Here goes! My build thread to sleep a family of 9 (!!!) in a 2020 170" 4x4

45Kevin

The vinyl planks you got may expand and shrink with temperature changes; you'd need to account for that when installing. They're not as lightweight as rolled flooring.
Agree 100%. I used the glue down luxury vinyl tile (LVT) that was 4"x36" tiles in my last van. It was a glue down and the click fit stuff. I installed in the summer 70 something degrees and the next winter, minus minus cold the tile shrank about 1/8", enough to break the glue hold on some tiles. Terrible for getting sand in between the tiles.

I"ll be using a rolled product of some sort that gets glue down this time.

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
The LED strips are very easy to cut.

Connecting multiple in parallel is fine as long as your dimmer and wire can handle the load.

drodio

"Avalanche" • 2022 170" Ext Cargo 4x4
Swivel seats are in. Went with the Scopema s. Way better than the Sprinter store swivels.

the seat does scrape a bit on a pointy part of the seat. Thought about filing it down but it also looks like it helps secure the seat.

164B3DD8-D523-441D-B568-6ADB41EDF967.jpeg88E62004-734B-42C2-96F1-F71B4FF852CB.jpeg06900E29-A2B8-4A6D-BB83-D7BC247969D8.jpegF51A9C91-85BA-4EB8-BBA0-20586C1B4002.jpeg

929F0756-5A4B-4C0E-9AA7-E2CC53435D1F.jpeg

Last edited:

nickbokhoven

Ok insulation is up! I definitely appreciate the ability to stuff the wool in all the nooks and crannies, including inside all the ribs. Agree with you @45Kevin that it’s an open question as to how much the wool settles down vs stays in place once wall and roof are up. If it settles, which it probably will, I’ve got a few ideas.

re: qty: I ordered two bags (which is actually technically four bales of wool as each bag contains two) and I only used about 2 1/2 of the bales so there was plenty left over. I might even double up the thickness of the wool on the walls since I’ve got plenty left over. I inserted a picture of the amount left over for reference.

Now I am onto finishing off the interior. I’m thinking about putting plywood in. I’ve been reading around the forum and it sounds like okume plywood is the best option, but it’s hella expensive. I’m even having a hard time finding it in the bay area. It looks like it’s about 10 times the price of regular plywood — $220 for a 4x8 sheet vs $22. I’d love to know if anybody has advice on where to buy plywood in the San Francisco Bay area. it looks like Baltic Birch is another good option. I don’t think Home Depot sells that either though. Home Depot does have quarter inch plywood but I wouldn’t mind getting something a bit thinner w/ as many plys as possible. Very open to recommendations here! What materials other than plywood do people recommend? I would totally be open to something lighter, like a rigid plastic cell material.

Also, what kind of backing material are people putting on their plywood (or other wall materials)? On another thread one member mentioned “efilm” but I don’t exactly know what that is. My plan would be to put a couple coats of sealant on the plywood. Then will eventually cover it with some material, either Marathon fabric or maybe a hook and loop material to be able to Velcro light items to the walls.

I’m planning on running a bunch of flanged L track on the sides as well as the top corners of the van to use for mule bags. (speaking of which, if anybody has any mule bags they like to sell, I’d love to buy them!)

View attachment 153202View attachment 153203View attachment 153204View attachment 153205View attachment 153206
Look for 6 mm Baltic birch. It usually comes in a 5’x5’ sheet and can also be found in 4x8. The 5x5 yields better in a Sprinter from my experience.

Home Depot or Lowe’s isn’t going to stock it. Find a dedicated lumber shop or cabinet maker supply shop and you should get it no problem. Much cheaper than marine grade mahagony. Cover with 1/8” landau foam and then fabric.

drodio

Thanks @nickbokhoven -- any idea how many sheets (of either 5x5 or 4x8) I might need to finish off walls & ceiling in a 170"? I can go measure but hoping someone might happen to have an answer handy.

45Kevin

Three for the ceiling and two or three for each wall depending on how much of the walls are exposed.
The 3/8" is good for overhead cabinets and I use 1/2" for doors and drawer fronts.

drodio

Feedback on water & electrical please!

I'm thinking putting a wheel well water tank like this 20 gallon one from Titan (anyone have other wheel well water tanks they recommend?) using this water pump (same pump I used in my Khitchen setup; it was flawless). I also saw this vacuum pressure relief valve -- anyone have an opinion on this vs. other styles? I'll probably fabricate two small boxes over the two wheel wells w/ aluminum l-angle framing.

If I can get away with it weight-wise, I'd do two 20 gallon tanks; one over each wheel well. That's about 300 lbs in water fully loaded. We use a lot of water in our family! If I do that, I'd probably run an equalizer water line between the two tanks (thinking maybe under the van) which I could also use for the pump draw and draining points. LMK if anyone's done anything like that.

For Electrical: I'm thinking about running an 8AWG positive wire from the 150 junction box under the driver's seat using the A1 post. I'd put a 20 amp fuse on that (for a 20'ish foot run, 20 amps seems to be the max for 8AWG; LMK if you think I could get away w/ a 30 amp fuse). I'd run this wire to the back of the van and use it to power:

Anyone see any issues w/ this plan? LMK!

sprint2freedom

2008 NCV3 170ext
Who has experience working with LED light strips like http://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TSKLQSQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_pGvxFbM44F910

wondering if it’s possible to cut these strips down to size? Also, possible to string multiple strips together so they work off the same remote?
I bought some LED strips like that to illuminate the area under the bed, but they smelled terrible and were so fragile I didn't use them. The sticky backing didn't seem like it was going to stay stuck for very long. I'd advise spending the money on something with a hard shell.

If I can get away with it weight-wise, I'd do two 20 gallon tanks; one over each wheel well. That's about 300 lbs in water fully loaded. We use a lot of water in our family! If I do that, I'd probably run an equalizer water line between the two tanks (thinking maybe under the van) which I could also use for the pump draw and draining points. LMK if anyone's done anything like that.

Anyone see any issues w/ this plan? LMK!
The two issues I see are weight and space. Given your other ambitious goals I would strongly advise hanging the tank(s) underneath instead of putting them inside the van. That will give you a lot more options for the 9 person travel+sleep floorplan along with a lower center of gravity. 40 gallons comes to a minimum of 334 lb. Once you add the tanks, mounting brackets, hoses, pump, etc that will be closer to 375-400 lbs. It all adds up FAST.

drodio

Been doing a bunch of research on the floor. The vinyl planks I bought from Costco would probably work OK but they are heavy and multiple interlocking pieces, which won’t be ideal considering I have to put them in between smartfloor rails.

Looks like the two most durable single-roll options are Lonseal (you can get free samples here: https://ameriteakstore.com/@nickbokhoven you said you were having a really good experience with it over on this thread, is that still true?) and Marmoleum (you can order up to 15 free samples here: https://www.forbo.com/flooring/en-us/sample-ordering/pk89ha ).

I’ve ordered samples for both and will share them here when they arrive

nickbokhoven

Been doing a bunch of research on the floor. The vinyl planks I bought from Costco would probably work OK but they are heavy and multiple interlocking pieces, which won’t be ideal considering I have to put them in between smartfloor rails.

Looks like the two most durable single-roll options are Lonseal (you can get free samples here: https://ameriteakstore.com/@nickbokhoven you said you were having a really good experience with it over on this thread, is that still true?) and Marmoleum (you can order up to 15 free samples here: https://www.forbo.com/flooring/en-us/sample-ordering/pk89ha ).

I’ve ordered samples for both and will share them here when they arrive
Lonseal has been bomber. Rolling unwin lockers over it, twisting seats, dragging bikes, throwing skies and boots and chucking surfboards hasn’t left a mark.

A little tough to install as the epoxy has a 30 minute pot life but worth it in my opinion.

Last edited:

RVBarry

2023 AWD 170 DIY CamperVan
Been doing a bunch of research on the floor. The vinyl planks I bought from Costco would probably work OK but they are heavy
I was at Costco today and was quite surprised how heavy an 18sqft box of that stuff is, esp. considering it's only 6mm thick.
BTW, the interlocks will break if the floor isn't perfectly flat.
And there's still thermal expansion risks.

Did you look at Altro Transfloor?

drodio

Also got the BFG KO2s on. Chose to stick with stock specs, but on 17” arsenal rims. So 245/70/R17. Very happy with the way it turned out. And the revolutions per mile almost exactly match stock (601 vs 602) so speedo is accurate.

EA312C3B-F3A4-4EB4-8980-258EE0AE9C34.jpegE6143E81-1F0B-4A63-AD1A-F60E3A3254A0.jpeg3AFAE378-6C97-4405-A570-E98B72286200.jpeg7E046DE7-5182-4ABA-9778-B98803201469.jpeg5D38D4DC-52B9-4D93-9378-79885280216D.jpeg

drodio

The Lonseal samples arrived today. Looks great -- best of all the samples; likely we'll go with Lonseal. Thanks @nickbokhoven for posting about it originally! BTW where'd you buy yours from?

IMG_0329.jpeg IMG_0330.jpeg IMG_0331.jpeg IMG_0332.jpeg

drodio

Got power wired to the rear today, along with a fuse box and a panel w/ 3 cig outlets & USB.

IMG_0333.jpegIMG_0334.jpeg

Top Bottom