Help on the road

bhp_12

Hey there - driving out west in our 04 sprinter camper van. Was on the highway doing about 65, and all of sudden we heard a sort of poof sound (almost like the sound a semi makes when it’s about to take off, if that makes sense) and there was a puff of black smoke. Van started running poorly, and almost sputters when going from stopped to rolling slowly. No check engine light on. Just had turbo modulator replaced, glow plugs, egr valves before we hit the road. Was running great until this. Any thoughts? At the dealer now in Des Moines hoping they can help but just curious what it could be.

Open the hood, crawl under and look for a split hose, hose blown off, loose clamp, or other charge air system problem. There can be a charge air system leak without triggering a DTC.

vic

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Accompanied by a loss of power?
Perhaps a boost hose let go and you heard the air pressure escaping.
I’d be curious what the shop finds...
(added: Vic beat me to the punch!)

-dave

45Kevin

I had a VW TDI that did the same thing a few years ago.
Turned out to be a hose from the turbo let go.
I had the hose off to de-carbon the intake manifold and didn't tighten it enough I guess.
It was an easy fix.

kjg912

2006 T1N 2500
The hose is an easy fix, and too many T1N's have had turbo resonator problems in as few as 10-20k miles (and ever after) to not replace this faulty MB part with the resonator eliminator or the Dorman replacement. I like the eliminator as a one-and-done solution but many also prefer the Dorman replacement! Glad you are back on the road!

Top Bottom