Is there any way to PERMANENTLY disable Lane Keep Assist?

COVAN-19

Would appreciate any solution to this as well. I keep turning it off and hoped that loading and saving a new MBUX user profile with it off would make it stay off, but this hasn't happened.

ckid

What happens if there is dangerous debris in your lane and you have to swerve to go around it either into the adjacent lane or onto the shoulder? What if another vehicle is merging into you and you have to quickly mover over to get out of the way?

sebcbien

from what I've heard (not yet tested) the system detects if it's intentional or not. if you cross slowly a line, it's probably not intentional and the van will corrects. If you give a intentional movement to the wheel then the system only beeps but no correction.

Eric B

@sebcbien my experience is that when it is active it will always correct at highway speeds unless your turn signal is engaged first. I have not noticed that it makes a difference between drifting out of lane due to inattention, or when intentionally clipping a lane

D

Deleted member 50714

I dunno, I'm not an attorney but victimized by many.

If discovered during accident investigation from Event Data Recorder and or other evidence, that safety features were intentionally tampered or deactivated, may expose you to severe civil and criminal liabilities, even if it was determined you were not the cause of the accident.

Last edited by a moderator:

sebcbien

I asked my dealer to test drive one with keep lane assist and distronic to see if they work correctly. If not, I will not take them (optional here)

D

Deleted member 50714

I asked my dealer to test drive one with keep lane assist and distronic to see if they work correctly. If not, I will not take them (optional here)
Greetings kind sir, I hope all is well with self and family.

Please be cognizant Distronics is not flawless, and May have Borged or assimilated Tempomatic and I assume frequent firmware revisions available via wireless DoIP.

My experience is only with a 2018 Corolla and I am extremely impressed and enjoy it very much.

I understand Mercedes is much better operating at a lower speed envelope which, is convenient in bumper-to-bumper traffic and less likely to suffer serious injury or death as a result of system malfunction.

D

Deleted member 50714

And....lane assist saved my ass a couple times as well.

Have you met Bitching Betty?

skithetrees

Why would that be dangerous, shouldn't you be signalling before you change lanes ?
The problem occurs when you're not changing lanes, just riding along in your lane and suddenly ALKA thinks you're in another lane and slams on the brakes. Bonus points when you're next to a semi and a retaining wall.

The issue is not that ALKA functions - it's that it MANY has false-positives that cause issues. Mine will alert and hit the brakes when my vehicle is within the lines - NOT over. If you're on a highway with asphalt patches, it may read those as lane markers and activate then. It's dangerous.

D

Deleted member 50714

I think 737 Max Jets were doing something similar, interfering with human input.

This is fuggin the technology everyone clambers for. More technology to counteract the ill effects of other technology.

For example, teenagers...people texting/talking on smart phones while driving, fatigued or intoxicated.

GLJones

skithetrees, have you had your software updated? My 2019 was trying to kill us when we first got it. Slight touch of the white line at the start of an exit on the highway would slam on the breaks. Crosswind assist would make us swerve worse than the wind...especially when it was the wind caused by a passing semi.
We had the software refreshed on the van and now the 'help' is much gentler and isn't trying to kill us. I really don't get false positives...it happens when I touch the lane markers or solid lines.

Van-demic

I can confirm that it engages before crossing lines and doesn’t take into account things like semi trucks next to you and will correct you into the direction of risk. I find that it’s more unsafe on than off. I did find one option to share: the mbux system will allow you to disable by voice. “ Mercedes turn off lane assist.”

Seacoaster

I can confirm that it engages before crossing lines and doesn’t take into account things like semi trucks next to you and will correct you into the direction of risk. I find that it’s more unsafe on than off. I did find one option to share: the mbux system will allow you to disable by voice. “ Mercedes turn off lane assist.”
The voice command is simple enough, thanks for sharing. I’m yet to find a lane assist I like. My E class, Denali etc all get shut off. I think they should be “self learning”, for instance on a two lane highway doing 50mph, I tend to hang my passenger tires just over the white line, especially in corners.

Seacoaster

I’ve now tried a number of times and cannot get the voice command to work for this function. I did not with my bike rack on the back, when I engage reverse, the van will lock the front wheels when you try to move, it is easily override by touching the ikon in the upper left of the 360 view camera on screen. I need to figure the lane assist inconvenience out.

dddrks

The voice command is simple enough, thanks for sharing. I’m yet to find a lane assist I like. My E class, Denali etc all get shut off. I think they should be “self learning”, for instance on a two lane highway doing 50mph, I tend to hang my passenger tires just over the white line, especially in corners.
Our Volvo XC90 has the best lane assist IMO. There is a progressive level of pressure applied to the wheel + feedback when the vehicle starts to drift. The only time that the Volvo has stepped in with active braking is if it detected drift + an obstacle in the direction of travel. I think the MB system is too sensitive and jarring – especially in those scenarios where touching the white line is out of necessity or intentional. The audible, dashboard alert and braking really gets the heart racing.

GLJones

OK. Over the past 3 days I drove from Orlando to Gulfport, MS and back to Orlando and just landed in Vegas (by plane). I used the Adaptive Cruise Control and lane keeping assist the entire way. When I first got my van (2019) I thought the lane keeping assist was trying to kill me. A software update or reload seems to have fixed the issue and it is currently working exactly as I would expect it to. It does not happen unless my tire is touching the lane markers. When it does go off, the steering wheel vibrates and the breaks nudge the van back toward the lane, gently. If I cross a solid line the braking is a little more aggressive, but not dangerous and I still have full control of the van and steering.

I really believe the people complaining about this issue need to have their van's computer system re-flashed or updated. I have experienced what they are describing here but it has been fixed on my van. I think you just need to find a service department that will do the update for you. It is NOT supposed to act in the manner these people are experiencing. It CAN be fixed....my van is proof.

GLJones

I’ve now tried a number of times and cannot get the voice command to work for this function. I did not with my bike rack on the back, when I engage reverse, the van will lock the front wheels when you try to move, it is easily override by touching the ikon in the upper left of the 360 view camera on screen. I need to figure the lane assist inconvenience out.
If you block the sensors, this is the result. The other day I was wiggling out of an area between plants with giant leaves. When the soft, non-damaging plants touched the sensors, the van refused to move. I had to turn them off the the icon you describe to continue.

Sounds like the bike rack you have is blocking sensors. You can disable the rear sensors if you trick the van into thinking there is a trailer connected. Perhaps a resistor across the trailer connection to simulate tail lights?

Seacoaster

If you block the sensors, this is the result. The other day I was wiggling out of an area between plants with giant leaves. When the soft, non-damaging plants touched the sensors, the van refused to move. I had to turn them off the the icon you describe to continue.

Sounds like the bike rack you have is blocking sensors. You can disable the rear sensors if you trick the van into thinking there is a trailer connected. Perhaps a resistor across the trailer connection to simulate tail lights?
The theory of a trailer is a good one. I’ll have to think about that. I wonder if a plug in cutoff of a trailer wire harness will do the trick.

Top Bottom