Windshield Rubber Trim Necessary?

The trim rubber on the T1N windshield aka windscreen sometimes comes up for discussion. Is it necessary? My feeling is that it is just a pretty piece which unfortunately traps debris and moisture to encourage rust. The areas under the Sprinter rubber trim don't drain water well. That is especially true after debris has collected behind the rubber.

Yesterday I noted my friend's Transit windshield. It is glued in the same as the T1N Sprinter. There is no rubber insert trim rubber. The edge of the glass is exposed.

Some poor quality pictures of the Transit glass.

2019TransitWindshield.jpg

2019TransitWindshield02.jpg

I think the Transit approach is more practical for avoiding rust around the windshield.

vic

Added:
There's some related info and discussion in this thread.

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
The downside of the Transit approach is if a rock comes in (or up) from the side ... it can chip the *edge* of the glass, soon leading to a window-spanning crack.

I had that happen to an exposed-edge minivan window. Sound of rock, and then 1/3rd of the window cracked within 15 minutes (hot dry conditions, 50 miles from any source of helpful repair materials)

--dick

I did with a new windshield last year. The rubber gasket does nothing but trap moisture and promote rust even with the so-called venting out of the bottom edge. I was lucky and had no rust holes because 7 or 8 years ago when I replaced the windshield, my friend at the body shop ground all the rust off, painted layers of primer, paint, and clear coat that carried me through to this past year. If I had known at the time, I would have had him do what I did this time. No more windshield gaskets for this Sprinter.

... Vic. Did you end up doing it?
I have left the 2006 trim rubber intact. I do periodically spritz WD40 into the channels under the trim rubber. I also added some trimmer string extra drains to all window rubber including the side windows. All seems ok so far.

The lower rubber trim was cut loose from the bottom of my windshield for the Eternabond overlay repair. The rest of the rubber trim was left in place when I sealed the upper sections using polyurethane sealant. If I were to do another windshield with sealant I would remove the trim rubber and seal the glass edge directly. Tha rear windows I repaired have the Dicor sealant bedded directly to the glass edge. Working fine.

During hard rains the top of the 2004 started dripping a small stream of water down the inside of the glass. Driver side left of mirror. I figured the polyurethane had let go in that area. Inspection showed the sealant was still good in that area. I did find that rust had bubbled under the sealant at the outside top corners. The water must have been migrating over from the top corners. I used some bedding putty to cover the bad spots. So far so good.

The lower Eternabond repair is still working fine. I did make some repairs to the lower area using bedding putty to address minor deterioration.

My window fix is here.

vic

Last edited:

tinman

When I had my windshield replaced a couple of years ago the installer used a much smaller rubber trim piece that does cover the edge of the glass but leaves the "gutter" around the windshield mostly exposed, so it doesn't trap water and leaves. I had no rust prior to the change, and the installer was pretty careful, with only a couple of minor paint nicks for me to touch up.

I did with a new windshield last year. The rubber gasket does nothing but trap moisture and promote rust even with the so-called venting out of the bottom edge. I was lucky and had no rust holes because 7 or 8 years ago when I replaced the windshield, my friend at the body shop ground all the rust off, painted layers of primer, paint, and clear coat that carried me through to this past year. If I had known at the time, I would have had him do what I did this time. No more windshield gaskets for this Sprinter.
So did you just leave the gasket off this time around?

When I had my windshield replaced a couple of years ago the installer used a much smaller rubber trim piece that does cover the edge of the glass but leaves the "gutter" around the windshield mostly exposed, so it doesn't trap water and leaves. I had no rust prior to the change, and the installer was pretty careful, with only a couple of minor paint nicks for me to touch up.
Any chance you could provide a pic or any other info regarding this trim ring? It sounds like a great solution.

Yes schuyantvan. No more windshield rubber gaskets for this Sprinter van, only the adhesive. There are few spots where the edge of the windshield glass is exposed that has me considering adding a touch of black caulk as a fill-in.

The two AMA half sliders I put in last year just behind the front cab on my 06 2500 are the same. The adhesive leaves some and most of the glass edges exposed. With the rain lately, it is good to see there are no leaks in the window adhesive.

jeffro109

No, it isn't required. I had my front windshield replaced (4 times to get the correct fit...) and the installer noted that it is purely cosmetic on the T1N, the urethane holds/seals. It actually peels off pretty easily.

No, it isn't required. I had my front windshield replaced (4 times to get the correct fit...) and the installer noted that it is purely cosmetic on the T1N, the urethane holds/seals. It actually peels off pretty easily.
have you deleted the trim ring on your van or do you use one still?

jeffro109

I still have one, though I’m considering ways to get better drainage under it including removing the outer portion and leaving the part that sits around the outer edge of the glass only. The outside edge of the glass needs a bit of impact protection I feel...or at least I don’t want to pay for another window from a silly gravel hit or something.

I still have one, though I’m considering ways to get better drainage under it including removing the outer portion and leaving the part that sits around the outer edge of the glass only. The outside edge of the glass needs a bit of impact protection I feel...or at least I don’t want to pay for another window from a silly gravel hit or something.
I’m tempted to try the same thing. Any idea how likely it is the original gasket can be put back in after removal Vs having a new one on hand?

I’m tempted to try the same thing. Any idea how likely it is the original gasket can be put back in after removal Vs having a new one on hand?
First.
My experience with trimming the rubber back to eliminate the "lip or flap" is that it's fairly easy if you use care and a sharp blade.

I believe there are some ideas for that rubber trimming/removal here.

If the rubber is removed completely to trim the lip my guess is that there will be some stubborn areas that will resist re-install. The windshield adhesive cured shape may work against getting the rubber to seat back where it was.

vic

jeffro109

I think that mainly depends on the age of the gasket. Mine is just a couple months old now and is very flexible and I believe that I could peel it off and put it back in with a little bit of patience very easily after trimming the outer part off. The old one that came off the van was somewhat stiffer and would likely present more of a challenge unless slightly heated perhaps...unsure what the best method might be, trim in place or try to revive the old rubber after removal.

gilee

2006 Sprinter 2500 Camper
Wanna share my recent windshield replacement and thoughts on the molding.

I just had my cracked windshield replaced after removing the windshield myself, grind down to bare metal and repaint, then asked a professional to come to my home to have the new windshield installed.

The installer has high rating, and he helps dealers do insurance glass installation.
At first when I was asking for a quote, he said the quote comes with the molding around the windshield, after some back and forth, he is willing to do the installation without the molding and quoted me $190 installed without the molding. So be prepared your installer might tell you the molding is required, as I believe they make more money from it!
Also FYI, I removed my old molding, and it is in perfect shape still after I cleaned it, so I am pretty sure it can be reused.

When he arrived for the installation, we chatted more and he said the molding is only cosmetic only, and his own sprinter and private biz owner owned Sprinter all opted out of the molding. He said it is known for the reason of rust. same for all his Ford/GMC trucks too.

My Before and after windshield installation:
1624888983459.png1624889013085.png
I did waited full 2 weeks for the paint to fully cured before having the new windshield installed. I also lightly sanded the surrounding and cleaned with alcohol before installation.

This is the primer they put on the trim, and honestly, those black primer, is what showing after the windshield installed. Not all around, mostly at bottom and just some area, you can see in the pic below.
1624889077229.png1624889319870.png1624889345682.png
With the Hood back on, you cannot see any of the bottom area.

Honestly, it is not perfect, like with the molding. If you know where and what to look for, you will see small patches of black primer (sometimes urethane) sticking out under the windshield edge. But its been ~2 months now, with rain and pollen and everything outdoor, and each time it rains, it just cleans off the edge and dry up immediately when sun comes out. I will prefer this way then rust, and I most likely will get insurance with full glass coverage, especially my sprinter has so many glass all around.

Top Bottom