Safety - Hydraulic Power Steering Bottom Hose - Sprinter Forum Recall

lindenengineering

I was discussing this issue with a service writer at the dealer we use for parts supplies . & bounce of service issues, problems & mutual technical observations.
Having moved on to this PAS subject, I got "You know Dennis we reported that issued 5 years ago.
MB have just got around to doing something about it with a hose clamp!
"

I replied "Well from my experiences with factory responses it about right"!
Dennis

Knit

I had the recall done last week. In addition to move the original clamp down the hose, they removed the worm clamp I had put there. Here are pictures of the replaced clamp from the ground looking up and the MB work invoice. In addition to the clamp, they added an elbow pipe to make hose fit better on the barb. 13B47DFE-97B8-45BD-A0C0-3B55D7CA31B8.jpeg5E28BC97-22F9-42A0-A7EA-D8A62F510633.jpeg

... In addition to the clamp, they added an elbow pipe to make hose fit better on the barb. View attachment 165927
Maybe they didn't add a pipe to your power steering system.

Trap Oxidizer refers to an exhaust component.

It appears that they replaced the power steering pump complete? (022443 Disconnect/connect)

Assuming the picture is after the recall work, it is interesting that they didn't install a worm drive clamp on the hose.

:2cents: vic

mve

2019 Crew 4x4 HR
yes the picture you attached shows the same clamp that was there originally as far as I can tell

pygmyowl

Looks like my power steering hose is pulled back aways and wondering if this is normal position. I pulled on it a bit and it seemed tight but tough place to gain access. My nearest dealer is in SLC and not looking forward to 2 1/2 hr drive. I should try the hose clamp but tough place to work.

Attachments

jjmcclure

2020 HR 144 4x4
Looks like my power steering hose is pulled back aways and wondering if this is normal position. I pulled on it a bit and it seemed tight but tough place to gain access. My nearest dealer is in SLC and not looking forward to 2 1/2 hr drive. I should try the hose clamp but tough place to work.
Exactly what mine looks like. Keeps me up at night. Taking it in later this month.FA67FD8D-8E64-4C01-9B96-6D381CCCF98B.jpeg

RockyRaccoon777

2020 144" 4x4
I had the recall done last week. In addition to move the original clamp down the hose, they removed the worm clamp I had put there. Here are pictures of the replaced clamp from the ground looking up and the MB work invoice. In addition to the clamp, they added an elbow pipe to make hose fit better on the barb. View attachment 165927View attachment 165928
Can you please help me understand where the "elbow pipe" that you reference is located?

Here's an MB notice that says "do not use worm style clamps," followed by an MB notice that says to use a worm clamp, and then we have a photo of the actual new clamp that was put on by my dealer, it's a worm clamp as far as I can tell. We'll see if it holds. The worm clamp I had added blew off. Cheers.

Attachments

... The worm clamp I had added blew off. Cheers.
Wow. I would really like to know what is causing this seemingly typical, basic hose connection to be so problematic.

Hose too short?

Incorrect/too large hose diameter for the pipe size?

Too small a bead formed on the pipe? (A bead is supposed to work like a barbed fitting.)

Stiff, heavy wall hose that won't compress?

A combination of the above?

Added:
Until something specific is proven the above questions would have me adding a safety wire.

Last edited:

sanomechanic

Wow. I would really like to know what is causing this seemingly typical, basic hose connection to be so problematic.

Hose to short?

Incorrect/too large hose diameter for the pipe size?

Too small a bead formed on the pipe? (A bead is supposed to work like a barbed fitting.)

Stiff, heavy wall hose that won't compress?

A combination of the above?

Stiff, heavy wall hose that won't compress? That outer shell does not allow the spring clamp to bite down

mve

2019 Crew 4x4 HR
Here's an MB notice that says "do not use worm style clamps," followed by an MB notice that says to use a worm clamp, and then we have a photo of the actual new clamp that was put on by my dealer, it's a worm clamp as far as I can tell. We'll see if it holds. The worm clamp I had added blew off. Cheers.
Are we 100% positive those first two notices are from MB and not forum members bouncing ideas earlier? I never got clarity on that.

Are we 100% positive those first two notices are from MB and not forum members bouncing ideas earlier? I never got clarity on that.
I have no proof either way. Based on what I went through w/ the dealer, it seems about right. Dealer had initially told me MB said nothing, then they said later that MB had put out an informal advisory, then later they gave me this info:
CHECKED LI DOCUMENTS AND FOUND: LI46.00-N-069137
AS PER LI DOCUMENT NEED TO INSTALL NEW CLAMP AND MAKE SURE LINE IS ALL THE WAY ON. NEEDS CLAMP N000000000665.
Then a little bit later the recall happened.

RockyRaccoon777

2020 144" 4x4
I went in for the recall yesterday and they used the same spring clamp and the lower hose is still a good ~1/8" from being all the way flush. I marked the current location of mine w/ a sharpie so I can assess whether it's moving.

As I don't trust the fix / hose position I'll probably add tie wrap based retention or safety wire today - and then monitor the hose for movement.

MT170

2018 2500 LWB 4x4
I have a 2018 4x4 model that was showing the same problem. I replaced the MB spring clamp with two hose clamps side by side like in the photo from MarkWheeler. The hose clamps were from West Marine and are narrow enough to fit two side by side. That was 18 months and 15 thousand miles ago and I have not seen any movement at all since.

rollerbearing

At least on my unit, I am still convinced the hose is too short. Very little side slack in the hose. Kind of like timing chain wear - a tiny change in length gives greatly magnified side slack. Conversely very little side slack tells me there is no extra length in that hose run. I really had to work to get it pulled and pushed back onto the tube stub.

All that being said - it hasn't backed off since placing a fuel injector style clamp on it. But I do wonder if tension on the hose may eventually cause a flex failure at the crimped fitting on the other end.

Last edited:

sanomechanic

At least on my unit, I am still convinced the hose is too short. Very little side slack in the hose. Kind of like timing chain wear - a tiny change in length gives greatly magnified side slack. Conversely very little side slack tells me there is no extra length in that hose run. I really had to work to get it pulled and pushed back onto the tube stub.

All that being said - it hasn't backed off since placing a fuel injector style clamp on it. But I do wonder if tension on the hose may eventually cause a flex failure at the crimped fitting on the other end.
The difficulty in pulling the hose back by hand should be a good indicator that the excessive PS pump fluid pressure is causing the hose to push back and/or blow off. The spring clamp does not apply enough tension over the hard shelled hose to hold it on the pipe and past the flange.
There is no movement or stretching of hose so the length is plenty sufficient if it fits from point A to point B.

gltrimble

2017 170 4x4
I have a 2018 4x4 model that was showing the same problem. I replaced the MB spring clamp with two hose clamps side by side like in the photo from MarkWheeler. The hose clamps were from West Marine and are narrow enough to fit two side by side. That was 18 months and 15 thousand miles ago and I have not seen any movement at all since.
Yes, I also used a hose clamp from West Marine. Pricey $6 stainless clamp but it is smooth bore and much better quality than my first $0.25 Home Depot hose clamp. Slight differences in the positioning of the hoses relative to the radiator on the 4x4s leaves the lower steering hose short. I put a slight bend in the lower rigid portion of the power steering line to create a bit more slack in the line.

• Thanks
Reactions: JIB

Top Bottom