Safety - Hydraulic Power Steering Bottom Hose - Sprinter Forum Recall

ckid

Yes, I also used a hose clamp from West Marine. Pricey $6 stainless clamp but it is smooth bore and much better quality than my first $0.25 Home Depot hose clamp. Slight differences in the positioning of the hoses relative to the radiator on the 4x4s leaves the lower steering hose short. I put a slight bend in the lower rigid portion of the power steering line to create a bit more slack in the line.
How did you bend it? When I was fiddling with mine I could slide the hardline forward in its mount to get the hose closer but it slid back when I let go. I think the hard line was flexing behind the mount and then springing back into place.

gltrimble

How did you bend it? When I was fiddling with mine I could slide the hardline forward in its mount to get the hose closer but it slid back when I let go. I think the hard line was flexing behind the mount and then springing back into place.
I climbed under the van and bent the rigid pipe attached to the opposite end of the hose that keeps slipping off. Not a lot but any extra slack in the hose helps.

ckid

I climbed under the van and bent the rigid pipe attached to the opposite end of the hose that keeps slipping off. Not a lot but any extra slack in the hose helps.
Did you have to disconnect the rubber end of the line to move the whole thing far enough to achieve deformation of the hard line? When I replaced the clamp I tried to bend mine by hand with the rubber end still on the fitting without success.

sgruskin

Did you have to disconnect the rubber end of the line to move the whole thing far enough to achieve deformation of the hard line? When I replaced the clamp I tried to bend mine by hand with the rubber end still on the fitting without success.
I'm a bit adverse to bending hard lines. I installed a West Marine clamp with smooth inner surface, as shown below. Will monitor it to make sure the hose stays put.
PXL_20210116_154658696.jpg

MarkWheeler

When the dealer did the work on mine (removing my 2 fuel hose clamps & adding their worm drive clamp), after the "notice" but just before the recall, they didn't tell me but I could see they bent the hard pipe just a little bit downward. I had thought about doing it myself but didn't want to risk it.

gltrimble

I did not disconnect any power steering hose in order to bend the rigid pipe. I did disconnect the upper hose attachment when I added the West Marine hose clamp. The lower rigid piping is secured to the frame with a few inches extending beyond the attachment point. I bent the last few inches a small amount to change the angle. I recall the upper rigid piping was not as flexible.

Top Bottom