infinitely reconfigurable rig

Riptide

For how you're using the winch, you're not going to need a very thick line, which means lighter per foot, or longer line for the same volume. Just for a quick check, Master-Pull sells their 5/16" line, 100', which weighs 5 lbs, and rated at over 12K lbs. You could definitely drop down to ATV winch line, around 3/16", but might have difficulty finding it lengths longer than 50'.

Here's an outfit that might make a line as long as you want. Use a soft shackle as well, to prevent dinging your sled; they're awesome.

Last edited:

autocamp

un-Airstream'ed & un-Dodged NAFTA JC
I agree at 5 degree ramp angle very little force is needed to get the car onto the trailer. In fact the tow anchor on the car is intended for emergency recovery on track only, and is not recommended to winch against substantial incline. My goal is to reuse the 50' 1/4" synthetic line that I bought for the manual winch. I have not swap them over as I want to use the manual one one last time to pick up the car from the track garage on the last track day. The powered winch will be a winter project.

Riptide

I agree at 5 degree ramp angle very little force is needed to get the car onto the trailer. In fact the tow anchor on the car is intended for emergency recovery on track only, and is not recommended to winch against substantial incline. My goal is to reuse the 50' 1/4" synthetic line that I bought for the manual winch. I have not swap them over as I want to use the manual one one last time to pick up the car from the track garage on the last track day. The powered winch will be a winter project.
Yeah, duh, 50' should be plenty. Not sure what I was thinking; I had it in my mind you needed something longer, after you mentioning you needed 80' just to accommodate your whole rig. Lost sight of the fact that for your trailer and ramps, 50' is probably adequate (although in the 4X4 world,you usually want the drum to have a layer on it to protect from the heat of the drum, which is why many lines have the protective sheath on them for the first couple of feet. But as you said, you're not really putting much load on the winch).

autocamp

I should had mentioned that when I spec'ed the manual winch, I didn't intend to use it to load and unload the cars I had then. They all can be easily be driven up and down the 11 degree ramps. The winch was only to be use to load a disabled car, as anything can happen on the track. Hence the winch line needs to be able to pull a good fraction of a 3200 lb car. Loading and unloading the Radical by myself will require the use of an electric winch with a wireless remote so I can accurately steer it within +/- 0.5 inch laterally onto the trailer deck.

This is the 50' synthetic line that I bought for the manual winch. It is well constructed with a jacket on the lead about 3' long, rated at 7000 lb.

IMG_4238 (1).jpeg

autocamp

To illustrate how versatile the JC is to adapt to my hobbies and activities over the decade here are some old photos of how I used it for boardsailing. Being so tall and already badly affected by head and side winds the last thing I wanted to do is to add external carriers for the equipment. For a 18.5 feet Sprinter chassis without resorting to dualies it is nothing short of remarkable. All my equipment is stored inside, even with a place to hang the wet wet suit.

the most amazing thing is how I am able to get the board and the two sets of masts up onto the upper berth; all because of the well placed bathroom and its door

a shortest Sprinter based motorhome

this longer Sprinter based motorhome carries its gears with a tail mounted purpose made rack

Top Bottom