Dogs - Aggressive/Attacks

My basic thoughts on dogs is that the training and environment plays a big part for how the dog turns out. I realize that there are breeds of dogs which have more aggressive traits vs other breeds. When other dogs approach my dog I basically let them do what they do. Most often it's just sniffing and posturing. I have learned not to pull my dog away during the confrontation. When the other dog sees retreat they seem to take that as weakness and will attack. My dog is no different. If an owner comes out to get their dog, as soon as they pull their dog away my dog at times goes after the retreating dog. I keep his leash taut in anticipation of that response.

Yesterday a male pit bull came racing up from behind us to confront my dog. There was the typical posturing and sniffing as expected. I didn't yell, but said firmly to the pit bull "Go away. Get out of here." He immediately turned toward me, bared his teeth and came in for the attack. Fortunately my dog did what he should do and took him down. The pit bull beat feet. During all of the resulting commotion the owner never came out to check. Maybe they didn't hear. Maybe they didn't care. :idunno:

In all of my decades of dealing with dog confrontations this was the most aggressive dog I've come across. We did have another aggressive pit bull confrontation years ago, but that dog was interested in fighting with mine. The owner came out, but couldn't control the dog. While my dog was keeping the pit bull busy I grabbed it by the scruff of the neck (no collar) and raised its front paws off the ground. At that time he relaxed and my dog listened to my "hold" word and pulled away. "Hold" for my dogs = Stop. The owner then took the dog away. Other pit bull contacts/confrontations during our walks have been fairly benign.

Had my dog not stopped the attack yesterday I may have been bitten. I may start carrying pepper spray again during my dog walking.

vic

glasseye

Had my dog not stopped the attack yesterday I may have been bitten. I may start carrying pepper spray again during my dog walking.
Having to carry pepper spray on a walk to defend oneself against other people's animals is indefensible.

This is a sore point with me. Literally. I have been bitten a couple of times by aggressive dogs and I must say those events didn't endear me to either the dogs or their owners. They love to chase bicycles, dangerous for both cyclist and dog. Both times I was bitten, I was riding.

*disclaimer* I've never owned a dog.

My best friend has been wheelchair-bound for forty years and has had a series of service dogs. All of them have been absolutely amazing animals. They'll even obey me. While on a walk with me once, Chip started chasing some deer. I called him back and he returned to me immediately. THAT is a well-trained animal. I watched Chip pick up a credit card from a concrete floor. I'm not sure I could have done it better.

My basic thoughts on dogs is that the training and environment plays a big part for how the dog turns out.
Brad maintains that dog behaviour is 100% dependent on the owner. Bad behavior on the part of dogs is a result of owner negligence. His training as a service dog owner is just as intense and nearly as lengthy as that received by the dog. Brad is, in fact, certified, just like his dogs.

Chip accompanies Brad to Costco, and when they pick up a BBQ chicken, Chip has to carry it back to the truck. THAT is a well-trained animal.

Nigel loves to sleep in my chair. When I approach the chair with my lunch, he gets up and leaves. THAT is a well-trained animal.
He and his brother Hamish make me laff several times a day, and for that I'm forever grateful. They never bite anything, let alone anybody.

IMG_20200408_100125 1024 px.jpg
They do claw the furniture...

D

Deleted member 50714

About 7-years ago, while traveling on business, my wife took our late Maxx, (Dobbie) for a leashed neighborhood walk.

During the walk, they encountered an unleashed pit bull who attacked Maxx. The pit bull's owner, a white skinny lady, struggled with my wife to separate the dogs.

Afterwards, Maxx required 250 sutures to close his wounds. A $2,500.00 veterinarian value. Maxx fully recovered but suffered from night terrors.

The lady tried to conceal where she lived by giving my wife a false address. Fortunately, my wife had presence mind to follow the lady to her house.

It took over 4-months to recover damages via small claims.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
We were walking our Sheltie down the street. A neighbor's lab is a nut, it attacks anything. It had been lying in their yard and only noticed another dog at about 100 feet.
It came at us running and growling, so quickly there was no time to react.
Typically even an aggressive dog will slow and posture at close quarters. This dog was at full speed as it came along side our 25 lb beast. The Lab grabbed a hard bite as it quickly passed. The wife freaked, thinking that the entire ass end of our dog would be gone.
We don't really brush the dog much. When I looked back, the lab had stopped and was spitting out a mouth full of hair. I don't think our dog noticed that anything had even happened.

CJPJ

2008 3500 170 EXTD 3.0 V6 OM642.993 4.182
Wife carries the Bear Attack Deterrent (1.1Capsaicin and 0.9% related capsaicinoids derived from Oleoresin of capsicum) and belt with side holstered S&W 6" 357 mag.

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
my 15lb JRT doesn't like black dogs.
You should see him jumping on 100 lb dogs in the park.
Very friendly dog otherwise, but few years ago he was bitten hard by pit bull, who was allowed on the street with no leash and run across the street for direct attack, while female owner on other side never could control it.
That said, dogs, just like people can have different mentality. Living in multiracial communities, I can observe how different race people act differently in situations.
In the past we did own German Shepard. She was very friendly with us around, but had instinct for protecting the property, so couple of times when stranger enter our property with us away, she would let him in, but would attack when he was trying to leave.
That did not make nice situation. When we prized the dog for doing her job, we had to pay ER bills and worry about potential lawsuit.
This is USA, where ambulance chasers are every day occurrence.

tinman

My wife and I walk a lot, I bike and cross-country ski. We encounter dogs all the time, mostly well-behaved and in control of their owners, but often enough not that my wife is quite terrified of unleashed or uncontrolled dogs. I know others that are similarly fearful, and for some the anxiety really detracts from their enjoyment of the urban outdoors. I agree that it (almost) all comes down to the owners and their sense of responsibility. We've done a couple of long walks in the UK. Lots of dogs, and without exception very well behaved. Most pass by without even making eye contact. Even farm dogs in rural Portugal would make a lot of racket when I ran by, but always stopped at the end of their driveways. Scariest were some wild dogs some years ago in a mountainous area of Greece. They came bounding out of the forest as we were heading uphill in a gutless rental car and I was honestly afraid they'd catch us and rip the thing open.

A Brit dog walker asked me "what has four legs and one arm?".

Answer, "A Rottweiler."

pfflyer

Seems like all the vicious attacks locally are by pit bulls. Whenever we hear news of another attack the wife and I look at each other and say pit bulls. I cant remember a time when we turned out to be wrong. My sister has 2. Hers are big spoiled babies but you never know when or if they will turn. I just don't trust them. Part of the problem with aggressive dogs is the owner but with pits it is more dog than owner.

MsNomer

The most scared I’ve ever been of an animal was Romanian sheep dogs. I stood my ground as they barreled toward me. I really think the shepherd was enjoying himself as he called them off at the last second. This was after we had carefully detoured around his sheep on the trail.

Top Bottom