Tuning for more power, with warranty?

TFell

Hello, are there any tune options that offer more power and do not void the Mercedes factory warranty? Some manufacturers offer factory supported tunes, like GM has done in the past on some of their cars. Wondering if there is anything out there. Not looking to remove emissions functionality, just want more power.

Thanks

sailquik

TFell,
Which model Sprinter do you have?
T1N (2001-2006 USA); NCV3 (2007-2009 USA) NCV3 (2010-2018 USA) C907 VS30 (2019-2020 USA).
Is you Sprinter a 3.0 liter V6 with a 5 speed semi-auto (shiftable) transmission; a 4 cylinder with a
7 speed semi-auto (shiftable) transmission; or a 3.0 liter V6 with a 7 speed semi-auto (shiftable) transmission?
Where are you needing more power?
Uphill grades?
Is your Sprinter a heavy RV conversion?
Being able to manually down shift your transmission to get your engine up into the RPM range where it makes
it's best power often solves the "lack of power" issue.
Roger

TFell

Hi Roger, it’s a 2020 class C motorhome with the 3 liter V6 and 7 speed. It’s definitely heavy, so looking for more power on the freeway. The tunes offer quite a bit more power and torque, even at low RPM, thereby negating the need to downshift as often. Not willing to void the warranty on such a new vehicle.

sailquik

TFell,
I'm puzzled here.
The 7G-Tronic coupled to the re-tuned (for 2019/2020) OM-642 3.0 liter V6 takes care of nearly all of the downshifting
for you autonomously.
You step on the throttle pedal, asking for more power, and the 7G-Tronic auto-downshifts a gear or 2 giving you a significant
boost in acceleration, and then, as soon as the % engine Load drops back, it auto up-shifts back into the most economical
gear for the current conditions.
Not sure how a few more horsepower would improve the acceleration, as the engine and transmission management systems
are pretty much optimized and the transmission would still auto-downshift when the % engine Load exceeds the programmed
value.
Not sure where you are getting "Sprinter specific" tune information, but as a long time member here and having owned and
driven 6 Sprinter (2006 5 cyl-2019 C907 VS30) for well over 1/2 million miles, all with the stock tune and sometimes towing
at 12,000 lbs. + GCVWR I've never found an need for more power.
The Sprinter with the 5G-Tronic 5 speed (both OM-647 5 cylinder T1N and OM-642 V6 engines) required quite a bit of
"driver intervention" and manual downshifts to get the best performance and mileage, but the 7G-Tronic pretty much
takes care of everything autnomously.
Programmed auto-downshifts use a tiny bit more fuel as the OM-642 3.0 liter V6 still makes it's best power in the 2600-3200
RPM range, but the programming keeps the RPM right around the 1800-2400 range whenever the demand is low enough
(based on % engine Load perhaps?).
Which rear end ratio do you have?
I hope it's the 4.182 :1 as the other two available ratios would really hurt the acceleration in a heavy add on body RV.
I would wait until the warranty runs out, and then investigate "tunes" but all the "tunes" are actually illegal under
EPA emissions regulations.
Sorry, I have nothing more to offer here.
Roger

D

Deleted member 50714

Piss is a byproduct of beer drinking, I don't go around pissing on yer knickers and would appreciate you reciprocate by not fouling the air I...we all breathe.

If yer can't afford to maintain her, use Ubër.

sailquik

Looked at the Renntech 2019+ Sprinter OM-642 3.0 liter V6 tuning specs.
Impressive numbers!
  • MY2019+
    • Tuned via Flash | ECU needs to be send to Renntech
Stock Performance:
185 HP / 325 LB-FT

Modified Performance:
265 HP / 422 LB-FT

Gains:
+80 HP / +97 LB-FT
Wonder how much more fuel this tune will consume?
Also wonder how the "tuned" emissions profile correlates to the EPA profile for this engine in stock tune
in a Sprinter.
I suppose some MB dealers might install this, but the dealer I
use I'm pretty sure will not!
Be interesting as the previous Renntech tunes were easily reversible, but the
C907/VS30 tune modifies the ECU so once tuned, you probably can't reverse the changes without purchasing
a new ECU and having it installed an software integrated to the particular vehicle (requires an MB diagnostic
computer).
I'll stick with stock and 19-20 mpg in a lightly loaded 2019 C907 VS 30 170" wheelbase
519/3500 short back high roof with the 4.182 : 1 differential ratio.
Roger

Last edited:
Looked at the Renntech 2019+ Sprinter OM-642 3.0 liter V6 tuning specs.
Impressive numbers!
  • MY2019+
    • Tuned via Flash | ECU needs to be send to Renntech
Stock Performance:
185 HP / 325 LB-FT

Modified Performance:
265 HP / 422 LB-FT

Gains:
+80 HP / +97 LB-FT
Wonder how much more fuel this tune will consume?
Also wonder how the "tuned" emissions profile correlates to the EPA profile for this engine in stock tune
in a Sprinter.
I suppose some MB dealers might install this, but the dealer I
use I'm pretty sure will not!
Be interesting as the previous Renntech tunes were easily reversible, but the
C907/VS30 tune modifies the ECU so once tuned, you probably can't reverse the changes without purchasing
a new ECU and having it installed an software integrated to the particular vehicle (requires an MB diagnostic
computer).
I'll stick with stock and 19-20 mpg in a lightly loaded 2019 C907 VS 30 170" wheelbase
519/3500 short back high roof with the 4.182 : 1 differential ratio.
Roger
Roger - I don’t know what you are spefically reading but the Renntech HHT works on the 906/907 through the OBD II port and can tune to the modified Renntech tune and then back to Stock tune. There is no removal of ecu required and one would be foolish to pay a dealer to install something that end user could easily do themselves. Here’s a video showing the process on a current day Sprinter.

chipsterguy

This RENTCH tune is a game changer in terms of improved drivability and power. But not cheap at nearly $1,500. I pick up my converted passenger 144 HR 4x4 this week from my builder and plan to log many hours in stock tune before even considering this.

Now, if the tune could disable lane keeping assist, that might be interesting...

126v8

With over 125k miles of driving my ’08 with a V^ and 5 speed, in a heavily laden RV, the times I needed “more power” has been...never.

Icarus
I reiterate I has been passed by a few NCV3s on the freeway at sustained speeds over 75 mph and they disappeared!!
My Chevy 6.O v8 has more power and torque
Yet to experience that with an VS30s

brianzoh

That's a really good gain on the tune, if the numbers +80 HP / +97 LB-FT are accurate. The price isn't cheap but is in line with performance tunes for other vehicles.

I am definitely interested in checking this out. The van is great to cruise in but can be definitely lacking at altitude and grade when loaded and with dual tires in the rear. Yes, downshifting to put the engine closer to the sweet spot in the hp/torque curve helps but it's not a magic cure-all, no matter what anyone says. More torque/hp = more work. It's basic physics.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
With over 125k miles of driving my ’08 with a V^ and 5 speed, in a heavily laden RV, the times I needed “more power” has been...never.

Icarus
I can’t help but wonder if at times drivers of vehicles behind you wished you had more power...

???‍♂

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
I drove my 440 HP Ford truck with camper on it for 30,000 miles, keeping CC at 60 mph for fuel economy.
Even I averaged 12 mpg, I decided that 24 mpg Sprinter is more to my liking.
There is no free lunch.

Top Bottom