Closing the slider door from the inside ,,, quietly

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
Is entering through the rear door an option?
If you have AC going you won’t want to leave the side door cracked, if you don’t have AC, why not just leave the side door open at night with a bug screen in place?
I’m not an advocate of vaping concentrates (because they’re less effective, not containing as much of the parts of the plant that are actually therapeutic), but that combined with blowing your exhaust right up and out of an exhaust fan might make her less unhappy.
maybe roll a front window down, be sure to smoke down wind, and climb back in through the window?

ok, I just had a possible good solution come to mind. Attach a utility handle towards the back side of the top of the sliding door’s lower portion (sort of in the window area). This would allow you to pull the latch tight without having to slam the door, but won’t quiet the sound of the

nctrailseeker

Of course I have a sense of humor I'm a conservative. Appreciate all your concerns for my health,,,, but I quit smoking cigarettes over 30 years ago myself. I'm talking about weed. I can't sleep without it. Well I sleep but it's not pretty.
Thanks for all your suggestions.
Then you need to convence her to smoke a little, she'll relax and go back to sleep with a smile. LOL :smirk:

manwithgun

Unknown member
Attach a strap or handle to the rear inside of the door. Slide it slowly to the front to the point it will almost latch. When you get as far as you can go slowly pull the rear handle slightly forward and and in. It is possible to do it this way to where you only hear the door slowly rolling and a click of the latch at the end. You can test this from the outside by just pushing the rear of the door when it is almost closed instead of slamming it shut. Another possibility is a one hit pipe and a open window.
I agree with both of these solutions. The physics behind closing the slider door is that momentum is required to get the rear of the door swing inward on the track to latch and seal at the very end of the stroke. By mounting a grab handle near the rear (possibly in the sill so it can clear the van side), you can yank inwards and forward to get the job done.

The slider also latches easier if a window is cracked open to vent positive pressure when the door pulls in... the difference is slight but noticeable.

Grouser

Live free,,, or die fighting for it,,,, no2 woke
Now we're coming up with some solutions! I'll try the strap thing although if you remember the bathroom covers the rear portion of the door so it's hard to reach on my build. I do edibles I actually make some cannabutter. But nothing like a good fresh hit right before bed The taste is awesome.no way to get out the back, that's where she's sleeping. I might try going out a passenger door up front, but you still have to slam that to get it closed all the way. I wish I could just come up with a tube or something to exhale outside and make her happy but I don't think it will work.on a lighter note if this is the biggest problem I have in my life I'm doing okay right?

sanomechanic

Now we're coming up with some solutions! I'll try the strap thing although if you remember the bathroom covers the rear portion of the door so it's hard to reach on my build. I do edibles I actually make some cannabutter. But nothing like a good fresh hit right before bed The taste is awesome.no way to get out the back, that's where she's sleeping. I might try going out a passenger door up front, but you still have to slam that to get it closed all the way. I wish I could just come up with a tube or something to exhale outside and make her happy but I don't think it will work.on a lighter note if this is the biggest problem I have in my life I'm doing okay right?
Sharing is caring.

thinice

2005 tall 140WB 160K
I don't smoke in my van so I step outside at night. Coming back in my wife is asleep and I'd like to not wake her up but I don't know how to close that sliding door without slamming it from the inside. Tired of having things thrown at me,,,, can you help?
IExhail into a pillow. She won't notice, you will, she will be in a better mood.

Grouser

The problem with the handle in that position is on my build the bathroom makes that area of the door inaccessible,,,

Grouser

Guess now that I think about it, maybe running somekind of strap back to the back where handle would be that I could reach, then pull with that. thanks for the idea!

tbuyan

'04 3500 140" low roof cargo w/dually delete
Sliding doors are a curse on mankind. Almost worth getting a pig snout Transit just for the available hinged doors. Almost.

pfflyer

I think most of the issues with sliding doors is people think they need to slam them to get them to latch. Over time it is rough on the door.

tbuyan

'04 3500 140" low roof cargo w/dually delete
The first generation Chevy/GMC sliders ('71-'75 or so?) had a feature that made the damn things almost bearable. By rotating the handle in the direction opposite from opening, the rear of the door was pulled in gently and latched with a satisfying click. No inertia required. Haven't seen that feature on any other van. But the biggest objection to a sliding door is that nothing can be attached to the interior surface. On a hinged door a camp stove, fold out table, etc. can be attached or even recessed into the door itself. Then it's available - door open or closed. As we all know, every cubic inch of volume is precious in a camper van. Those hateful sliding doors are a terrible waste. Check out Sportsmobile's website for creative uses for the side doors. And, yes, I realize the sliders can be opened when a hinged door might not, like when some hipster parks his Mitsu too close in the Panera parking lot.

Rant over. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
This soft closing would be a great option for our Sprinters to have.
Modern Sprinters do have it.

For the "hidden by cabinet" issue, i'm wondering if an over-center cam arrangement could be mounted behind the cabinet to catch and pull home a shallow handle? (over-center cam: similar to some screen door closers)

1599171699116.png

--dick

Last edited:

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Do new Sprinters have fully electric or closing assist sliding door option.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Do new Sprinters have fully electric or closing assist sliding door option.
Both versions/options are available: there's "soft close" (which just handles the last few inches)
T50 -- Electric Closing Assist Right Sliding Door (Soft Close)

and there's fully electric closing: T55 Electrical Sliding Door Right

The "soft close" does its magic by moving the body-side striker *out* to catch the door, then pulls it home.
(if i'm reading the option guide correctly)
--dick

Top Bottom