I Line-X'ed My Entire, Brand New Sprinter...

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I understand you had Line-X shop spraying the stuff? Can you buy it for DIY?
Any close-up picture at angle?
How does it shine?

Jonnyfive

I understand you had Line-X shop spraying the stuff? Can you buy it for DIY?
Any close-up picture at angle?
How does it shine?
Yes, I had it done professionally. You can certainly DIY it and probably spend a grand or less assuming you have proper equipment. There are plenty of examples of this online on different overlander vehicles. It's these examples that made me very scared to do this to my van, since they're all pretty terrible looking (I think many of them were rattle can jobs).

It's very smokey down here from the fires so pictures are a challenge right now. I don't have any more to share at the moment.

It shines just the perfect amount on the gray, however, the black is a bit glossy for my tastes, especially on the flares. This is why I'm considering changing the flares back to gray. The pictures make it look slightly flatter than reality. I'm hoping it might mellow slightly though so I'm unsure, and am going to wait a week or two before making that decision. The shop was nice enough to offer to change it for free if I wanted.

Vailcomp

The black Line-x will fade. I had my lower panels done about 3 months ago, at first too shiny , They faded out, looks better now. Your rig looks great. I think we maybe neighbors as I know the location you shot these at. I have a white poptop 4x4 sprinter.

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
LINE-X weighs around .7 pounds per square foot so I guess you could do a general calculation based on the area of your van, depending on wheelbase, body style, and roof height.
I'm going to assume the .7 pounds per sq ft. is for a weighty impact protection when applied as a bed liner. Very different l assume when applied as a exterior finish like the OP did, the practice application would be thin the product both in viscosity and the applied finish thickness.

krasheq

2019 4x4 V6
Yeah, I did it. Had a hard time finding many examples during my decision making process, but decided to take the plunge anyway. I'll be bringing it back in next week as there's a couple places that need touch up, at which time I'll be deciding if I will stay with the black flares or have them color matched to the rest of the van.

I forgot to take pictures of the doors and door jambs, but I also had all of the exterior facing door jambs done in line-x. All of the doors on the interior were done in the same paint color as the exterior, except smooth and without the "grit".

Oh and since everyone is bound to ask and nobody ever likes answering publicly: expect this to set you back roughly $8K-$9K.

Feel free to follow along on Insta for further adventures in the conversion: @jonandannadventurevan

In case the pictures die at some point in the future, here they are on Imgur:
Without further ado, here she is.

View attachment 153071View attachment 153072View attachment 153073View attachment 153074View attachment 153075
Did you buy rear step online? Share link please

JCramer

2019 MB Sprinter 3500 Coachmen Galleria
Looks awesome but..They missed the rear wheel wells. Bet this will reduce fuel economy as well due to reduced aerodynamics.
Probably will not affect the mileage discernibly as the surface friction would not be a factor at the speeds a sprinter is capable of attaining. I did the research once after falling for my father making me wax the family car every year before vacation so we could save enough money on gas to buy souvenir t shirts.

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
I'm thinking the textured surface will trap a lot of road grime and require lots more elbow power to clean...

_Zach

•͡˘㇁•͡˘
I'm thinking the textured surface will trap a lot of road grime and require lots more elbow power to clean...
Likely less than you think. The surface is “textured,” but there aren’t deep, inaccessible crevices. My Jeep interior is Line-X coated, and all it takes is a stream of water from the hose to clean it off.

Top Bottom