Water Filter option for Sprinter

Burke33

Didn't find much help with the search function...

Can someone recommend a good water filtration system for my Sprinter 2019? It seems the "in line" options might be the best in terms of space and effectiveness. I DO want the option to drink my fresh water without having to buy bottled water all the time.

Thanks for the suggestions in advance!

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
The RV and Conversions section has a number of conversations on water filters. Here is a search that seemed to yield some good results: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/...st&c[child_nodes]=1&c[nodes][0]=4&o=relevance

I'll contribute the following: I have an American Plumber W385-PR water filter housing, with Pentek CBC-5 filter media. It has a 0.5 micron rating and a 1 GPM flow rate at 7 PSI. Seems to work for me, but it isn't high end or anything.

sprint2freedom

2008 NCV3 170ext
Being able to drink out of the tap is a huge convenience. Bottled water is expensive, heavy, wasteful, detrimental to the environment, and is less regulated than water utilities.

I also use the CBC-5, but in a Pentek 158110 housing. Actually I have two such housings: upstream of the CBC-5 is a Pentek P5-478 5 micron spun polypropylene filter to remove particulates. That setup works well. Water flow is reduced a bit but still adequate for showering- I consider the reduced flow a feature as it promotes conservation.

sprint2freedom

2008 NCV3 170ext
Clear filter housings are nice as you can get a visual indication of the filter condition. I chose to avoid housings with a pressure relief button as I don't trust the button not to leak.

My filters are located downstream of the water pump and upstream of the hot water tank.

Plan on replacing the o-rings with every filter change as they stretch out when the housing is tightened. I carry a filter wrench as well as spare o-rings and filters as they can be hard to source locally. A few drops of bleach are helpful when changing the filters when cleaning/disinfecting the insides of the housings.

I get about 6-9 months out of a pair of filters with full-time / liveaboard use. I can't comment on lifespan if water isn't flowing through the filters regularly but I'd expect it to be reduced due to microbial growth. You may be able to run some faintly chlorinated water through the filter to sterilize it prior to a period of disuse (similar to winterizing).

N. Coast

Being able to drink out of the tap is a huge convenience. Bottled water is expensive, heavy, wasteful, detrimental to the environment, and is less regulated than water utilities.

I also use the CBC-5, but in a Pentek 158110 housing. Actually I have two such housings: upstream of the CBC-5 is a Pentek P5-478 5 micron spun polypropylene filter to remove particulates. That setup works well. Water flow is reduced a bit but still adequate for showering- I consider the reduced flow a feature as it promotes conservation.
If possible I would like to drink water from the tank but worried it’s not safe.
Do you think your setup is safe? Do you drink the water??
Thanks for your help.

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Plan on replacing the o-rings with every filter change as they stretch out when the housing is tightened.
I have some food safe silicone grease that I put on the O rings. It keeps them from stretching during the tightening. I have been using the same ones for years now. I try not to over tighten the housings, it can actually cause leaks.

f possible I would like to drink water from the tank but worried it’s not safe.

Tank water is perfectly safe. Its not like mystic deadly microbes will grow in clean water. Fill up from a good source, and drink it. Bleach the tank once or twice a year as necessary. Even if you get minor microbial growth, its extremely unlikely to cause illness. The most common issues are contamination from a bad source. The most common are hoses with dual usage, wells with bad caps, which let surface water run down into the casing, etc. All of these can be treated with the bleach method without issue.

Otherwise you can add the recommended amount of bleach with each fill up. Then use an active carbon filter for taste.

Burke33

Do you still add bleach to each fill up or do you just drink as is from your filtering method you have?

Thanks!

sprint2freedom

2008 NCV3 170ext
If possible I would like to drink water from the tank but worried it’s not safe.
Do you think your setup is safe? Do you drink the water??
Thanks for your help.
I absolutely think it's safe. I'm not adding river water, only domestic drinking water from various sources. It's pretty much the only faucet I drink from as the van is my full-time home.

I've never added bleach to the water itself since the water I'm adding is already chlorinated. I haven't noticed any indication of microbial growth inside water containers- they just smell like plastic, but I am constantly rotating between six 5 gallon jugs which are drained and replenished during travel, so I'm not storing water long-term.

There's always some risk of contamination especially where other people have access to the faucet you're filling from. When filling up I always consider that someone could have stepped in dog waste and cleaned their shoes off by rinsing them with high pressure water splattering the mess everywhere, or used the restroom and then washed their hands- contaminating both knob and faucet. Fresh water fills at dump stations always give me pause, even when they're clearly labeled potable only. Many people don't read or follow directions.

I attempt to mitigate this by always running the faucet at high flow for a few seconds in an effort to flush out any contaminants or at least reduce their concentration substantially. This also helps to flush out mineralized water in cases where the faucet hasn't been used in a long time. If I were more paranoid I suppose I'd mist the faucet with a spray bottle of diluted bleach and water before using it.

Keeping things clean and flushed out goes a long way. Sub-micron and carbon filtration, albeit imperfect, gives me peace of mind. There are certainly more complex setups but this one was been great so far.

I have some food safe silicone grease that I put on the O rings. It keeps them from stretching during the tightening. I have been using the same ones for years now. I try not to over tighten the housings, it can actually cause leaks.
I actually carry the same grease and do this as well but completely forgot about it as I haven't done the filters in months. Also, the wrench is only for loosening. Hand tighten only.

RVBarry

Hi, I notice the Pentek filters are not NSF-53 certified.
Culligan and some other brands are, but only for "nominal" 0.5 micron filtering, not "absolute".

I'd really prefer not to carry bottled water for USA & CAN. (Would get RO water in Baja.)

Thoughts?

Top Bottom