the dirty hands end under the hoist .

So from the thread posts so far I get the impression reinforced over many years that most of the car buying public and that includes Sprinter buyers really don't care about the repair & service obligations until inevitably faced with the bill to fix it.
Is that a correct assessment?
Dennis

Last edited:

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
I believe you are talking about highest Presidential campaign contributors.

MB countdowns are often subject of anger, but fact is that it is efficient way to make "Fat heads" to perform their duties.
I took my Ford diesel to low DEF level and got message "100 miles till vehicle speed will be limited to 50mph".
Not the message who make me feeling good and I can only imagine the danger of freeway driving in vehicle with such limit.
That message if much more intelligent than Sprinter instant LHM when you are passing cars on a two lane road.

126v8

Well guys
I posed a few questions within this thread recently about the inescapable fact that most Sprinters owners (whether original buyers or successive purchasers the same as used) would experience a SCR Cat or NOx failure at between 130,000 to 180,000 miles . Current cost would be $2220 and if you include NOx sensors would elevate the charge out rate to around $3500.
Now the manufacturers including MB don't mention any of theses inescapable facts.

So the question to reiterate was, " Would that fact deter you from buying a Sprinter?"
Furthermore if the sales person advised you of that inescapable financial inevitability just before signing with "Dan" in the F&I office "Would that deter you from buying it?"

Now asking difficult questions such as these as expected result in tangential replies without answering the specific question.

So being well connected "as trade" with several brand dealers I spoke to sales people engaged in selling popular brand models with known expensive repair scenarios at the stated mileages.
So now in the real world scenario many of you don't want to think about, & only discuss it with a "whine like a badly set up differential" post when that time comes and faced with the repair with screams of STEALERSHIP .

I discussed this with one MB sales guys posing the same question & the answer was as expected:-
I am not going to mention anything negative that might jeopardize a sale , my living is made selling the positives like MB lifestyles not the inevitability of repairs in our shop down the road . Besides if I did that I would get fired.
Really its like these fools that buy some of our models with 20" low aspect ratio tires that last 20,000 miles and cost $450 each & when they try to go of roading they get destroyed almost immediately
Then there's those with staggered sizes and really moan when you can't do a rotation buy have to buy new tires .
Once the sales is done I am done.
The same can be said of no dipstick these days. Most MB buyers never lift the hood relying upon our service department to check the oil.
If you want to buy it I am there to sell it to you.

The same can be said of certified used at the dealership lot. (sorry pre owned )

And
At the bottom of the pecking order we have Arfur Daly Motors with slogan like "Everybody rides" and "I will take you for a no obligation ride in any of our sparking as new models on the lot" & "There's a butt for every seat" .f
Of course Arfur has found that sparkling model at a dealer only auction where factory dealerships dispose of the "trade in chaff" as having got the cross of Dracula sign by a dealership used car manager. The prospect of an imminent new exhaust pollution treatment system costing $5500 is just around the bend as the tail lights disappear with the warranty which didn't really exist and the sticker was thrown in the office trash can the bearing the words "AS IS"
Truth be known it was why the rig got traded in the first place, The prospect of a $5500 emissions compliance bill created the trade and the thing is a week away from the undertaker when the CEL & count down lights come on.

So you join the Sprinter Forums hoping to glean a "quick cheap fix" which doesn't exist as the system has aged & you need to buy a NEW system!
Again that is something no-one is talking about, except us that the dirty hands end under the hoist .

So from the thread posts so far I get the impression reinforced over many years that most of the car buying public and that includes Sprinter buyers really don't care about the repair & service obligations until inevitably faced with the bill to fix it.
Is that a correct assessment?
Dennis
I reiterate I would be willing to prepay over time towards that bill.That is why I will only buy new.
The Sprinter is more comfortable for me (seat,driving position,legroom)
Still amazes me how they overtake me on the freeway in my 6.0 Chevy express which has more power and torque

Top Bottom