Engine rattle

jenan

Hi all, my first post for ages, but always so much to learn on this forum.
We have a 2000 model 312D sprinter, 2.7L automatic. Originally a bus ( Extra LWB, high roof), now converted to a motorhome. Engine has done about 170 000 km and has a rattle which hubby can’t work out. He’s the “mechanic”, I’m the writer! Any ideas on what it could be? I know that’s a pretty open ended question - he suspects the timing chain, but admits it could be anything.
Jenan

lindenengineering

Jenan Hi & greetings from a transplanted Pom in the USA.
I used to have my missus doing the writing, now I have group of young ladies in the front & back offices doing the clean hands bit, while the rest of us blokes do the dirty hands stuff.
I was doing something like this today with a 2,7 OM 647.
I used scan tool to knock out each cylinder in turn as it was running.
Located the rattle !
It was determined to be number 2 piston in my case.
Have him do the same to rule out pistons.
Cheers & out of curiosity where are you folks located Down Under .
Dennis

Eric Experience

Jenan.
Keep it simple, Just take of the fan belt and then run it to see if the rattle is still there, if its not then start to look the accessories. Eric.

jaahn

I used to have my missus doing the writing, now I have group of young ladies in the front & back offices doing the clean hands bit, while the rest of us blokes do the dirty hands stuff.
Located the rattle !
Dennis
Hmm I would be very surprised if he could use a scan tool, even a factory tool to knock out each cylinder on a 312D. They are not under individual control. It has a mechanical injector pump as far as I know.
I think I might take off the belt for a start as suggested. Then if not found get a length of plastic tube to put in one ear( the good one!) and probe around to find the source of the rattle.
I guess a better description of the type of the rattle, the circumstances of when it happens and if hot or cold or what ever, would reduce the random guessing.
But talking of random guessing my air conditioner support bracket rod across the front of the engine broke and "rattled" when it was loose. It is/was a non standard after market fitting. I have a 312D bus also and I believe it has a 2.9L not a 2.7L 5 cyl if it is a 312D.
Jaahn

lindenengineering

Hmm I would be very surprised if he could use a scan tool, even a factory tool to knock out each cylinder on a 312D. They are not under individual control. It has a mechanical injector pump as far as I know.
I think I might take off the belt for a start as suggested. Then if not found get a length of plastic tube to put in one ear( the good one!) and probe around to find the source of the rattle.
I guess a better description of the type of the rattle, the circumstances of when it happens and if hot or cold or what ever, would reduce the random guessing.
But talking of random guessing my air conditioner support bracket rod across the front of the engine broke and "rattled" when it was loose. It is/was a non standard after market fitting. I have a 312D bus also and I believe it has a 2.9L not a 2.7L 5 cyl if it is a 312D.
Jaahn
Well if a mechanical pump, just crack off each injector line in turn on successive cylinders and listen for a loss in the rattle.
That was how we used to do this back before electronics came to the fore.
Dennis

jenan

Located the rattle !
Dennis
Hi Dennis, thanks for your reply, but we don’t have a scan tool. Will have to work on plan B! Will try the cracking off the injector line in turn as you suggest. We’re in Qld - we live in the SE corner area, but are currently further north, about halfway up the coast. Cheers!

Last edited:

jenan

Jaahn
Hi Jaahn, you are quite right - it is 2.9L, not 2.7. I thought that looked wrong when I wrote it, but the proof reader missed it!
The rattle is there when it’s cold and seems to disappear a bit when it warms up, but increases when the foot goes down on the throttle. Maybe a diesel knock? ( I’m quoting here - I personally have no idea what a diesel knock is). Separate post coming with a bit of video on it.

jenan

Thanks to everyone for their replies.
We decided that if we were going to take off the fan belt we might as well replace it with a new one ( now that’s a job that’s easier said than done)!
so that’s now been accomplished - the noise is still there. I’d like to attach a bit of video for anyone interested but can’t figure out how to do it. Aarrgh!

Top Bottom