Remote Start Installed

Durango

New to forum - have had '19 2500 No-Window Cargo 4X4 since December. Got a Sportsmobile Basic (they had a different name) interior, and just added the Mid City Engr. Remote Start. I live where this weekend we're supposed to hit highs of 108 degF, so being able to stand inside the house and start my vehicles remotely to run the AC for awhile before I go get in the hotbox, is priceless. MY FCA (former name) vehicles all have it, and I use it!
Got Mid City's device after confirming the key Fob window operation would still function, along with the Fob sleep (no transmit) function, and installed it as a true plug-and-play device. Ran into a little trouble with one connector not seating fully (my fault - I don't work well with gallons of sweat running down my face and dripping onto the floor, nor when contorting my rather large hands (not bragging) into tight spaces - ultimately the fine folks there responded to my texts for help on a Sunday (yep!), and we got in going). Has some other functions you can "program" like seat-on temp, run time after remote start, and so on, but of more value to me is it also engages factory alarm function so opening doors when armed via Fob sets off horn and lights. And, the alarm function can "turned off" via the programming mode, when camping where maybe you don't want it on.
Is this an advertisement? Naw - I don't work there nor live close enough to see what they look like (they're in Chicago, I in CA Central Valley), but I am just jazzed about getting remote start in a vehicle that the mfr doesn't offer it in, and thought others might want to know one owner's opinion. Get one - just be sure you seat all connectors.

Last edited:

chipsterguy

How difficult was the install? Do you have to remove the drivers seat? Or just poke around under the dash?

Durango

Easy install. Just need one Torx driver size, and a snap pry tool (trim tool). Everything is behind the kick panel that the hood latch protrudes from - removing that panel & the small bolster above it can be done in probably 20 minutes. Then the connectors to the DIS and PCM are unplugged and plugged into the remote start device harnesses, and then you remove the battery from one key xtra Fob and install it in a box with a hardwired power source coming from one of the devices two modules - a "bridge" pushes on the unlock button on the Fob so that when it gets power momentarily the van thinks there's a Fob inside so it allows the engine to start. Those two modules and the Fob "box" are then placed behind the kick panel as there's plenty of room in there for them. To remote start you push lock, then unlock, then lock, and it starts. And then like at least my FCA vehicles, once inside you press brake pedal while pushing in start button - engine shuts off (the remote run) momentarily and then comes back on in the run/drive mode.
After just joining the Forum, I see there's some concern over condensation/water coming down the "A pillar" and dripping onto the connector of the DIS - altho I've not heard of it, it might be possible dependent on where behind the kick panel you mount the remote start modules that water could enter them - so one would want to pay attention to that.
The mfr, Mid City, has an excellent install instr. PDF with links to short videos for every step - and they really are helpful folks. The only caveat - it is not an inexpensive device. But how you view that will depend on how important remote starting that engine is to you. I wanted it for the hot days - but it has great value in the cold too, I'm sure. I believe you can program a start time too, in case leaving the engine off all nite is too much - there's plusses and minuses to that...
They also offer a high-idle option - you can have it idle your engine high to charge batteries and such. And, they offer shock and tilt modules for the alarm if you want more protection there. I didn't opt for it, but you can also get the option of starting via a phone connection - but that would require a phone connection monthly fee...I will never start mine from anywhere I can't see the van, so didn't need that. Check their website out...

Seacoaster

I see you are doing this for warm weather reasons, I wonder if there is any issue using this for us in the harsh a Northern parts of the country?

Last edited:

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Been thinking about it as well, but $500 basic price +$130 for android app is so far too high for me. Additionally customer can't change running time.
Lastly the site indicate that NCV3 might need ignition removal for installation.
Can we organize group buy?

Durango

Been thinking about it as well, but $500 basic price +$130 for android app is so far too high for me. Additionally customer can't change running time.
Lastly the site indicate that NCV3 might need ignition removal for installation.
Can we organize group buy?
Not sure about the unit for earlier Sprinters like yours, but with the unit for my 2019, I can change the running time to a wide variety of choices. As for ignition removal - again, not necessary for the 2019/2020 vans - not sure about the earlier model.
They do have occasional "sales" on Facebook offering a discount...

Seacoaster

New to forum - have had '19 2500 No-Window Cargo 4X4 since December. Got a Sportsmobile Basic (they had a different name) interior, and just added the Mid City Engr. Remote Start. I live where this weekend we're supposed to hit highs of 108 degF, so being able to stand inside the house and start my vehicles remotely to run the AC for awhile before I go get in the hotbox, is priceless. MY FCA (former name) vehicles all have it, and I use it!
Got Mid City's device after confirming the key Fob window operation would still function, along with the Fob sleep (no transmit) function, and installed it as a true plug-and-play device. Ran into a little trouble with one connector not seating fully (my fault - I don't work well with gallons of sweat running down my face and dripping onto the floor, nor when contorting my rather large hands (not bragging) into tight spaces - ultimately the fine folks there responded to my texts for help on a Sunday (yep!), and we got in going). Has some other functions you can "program" like seat-on temp, run time after remote start, and so on, but of more value to me is it also engages factory alarm function so opening doors when armed via Fob sets off horn and lights. And, the alarm function can "turned off" via the programming mode, when camping where maybe you don't want it on.
Is this an advertisement? Naw - I don't work there nor live close enough to see what they look like (they're in Chicago, I in CA Central Valley), but I am just jazzed about getting remote start in a vehicle that the mfr doesn't offer it in, and thought others might want to know one owner's opinion. Get one - just be sure you seat all connectors.
Was this literally as easy as it looks? Upfitter wanted $450 to install it, said it was a 1/2 days work? The instructions seems quite clear.

Durango

Was this literally as easy as it looks? Upfitter wanted $450 to install it, said it was a 1/2 days work? The instructions seems quite clear.
It can be as easy to do as the instructions indicate. My difficulty was with it being a HOT day - the not fully seated connector may have been due to being uncomfortably sweaty and therefore a little sloppy!
I don't like questioning hourly rates of any business - if I think they're too high I go elsewhere...and I'd suggest you think about doing that also. Definitely not a 1/2 day's work...

John E

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I just bought a used 2016 Sprinter from a dealer. They've serviced it since new, local customer. It has an aftermarket auto start, and they told me it won't pass emissions if the auto start is used. It resets something every time. The found it "by accident" when servicing one of this fleet's Sprinters. Told me to drive it 300 miles or so and bring it back in and it should pass. They have 3-4 techs servicing just sprinters daily. (Problem is my employee started it twice by accident and isn't sure how he did so.)

Durango

John E - Yes, some cheaper aftermarket remote starts (like those that are part of an alarm system, i.e., Viper) do cause problems. This one - and one reason it's not cheap - will not cause issues...they worked with MB and have done a LOT of programming to ensure it won't. I spoke with MB (national rep) before buying the device, and that person checked with someone else at MB before saying it should not cause a problem.

chipsterguy

I purchased the version with the alarm, auto start, and high idle all combined. Plus I added the "Drone" mobile communication module. I am extremely happy with this system. The Drone Mobile communication module allows you to remote start, lock doors, monitor temp, batter voltage, etc. directly from your mobile phone. In addition to the $100 cost of the module from MidCity, it requires a $60/year subscription. Very happy with it.

It is very easy. If it is your first time removing the panels to access the EIS module, that may take a little longer than someone with more experience. And depending on your level of OCD, how neatly you package everything after wiring it in may burn a little time. But really, it is a very simple install. highly recommended as a DIY and good luck!

Seacoaster

I purchased the version with the alarm, auto start, and high idle all combined. Plus I added the "Drone" mobile communication module. I am extremely happy with this system. The Drone Mobile communication module allows you to remote start, lock doors, monitor temp, batter voltage, etc. directly from your mobile phone. In addition to the $100 cost of the module from MidCity, it requires a $60/year subscription. Very happy with it.

It is very easy. If it is your first time removing the panels to access the EIS module, that may take a little longer than someone with more experience. And depending on your level of OCD, how neatly you package everything after wiring it in may burn a little time. But really, it is a very simple install. highly recommended as a DIY and good luck!
Excellent, I’m confident in my ability to do it, seems an hour+ is all it will take, and yes on the OCD, lol.

sailquik

Glad to hear that all of you are installing pseudo emissions defeat devices (call them what
you will (remote start, etc)) but they all go counter to the Mercedes Benz emissions protocols carefully crafted to AVOID warm ups and idling for any appreciable amount of time prior to
driving off.
Your Sprinter has been designed so that you get in, warm up the glow plugs (when the
engine is cold soaked), engage the starter, have the engine start, then drive off.
No idling, no warm ups, no running the AC until the interior gets to your comfort zone.
This is why your Sprinter has a "fast idle" as soon as it starts.
This is why your transmission does not upshift normally until your engine coolant temp gets
to > 120 deg. F.
It's all about AVOIDING idling your engine when it's cold or well below normal
operating temperature (180-193 deg. F).
This protocol is a required part of the US EPA emissions standards.
MB Engineering had to make quite a few compromises to meet this requirement.
You add a remote start device, and all of that goes out the window as your Sprinter
sits idling after a cold soaked start up (whether to run the heater to warm the interior
or the AC to cool the interior) either way your Sprinter is going to spend some time
warming up from a cold start (even in 108 deg. F).
It was not designed to do that!
Very interesting!
Roger

Durango

Let's be clear - using the remote start I installed in NO WAY changes any operation of the engine when it's running, such that any emissions are created that otherwise would not exist. The change is that the engine may run at idle longer if it is remote started - but even that is an assumption that may not be correct. I would be willing to bet that there are those who get in their van, start it, and sit there while the air conditioning cools it down or the heater warms it up, before driving off. In particular, those who live in very cold climates often start them up and sit idling while the defroster clears the windshield so they can see out. So starting it remotely and idling for a bit for the same reasons is no different.
As for why NB did not include remote start on this vehicle, while they have on others...has more to do with fleet data, not individual vehicle operation. MB did not want the Sprinter line back when FCA bought the controlling interest in CJDR, but did so because they essentially had no choice - it was a money-losing division, but one they could use to sacrifice luxury options in to help fleet data.
What about other mfr's having a legitimate way to eliminate the start/stop function? Offering Remote Start as an option? I do not believe the EPA sees these as "emission defeat devices"...
We could debate all the other uses of MB vans that increase idle time (have you ever seen Amazon Sprinters idling while the delivery person drops the package off at the doorstep of their delivery address? Or how adding any aftermarket accessory that changes the airflow over the vehicle also changes fuel consumption and increases emissions using your logic that increased idle time does that? Or how using a chassis mount for an RV changes it in the same way even if that use is sanctioned by MB?), but I doubt from your condescending tone that you are likely to see it any other way...

_Zach

•͡˘㇁•͡˘
@Durango don’t feed the trolls.

Remote start is not an emissions defeat device.

We can argue whether idling the 907 Sprinters is a good idea because of the emissions systems, specifically the DPF, but remote starting is literally the same as walking out to the van, starting it and turning on the heat, and walking back inside while it warms up.

Top Bottom