Does spending the $ for the Xentry style diagnostic tool make sense for the DIY'er?

Sparkee

Hi, I'm a newby to the owning a Sprinter group, and already having issues which led me to this forum. So my question is , Does it make sense to spend money on the Xentry type , vehicle specific diag. kit ? Meaning is it something that can be useful if I spend time learning how to use or is it more than that and requires training? Hope this makes sense. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I am die-hard DIY mechanic and am doing without it.
For years, I drove digital W210 having no scanner at all as affordable scanners did not exist. Than I bought $130 generic OBD scanner, who would show some errors on W163 when I needed it.
Now you have good $49 scanner at Walmart, who will show MB codes and live data, so you can do 90% what you might need with it.
Xentry clones are very user unfriendly and observing how my friend struggle with his keeps me from buying one.
Than newer vehicles require SCN coding, where clone will not help and you will be at mercy of stealer anyway.
Lastly some owners spend $600 on scanner package and when it failed, the seller no longer existed.

220817a

Independent & Self Reliant - From Chattanooga TN
For years, I drove digital W210 having no scanner at all as affordable scanners did not exist. Than I bought $130 generic OBD scanner, who would show some errors on W163 when I needed it.
Now you have good $49 scanner at Walmart, who will show MB codes and live data, so you can do 90% what you might need with it.
Xentry clones are very user unfriendly and observing how my friend struggle with his keeps me from buying one.
Than newer vehicles require SCN coding, where clone will not help and you will be at mercy of stealer anyway.
Lastly some owners spend $600 on scanner package and when it failed, the seller no longer existed.
So how is my cloned C5 helping me to SCN code?... I don't think you understand much about Xentry and what's actually cloned. The multiplexer is cloned, but Xentry software is genuine. If you don't want to use a clone, use a genuine passthru device such as Scanmatik 2 Pro or Openport 2.0 with Xentry Passthru.

Attachments

Since DIY was mentioned...

I have a DAD with better capabilities than some scan tools, but not as good as an Xentry type scan tool. The DAD has injector run tests, a coarse compression test, and a few other test routines. I've owned T1N's since 2008. Except for playing with the features, I've yet to need the extended capabilities of the DAD. An iCarsoft MBII or Autel MD808 Pro would have everything that I need.

The Autel AP200 or Walmart equivalent is a great tool. The downside is that you need internet access for it to work. The Autel MD808 Pro is stand alone and will do everything most DIY types will need. It would be nice to have both Autel units, but I recommend starting with the MD808 Pro. The AP200 would make a nice thing for your Christmas list.

:2cents: vic

220817a

Hi, I'm a newby to the owning a Sprinter group, and already having issues which led me to this forum. So my question is , Does it make sense to spend money on the Xentry type , vehicle specific diag. kit ? Meaning is it something that can be useful if I spend time learning how to use or is it more than that and requires training? Hope this makes sense. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
What years and models are your Sprinters?

Sparkee

Got it, I was considering purchasing the AUTEL MK808BT, as the issue I have is with the DEF system, which I now see is a common thread across them all it seems. I really don't want a "break out another $1000" vehicle. Thanks for the info

Sparkee

Since DIY was mentioned...

I have a DAD with better capabilities than some scan tools, but not as good as an Xentry type scan tool. The DAD has injector run tests, a coarse compression test, and a few other test routines. I've owned T1N's since 2008. Except for playing with the features, I've yet to need the extended capabilities of the DAD. An iCarsoft MBII or Autel MD808 Pro would have everything that I need.

The Autel AP200 or Walmart equivalent is a great tool. The downside is that you need internet access for it to work. The Autel MD808 Pro is stand alone and will do everything most DIY types will need. It would be nice to have both Autel units, but I recommend starting with the MD808 Pro. The AP200 would make a nice thing for your Christmas list.

:2cents: vic
So it looks like the MK808BT I was considering might be the better choice. Thanks for the info, greatly appreciated.

Sparkee

Thank you for info.

220817a

2014 FREIGHTLINER 2500 3.0L
If the DEF system is what you have a problem with, Xentry OpenShell with a cloned C5/C6 or Xentry PassThru with Scanmatic 2 Pro will be the cheapest ($500) option to go with. None of the above mentioned scanners will help you with DEF system, none of them are capable of doing SCN coding.

The cheapest Autell that is capable of doing SCN coding is the one from the link below and it requires a subscription on top the cost of the tablet itself with the j2534 passthru module.

https://www.jbtools.com/autel-maxis...MI7tSopbvS6wIV8IFaBR0lBQHhEAQYASABEgJJQvD_BwE

Xentry does have the capability to SCN code and it does require a subscription also, but the difference is that there are plenty of places where you can buy a "one time SCN coding" access for $25. AliExpress is a good source for buying that.

Also... If you buy a laptop or hard drive with Xentry that will have Vediamo software on it, you can get a seed key calculator for Vediamo and with that you can unlock the ECU for clearing or resetting the "0 start" or "start not possible" without SCN coding, and you can do it as many times as you need to... Let's say you have a bad NOx sensor that triggers the start count down and limp mode, and you can't really fix that right away, with vediamo you can clear and reset the start countdown as many times as you want, and continue driving that van until you have time and money to fix it. So the flexibility that you will have no other scanner will give you...

Sparkee

If the DEF system is what you have a problem with, Xentry OpenShell with a cloned C5/C6 or Xentry PassThru with Scanmatic 2 Pro will be the cheapest ($500) option to go with. None of the above mentioned scanners will help you with DEF system, none of them are capable of doing SCN coding.

The cheapest Autell that is capable of doing SCN coding is the one from the link below and it requires a subscription on top the cost of the tablet itself with the j2534 passthru module.

https://www.jbtools.com/autel-maxis...MI7tSopbvS6wIV8IFaBR0lBQHhEAQYASABEgJJQvD_BwE

Xentry does have the capability to SCN code and it does require a subscription also, but the difference is that there are plenty of places where you can buy a "one time SCN coding" access for $25. AliExpress is a good source for buying that.

Also... If you buy a laptop or hard drive with Xentry that will have Vediamo software on it, you can get a seed key calculator for Vediamo and with that you can unlock the ECU for clearing or resetting the "0 start" or "start not possible" without SCN coding, and you can do it as many times as you need to... Let's say you have a bad NOx sensor that triggers the start count down and limp mode, and you can't really fix that right away, with vediamo you can clear and reset the start countdown as many times as you want, and continue driving that van until you have time and money to fix it. So the flexibility that you will have no other scanner will give you...
Thanks alot for this info, as I'm currently in the 0 starts left mode. The mechanic I hired was no help, at a cost of $600+. Anyway, thanks

freddy

I found this thread when looking for scanners that can clear the restart countdown due to DEF faults in a 2015 Sprinter. I got a CEL and DTC regarding excessive DEF consumption, DEL fluid low, etc on a camping trip 3 weeks ago. I believe these problems were because I had to leave Sprinter in MX in hot weather for 6+ months this past spring due to health issues. The van was driven from Baja to N CA this past June with no problems.

I’ve removed the old DEF, added fresh DEF, throughly cleaned NOx sensors, DEF dosing valve, EGR valve and EGR cooler. I cleared the DTC with my Autel MaxSys 908 scanner and have done adaptation runs per advice from Bobnoxious (Thanks Bob!) and no CEL or return of DTC. But I still have the msg for 5 restarts remaining. So I assume that I need to clear the countdown but my Autel scanner doesn’t have the capability. I talked with Autel about the MaxSys Elite Dima74 linked above but learned while it works for MB cars, it can’t clear the Sprinter countdown. My MB dealer wants $410 to connect scanner for diagnosis and perhaps more to clear countdown. I want to buy equipment that enables me to clear the restart countdown for this time as well as any future incidents since we use this Sprinter conversion to camp in remote areas. So is the most affordable option downloading Xentry to my laptop (with Win10 Pro)? Do I need the Star C5 multiplexer as well? I appreciate any guidance and response.

So, in a recent YT video I saw someone say that any ODBII code reading tool is fine. He says just pull the code(s) and google them to find out what they mean. Is he right, or is he sadly confused?

My goal: I'd love to be able to read the codes behind my check engine light or other random indicator if / when they come up so I have some idea what's going on before I take it in for service, and I don't want to spend a ton of money doing that. Given the car spits out codes when it's not happy, it shouldn't cost me thousands just to read them and know what they mean.:unsure:

FWIW I'm not a mechanic, don't really plan on doing my own work unless it's as easy as replacing a cabin filter, checking my DEF, or maybe replacing a fuse, but when everything for Sprinter repairs tends to run in BOAT units, I hate going in and bowing before the mysteries with no idea what the van thinks is going wrong or what may be needed to resolve the situation. Thanks!

rv-sprinter

07 Winn View 23J - 06 T1N (NAFTA)
So, in a recent YT video I saw someone say that any ODBII code reading tool is fine. He says just pull the code(s) and google them to find out what they mean. Is he right, or is he sadly confused?
A basic OBDII code reader (like Scan Gauge II) can't read MB specific codes. You need something like an Autel AP200, Autel MD808 Pro, iCarSoft MB II, etc., etc.

A basic OBDII code reader (like Scan Gauge II) can't read MB specific codes. You need something like an Autel AP200, Autel MD808 Pro, iCarSoft MB II, etc., etc.
Thanks. So does that mean a basic ODBII code reader wouldn't even see those codes, or does that mean a basic ODBII reader wouldn't be able to interpret them for me? If I can see the code and google it, whatever meaningless drivel the code appears to be when I look at it, that is fine for my level of interest. If the tool can't even see the codes, then it would be useless. Thanks again.

Correct, won't see MB codes.
Yep. A generic scan tool will see emissions systems related DTC's. For the non emissions DTC's that it can see a generic scan tool may spit out the closest definition it has. That can send you down a rabbit hole.

To really be worthwhile the scan tool needs to be able to specifically access modules like the TCM, SRS, SLA, CTM, etc.

vic

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Thanks. So does that mean a basic ODBII code reader wouldn't even see those codes, or does that mean a basic ODBII reader wouldn't be able to interpret them for me? If I can see the code and google it, whatever meaningless drivel the code appears to be when I look at it, that is fine for my level of interest. If the tool can't even see the codes, then it would be useless. Thanks again.
A "generic" scanner can only read codes that the ECM knows/sends.
If you use the scanner to "reset" the codes, it only affects the ECM. If (let's say) it was really the TCM complaining about something (let's say wheel speed mismatch), it will still be lodged in the TCM, who (next start-up) will dutifully tell the ECM about it ... again.

The NCV3 confuses generic scanners more than the older T1N did. (lots of posts along those lines in the first couple of years after NCV3 introduction). Even the vaunted ScanGauge (which only reports the numbers, it doesn't even *try* to interpret them) gets confused with an NCV3 (beyond the basic emission-specific codes).

As a stand-alone scanner, the Autel 808 Pro "all systems" seems to be the best for an NCV3. (aside from the C4 clones of MB software)
The AP200 requires a smartphone and internet connection to function, but at $70 or less is dirt cheap.

--dick ("only" has a T1N, plus ScanGauge, DAD and AP200)

Top Bottom