612 Glow Plug Replacement

nctrailseeker

I need to replace the glow plugs on a 2003 / 612 engine with around 160k miles. No idea if they are the original GP or not.
Couple questions.
---- Is it really a necessity and worth the time to remove the intake? And if so, do I just need to unbolt and lay to the side enough to do the GP? I'm not interested or concerned with changing the intake to the 647 for this particular van.
---- Secondly, I've seen it can be done without intake removal with the right extension and wobbly. Can someone verify that, and if so, a picture of what I need would be great.
---- And lastly, is there a simple way to check the glow plugs to see if they are good or bad prior to attempting to remove them? This would be wonderful if I could avoid any unnecessary gambles on breaking GP.

Oilburner

2004 2500 140"cargo l/r x 2
Any reason to replace plugs? Mileage?
If you have no indication, that plugs are dead, stay away from doing this.
Too much to risk, not much to gain.

hkpierce

'02 140 Hi BlueBlk Pass
Ditto Oilburner - on an OM612 this is a risk. I don't know how many of my glowplugs were dead - but I started for a couple of winters without a couple including, once, down to -2 F (picture captured only at -1).
Annotation 2020-08-18 101544.jpg

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Guess it’s time I learn how to do that. Easy? Simple?
Should be very simple, this is a link from the Write Up section...

Keith.

nctrailseeker

Should be very simple, this is a link from the Write Up section...

Keith.
Have you done this before? Is it easy to tell which wire is #1 & so on?

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
IIRC the numbering on the plug is in reverse to the cylinder numbers, ie 1 is 5, and 5 is 1. But double check by either testing directly onto the top of the plug with the fused wire or checking for continuity from controller to glow plug.

Keith.

Top Bottom