Safety - Hydraulic Power Steering Bottom Hose - Sprinter Forum Recall

Desertbound

We put together a kit to make fixing this a little easier. Comes with a small hose extension piece to alleviate the tension on the short hose from the factory. Included is some Pentosin CHF 11S fluid should you spill a little more than expected.

-Rob @ VC

Holmeslice

2020 VS30 144" High Crew
Added:
Thanks, Keith. It is an OM642 6-cyl diesel. From my research the electronically assisted power steering was only on gas vehicles, no? And If I'm wrong (and it would be great if I am!), perhaps an addendum to the sticky would help others too.

---- added: as I was typing this, Cheyenne directed us to another thread. It seems that all 2wd VS30 vans have electronic assisted power steering, not merely diesel vs. gas. Again, an addendum to the sticky would help and I will do just that by editing my sticky post. Thanks much!

Hope someone can lead the blind. Today I planned on adding an extension to my 2020 144” crew power steering return hose. I’ve purchased all the proper components; ps 3/8” hose, barbed fitting and hose clamps. When opening the hood of my van I can’t see any hoses that match the description of what others have! I’ve searched several posts about this and climbed on top and under my van but the only lines I see look significantly different, with swaged ends. See attached here. Can someone let me know if I’m missing something?

Thanks,

Kenny

Edit: ---- Because I wanted to tackle this fix today, I posted a similar question in the main VS30 forum and learned that 2wd Sprinters (not merely diesel vs gas) have electronically assisted power steering, and therefore won't have the hydraulic lines that are problematic. This makes me happy, and hopefully others too.

-Kenny

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
P

Patrick walsh

Question,

So I got my van back from my local dealer. They fixed the hose per the recall or manufactures suggestion “I believe with updated clamp”..

Im curious is this fix sufficient considering I see the extended hose kit again.

Weekly I’m 3-5 hours from a dealer and I’d hate to have this hose be a problem again when I’m deep back down a dirt road I can’t even turn around on..

Added:

Mean-in-green has additional information about his NCV3 PS hose. :thumbup:

NCV3 / 906 low pressure steering hose - up to the job?

rollerbearing

i had my recall done on my 2019 and 4000 miles later on a fire trail the lower hose came off again .
I assume they put on a screw type clamp - any evidence of cooler tube bending or hose damage that might indicate it was physically pulled off vs pushed off by hydraulic pressure?

Was the fire road rough enough that body flex might have been exaggerated?

there were 30+ other sprinter 4x4 2016-2020 models , and I had the only failure. I don't believe it was screw type because a screw driver wasn't involved in putting the clamp back on . was able to push it back on with pliers . I personally didn't do it so I couldn't tell you more. Having a hard time with Mercedes Benz now trying to void my warranty because of my emergency situation . The vehicle was stranded We were 45 min from cell reception and 1hour and 45 min from a paved road. we had to use what fluids were avail might have been brake fluid not sure. And then had it towed to the dealer right away .

Mathewst

guys, my car went though 2 recalls its fine now or still something is missing, last recall with hoses had been worked out last week

tegnamo

My own anecdote from the Sprinter dealer was that there was a batch of bad hose clamps at some point, but also yes the hose was clearly too short. And the i4 gas was apparently the only one with electronic power steering so it doesn't have this hose issue.

Wyvern813

Mercedes U.K. has finally got around to issuing a safety recall hose for “inspection and replacement”. Took a while to get here!

Svetlonio

I just found this thread and I'm so glad I did... my hose was holding on by maybe a quarter inch.

What is the significance of the smooth clamps? I put on a "corrugated" one because that's what I had on hand, similar style to the one shown in the van compass kit above. Do I need to replace it?

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Recently saw another one of these failing hoses on a 906 exhibiting the exact same failure as the four that have gone on mine: the flexible section bleeding out from near the top where the very tightly squeezed crimp ring holding the restrictor in place bites into the hose.

As per the last one I reworked / as referenced above, the original hose was refurbished by a local hydraulics firm with an upgraded hose / 50mm increase in length, swaged onto the hard line at very reasonable cost.

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
I just found this thread and I'm so glad I did... my hose was holding on by maybe a quarter inch.

What is the significance of the smooth clamps? I put on a "corrugated" one because that's what I had on hand, similar style to the one shown in the van compass kit above. Do I need to replace it?
The fuel injection style clamps are easier/gentler on the hose than the worm drive clamps. Clamping is also more evenly distributed.
Downside is that the FI clamps require that you pull the hose off, install clamp and reassemble. But that really isn't a downside.
You can pick up the appropriate size FI clamp at any auto supply store.

Top Bottom