Is the 170 Ext 4x4 too big?

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
General rule in RVing
"If road condition require 4WD, or chains, better camp waiting for better weather"
Also "no chain" for AWD in California has its weigh limit. Even Sprinter might not be that heavy (I remember it like 10k lb GWV) the big size will make Caltrans worker to ask for chains and you will be not in situation to dispute it.
Been there, done that.

I would love a 144, but one of my must-haves is a shower/toilet and that is going to eat up a lot of room. We would also think we would like to have a fixed bed. THat kind of puts us in the 170 or maybe an AWD Transit high roof extended.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
How much more?
Sprinters do have generous clearance and I can craw under Sprinter easier than under my F350, but it is long overhang that makes for low departure angle.
Meaning 1" more clearance will make for 1/4" difference at rear bumper when you are in pothole.
Bottom line, if you want 4WD Sprinter for slippery roads, that is your choice, but forget about getting the bus on dirt roads.

Airtime

General rule in RVing
"If road condition require 4WD, or chains, better camp waiting for better weather"
I plan on extended ski trips in US and Canadian Rockies. I think I'll continue to drive in snowy conditions rather than camp waiting for better weather.
Bottom line, if you want 4WD Sprinter for slippery roads, that is your choice, but forget about getting the bus on dirt roads.
I think you're being a bit too black and white with that statement. No one is going to take their Sprinter on the Rubicon trail, but there's a lot of distance between that and a paved highway, a lot of terrain that can be explored. I don't need to go off road in my van, but I do want to get to the end of the road.

My 2019 3500XD 170 4x4 Cargo van measures 23.5" at the rear of the body, which means a departure angle of 20.3 degrees. Not quite as good as my Jeep, but not too bad either. And in the middle, I measure 18" of clearance. I think it will navigate some pretty rough dirt roads with deep ruts and potholes with more assurance than in a 2WD 170.

As for the 170 Ext, the extra length is all behind the rear wheels so it will be much more compromised but there are still many dirt roads that would be accessible in such a vehicle. Personally I wouldn't choose it, but no need to "forget about getting the bus on dirt roads."

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Ski trip is not camping, so we are comparing apples to oranges.
Talking about dirt roads, I found https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=matt's+off+road+recovery
pretty interesting series.
How easy people run themselves in deep S**T just becouse they have macho vehicle.
I visit the area where Matt operates with my RV and Lone Rock beach campground is featured on some of those videos.
So going there we never need TV or movies.
Set a chair at 1 of those sandy roads and entertainment will come in minutes.
2nd choice is sandy boat ramp.
If you pay some attention, this is in Utah close to AZ state line.
Yet, seems 75% rescued vehicles have CA licence plates.

Airtime

Ski trip is not camping, so we are comparing apples to oranges.
Talking about dirt roads, I found https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=matt's+off+road+recovery
pretty interesting series.
How easy people run themselves in deep S**T just becouse they have macho vehicle.
I visit the area where Matt operates with my RV and Lone Rock beach campground is featured on some of those videos.
So going there we never need TV or movies.
Set a chair at 1 of those sandy roads and entertainment will come in minutes.
2nd choice is sandy boat ramp.
If you pay some attention, this is in Utah close to AZ state line.
Yet, seems 75% rescued vehicles have CA licence plates.
I don't really care if it's "camping" or not, for me it's about travel in all its forms. I plan to stay overnight in ski area parking lots, going from place to place.

And yes I'm well acquainted with new 4x4 owners finding out it allows them to get stuck in worse places. I've been around 4x4s a long time, my first vehicle was a 1947 CJ-2A growing up in Montana. I think the 170 4x4 will do fine for the mission I have in mind for it.

Dave D

Thats my biggest concern, the clearance!
Ive got a 144 4x4 and installed a pop top to provide a fixed bed and more flexibility in the layout, including seatbelts for 5. but Fixed showers really don’t work well in low roof vans. I think a 170 ext would be way too big in back. A few weeks ago at the adventure van expo in Tahoe, RRE was showing a German made pop top on a 170 that they plan to import. Never seen a poptop or a long or tall van before. It could open up a lot of design options.8211C99C-FF48-4DA9-86AE-C94BAF29E4FF.jpeg

Yeah, I've decided against the 4x4 extended.. Too long and likely too little capacity. Honestly, I think it is going to be a 170 RWD (not extended) or a high roof extended transit now (probably AWD). I really want a sprinter but there are things that keep pointing me towards the Transit.

I don't really care if it's "camping" or not, for me it's about travel in all its forms. I plan to stay overnight in ski area parking lots, going from place to place.

And yes I'm well acquainted with new 4x4 owners finding out it allows them to get stuck in worse places. I've been around 4x4s a long time, my first vehicle was a 1947 CJ-2A growing up in Montana. I think the 170 4x4 will do fine for the mission I have in mind for it.
Looking at the same vehicle for the same mission and feel I want as much room as possible for full time powder chasing. Where do you ski?

aksotar

2017 4x4 144 Cargo
If you're thinking you'd need the length of a 170ext then why not just get a class C ?!?
if using for skiing have you considered you'd need to heat your water and holding tanks too... Winter use requires a far different build, no hook ups in ski resort parking lots that I've ever seen....
you'll always be parking an ext amongst the big RVs anyways... it will also limit the size of any dirt roads you may want to explore...
you really can't carry any more weight but the increased volume will tempt you to overload it...
starting my third Winter in Ak in my 4x4 144, it's my daily driver, I have always driven a truck before this...

• Thanks
Reactions: mve
To get what I want inside and out would cost an arm and a leg if I were to try and have one outfitted from a factory. No thanks! I don't plan to be using RV parks. I don't have any attraction to RV parks at all. We are trying to be off-grid camping and exploring. Kind of came to the realization a few posts back that the 170ext was out of the picture and it will either be a regular 170 or Transit.

Airtime

Looking at the same vehicle for the same mission and feel I want as much room as possible for full time powder chasing. Where do you ski?
I'm in North Idaho so mainly northern Rockies and quite a bit just across the border in BC, Red Mountain and Whitewater. But plan to go further afield and longer in my 4 season van once it's done.
If you're thinking you'd need the length of a 170ext then why not just get a class C ?!?
if using for skiing have you considered you'd need to heat your water and holding tanks too... Winter use requires a far different build, no hook ups in ski resort parking lots that I've ever seen....
you'll always be parking an ext amongst the big RVs anyways... it will also limit the size of any dirt roads you may want to explore...
you really can't carry any more weight but the increased volume will tempt you to overload it...
starting my third Winter in Ak in my 4x4 144, it's my daily driver, I have always driven a truck before this...
I agree you don't need an Ext, or at least I don't... Skiis will fit just fine in a gear garage under a rear platform bed. Using mine for windsurfing too so I do have 8' boards to carry, but I figured out a way to tuck the tips into part of my oven cabinet and keep the gear garage at 6' plus the extra 6-8" at the rear doors. My build thread shows the layout. 144 simply cannot work for my mission, if it did I would have just bought a Revel and be using it already.

Well understood on winter build. My water tank will be inside heated space. Gray tank can take RV antifreeze. And as for 4x4, the 170 does lose some capability over the 144 but not so much since much of the extra length is in the wheelbase, not hanging back of the rear wheels to drag in the dirt like the 170 Ext.

Airtime

To get what I want inside and out would cost an arm and a leg if I were to try and have one outfitted from a factory. No thanks! I don't plan to be using RV parks. I don't have any attraction to RV parks at all. We are trying to be off-grid camping and exploring. Kind of came to the realization a few posts back that the 170ext was out of the picture and it will either be a regular 170 or Transit.
Same here, I looked at the Revel but not enough gear room for my mission. Called Outside Van and got a quote of $120-130k just for the conversion, not including the van (?!?!). So I'm building a 170 4x4.

• Thanks
Reactions: mve

T town

Off the top of my head, Bachelor in Oregon has some electrical hookups. As to size, I’m planning on having 4 people eat and sleep. A Revel is WAY too small inside for that. Plus little gear space. Gotta have length and a sparse interior.

I am buying a van to convert for travel, for my wife and I, and have been on the fence on which model is for me. The 144 is not going to allow me the space to have a fixed shower/bathroom and some decent storage and kitchen prep space. Now I am trying to decide whether I want 4x4 (I doubt I really NEED it, but I do want it and they look bad a$$) and whether the 170 extended is too big. I could get away with the 170 for sure but I could probably find uses for the extra space. I figure I will probably use it for a little while then resell it at some point before it shows too much wear. Do you guys think the standard 170 or the extended would be more likely to be better for a resale?

I have 2017 3500 EXT 4x4. all tanks and wet bath room are stainless steel, 40 g fresh , 38 g gray and 19 g black.
2 spare tires.
Maxxair fan
Dometic 11000 BTU AC
Truma combi comfort unit
Isotherm 130 fridge
Rear door tire rack and side ladder
6' long kitchen with quartz counter top
2-Honda generators with aluminum box
2 Sienna seats with steel plates and swivel bases
microwave
340 watts with Victron Energy equipment and 200 AH lithium batteries
OEM Auxiliary battery
Permanent queen size bed, 72" x 69.5"
Maple cabinets, upper and lower.
Fiamma F65 Eagle awning
Build in air compressor
7.9 g propane tank
5 g jerry can

My loaded build out van weighed at 9700 pounds without three passengers, food and clothes. The GVWR for this vehicle is 11030 lbs.

Recently I installed the Boss air bags in the rear axle. the airbags lifted the rear a little bit. I did not measure how much the rear got lifted

Airtime

I have 2017 3500 EXT 4x4. all tanks and wet bath room are stainless steel, 40 g fresh , 38 g gray and 19 g black.
I'm very interested in what you did for stainless tanks and wet bath. Do you have a build thread anywhere? Pics, tanks locations, drawings, costs? I've just started exploring this with some local metal fabricators.

Also I assume it's a 3500XD DRW at that gross weight? How does it drive fully loaded?

I did not have any build thread. it took me roughly about 2.5 years to finish. it is tough to find time. I have a full time job.

You are welcome to email me anytime. I think I still have the plans for the tanks and wet bathroom. The black and gray water tanks are installed in the cavities of the driver side. the fresh water tank is inside the van, almost right above the rear axle. the wet bath room is set up with a Thetford macerated toilet.

I live in Southern California and had the local fabricator built my stainless steel , 3 tanks for $1700 and $2500 for the wet bathroom.

My van is 170 EXT body 3500 4x4 with high roof. Before I installed the airbags, it sways back and forth when exiting the driveways. Now it is way better. since everything is in now including sound deadening and insulation, it is quiet and cool. Actually a conversation can be carried out without yelling.

Good luck to your build.

Attachments

flyag1

Yeah, I've decided against the 4x4 extended.. Too long and likely too little capacity. Honestly, I think it is going to be a 170 RWD (not extended) or a high roof extended transit now (probably AWD). I really want a sprinter but there are things that keep pointing me towards the Transit.
Don't do the (Transit) you will regret it! You said" I really want a sprinter", so get it now! Life if short.
Get the long 170 RWD, its a tank and will impress most people when it comes to rooting! Sand, ICE, and other places that don't look doable really are. Push it into places were you're uncomfortable and see for yourself. I'm driving a 4x4 and it's costing me a lot of $$$$ over the 2x2 and I've only used the 4x4 once in 20,000 miles. This is my 3rd Sprinter the others were RWD. I wanted a 4x4 and have one..... and we are paying the price to own it.

I drive my Sprinter as a daily ride and anytime we as a family leave the house to shop or play it's always in the Sprinter. We have an Outback (2011) as well as a Tahoe (2015) both are 4x4 and we aways take the Sprinter.

Top Bottom