Tuning for more power, with warranty?

SD26

2012 NCV3 3500
i thought the regens were intended to remove the soot from the dpf?
It certainly removes particulate from it.

However, there's always a little material left. It's smaller and smaller pieces that might not ever get out. It's like blowing up a quarry all the time. Sure, larger pieces can be easily removed, but there's an increasing number of smaller and even tiny pieces that don't get removed.

But the question still remains, what was the previous frequency of your regens? Perhaps that isn't a data set known other than something off handedly?

w15p

2019 144 HR 4x4
What was your data on regens prior? DEF use and DPF regen is load based. If a tune is "too much fun", one might just be on the throttle more than previously.

Regen produces a lot of heat in engine and exhaust. I think I have heard some discuss the lack of robustness of the Sprinter exhaust system. So, potentially, failure of some or all of the exhaust system sooner can be a result.
Thanks for the replies - it may just be that it is too much fun. I do not have a light foot.

I'll flash back to stock and monitor whether that affects the regen

Ivan Borisovich

Born in the DZ - From Exton PA
Thanks for the replies - it may just be that it is too much fun. I do not have a light foot.

I'll flash back to stock and monitor whether that affects the regen
It will, but after 2 or 3 regens.... Why don't you look into printing out the history of the last 50 regens and see based on what your van is regenerating? Fuel consumption?

Spicoli07

Quick question to this thread group. I have a 2019 VS30 4x4. I've been running the Race Chip for about 2 years. Early on, I was having issues with the peddle going flat to the floor with zero power during emergency or quick acceleration. I'm assuming the ECU trying to protect the engine under to high amount of boost pressure caused by the RaceChip? I turned the tune down a couple levels and the problem stopped.., for the most part. Then recently, I brought my van in to the dealer to address another of the 37 factory recalls I've had on the van. I forgot to turn the RaceChip off and back into factory mode when I brought it in, not realizing the recall was a remap of the ECU. Ever since this service, my check engine light has been on. My power is way down both with the RaceChip on and with it off. I can turn the RaceChip off and after 2-3 days the engine light goes off, but as soon as I turn the RaceChip back on the check engine light comes on and the power goes way down again.

Any thoughts on the best course of action to resolve this? I was thinking about removing the RaceChip and have the service tech do the ECU update again. But I am not knowledgeable enough about engine mapping and the interface with the RaceChip to understand if the problem is with the ECU being remapped with RaceChip on and interfering with the ECU update, the RaceChip not being compatible with the ECU now that it has been updated by Mercedes, or something completely outside of this? Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated!
@SurfNSnowVan any follow-up on your impression of the Race Chip? I need more power going up the mountains, I haven't even tried to tow anything up the mountains but can't imagine it would be fun if I struggle to keep 65 mph as it is up the 395 and 80.

Top Bottom