Here goes! My build thread to sleep a family of 9 (!!!) in a 2020 170" 4x4

drodio

"Avalanche" • 2022 170" Ext Cargo 4x4
Got the Aluminess modular roof rack w/ light bar installed! With two 175w solar panels keeping the Inergy Apex charged.

Kids are already loving the 2nd level.

4448613E-45D8-465C-9724-2CBA3DB84F00.jpegC98F91D6-9B10-4AAC-9BB9-CFF01923D693.jpegD507E547-00DC-468C-B5E7-84ECA7306201.jpegE2FF969C-51B7-4BC0-9889-C92B70B3475E.jpegD7A5EB11-4FC4-4A1A-9C60-0E2D0821D44B.jpeg

SION1771

He said he dropped the price when he dropped the DC cord - don't know what you paid/what the price used to be, but he suggested it was a happy medium.

@SION1771 you should point him to this thread and tell him that our recommendation to buy from him rests on the fact that he’s the only one offering the DC cable bundle! Very important for van life users like us.

SION1771

I'm just going to try to build my own DC - their price is still nearly $100 lower than anywhere else so I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth. I'm guessing it will be $15 for parts and five to ten hours of my confusion to figure out how to connect a few wires. ;-)

drodio

@SION1771 please share a wiring diagram once you have it figured out! It would be great to have that here as a resource for others that want to do the same thing.

99sport

The wrappon is an interesting solution. The cost, both recurring and nonrecurring are high, but for some it is acceptable. The thing that really concerned me and stopped me for any further consideration is guaranteeing a supply of consumables into the future.

As I understand it, they use proprietary bags and the unit will not function without those. They also only have one US distributor. What are your thoughts on if that US distributor goes out of business, retires, looses their license to sell Wrappon products, etc? Did you buy a lifetime supply of consumables to insure you do not end up with a $1000 box that you cannot use?

SION1771

That's a great point. The coagulant is easy to replace but the bags not so much. After using it a few times I'll probably stock up on supplies so that I have a few year's worth.

drodio

Found 'em! 500lb 60" slides. American made, too w/ great (and real!) reviews. Just ordered a set and I'm going to swap mine out. Thanks!

I'll post pics here w/ 411 on the difference between the two sets.

drodio

I'm getting pretty stoked about this!!! Can't wait to test the Flex vs. Apex. Working to find out when the units will actually ship.
=================

Dear Flex Pre-sale Customer,

Manufacturing is underway and we're hustling to get the Flex into your hands as soon as possible.
The battery pack assembly is moving forward.
Flex module housings are powder coated and ready to go.

We've been testing our sample units here in Pocatello. For all you gold kit purchasers, check out this video of the Flex Battery charging with 400 Watts of Ascent Panels.
On this particular day and in these conditions we got from 0% to 90% in about 2 hours and 40 minutes. Not too shabby.

We will keep you informed as we near the time to collect your remaining balance and ship your product.
If you have any questions, please call us at 877-891-2657 or email us at support@inergysolar.com. We’re here and we're happy to help.
Thank you!

The Inergy Team

drodio

I had a few people over in the Facebook Sprinter Van Owners group asking about the roof rack, so here's more 411 on it:

It's this Aluminess Modular Roof Rack with the light bar option upfront.

PROs:
- I liked the fact that the panels are solid aluminum. Makes for a great platform up top for the kids
- It might help lower the temp inside the truck in the desert, since the sun will be hitting the solid roof rack, and then there's an air pocket between the rack & the roof. Haven't yet tested that yet, though.
- Shipped quickly; think it took under 2 weeks to arrive
- It's also pretty low profile

CONs:
- It took way longer to install than I expected. I thought it might be a 2 hour job. It was more like an 8 hour job (pro-tip: Don't try to do it alone!)
- Since it's a set of modular components that bolt together, I'm assuming it won't be as strong as a one-piece rack. But I really don't know.

Hope that helps! A couple pics here but there are more in the posts above (including the light bar at night)

BTW: Aluminess said the light bar slot was for a 50" bar, which I bought. But then when I tried it out, I realized a 52" bar fits best. I'm now trying ot figure out how to get the light bar to go on & off w/ the high beams on the Sprinter's CANBUS system... that post is over here, if anyone has any pro-tips! https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/96529/

Attachments

w15p

2019 144 HR 4x4
I had a few people over in the Facebook Sprinter Van Owners group asking about the roof rack, so here's more 411 on it:

It's this Aluminess Modular Roof Rack with the light bar option upfront.

PROs:
- I liked the fact that the panels are solid aluminum. Makes for a great platform up top for the kids
- It might help lower the temp inside the truck in the desert, since the sun will be hitting the solid roof rack, and then there's an air pocket between the rack & the roof. Haven't yet tested that yet, though.
- Shipped quickly; think it took under 2 weeks to arrive
- It's also pretty low profile

CONs:
- It took way longer to install than I expected. I thought it might be a 2 hour job. It was more like an 8 hour job (pro-tip: Don't try to do it alone!)
- Since it's a set of modular components that bolt together, I'm assuming it won't be as strong as a one-piece rack. But I really don't know.

Hope that helps! A couple pics here but there are more in the posts above (including the light bar at night)

BTW: Aluminess said the light bar slot was for a 50" bar, which I bought. But then when I tried it out, I realized a 52" bar fits best. I'm now trying ot figure out how to get the light bar to go on & off w/ the high beams on the Sprinter's CANBUS system... that post is over here, if anyone has any pro-tips! https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/96529/
Interesting - it looks an awful lot like the flatline low profile rack, though they don't offer that lightbar option (which is pretty cool) nor do they offer the aluminum panels, but I think those would be a pretty easy addition on top of the 80/20 crossbars.

incremental innovation? not sure which came first...

Top Bottom