Safety - Hydraulic Power Steering Bottom Hose - Sprinter Forum Recall

Osidesurfa

Thats what I thought as well, but mine is the V6 Diesel engine. I wonder if there is a way to lookup what PS option I have from the VIN or from MB? Any ideas?

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
I have the 6 cylinder engine on my 2019, and it looks electric as well.
I would expect that information would be listed on your VIN specific Datacard aka Factory Build Sheet.

vic

Batt 57

Mine failed today. And that was AFTER one of the clamps was replaced my MB before I purchased it. I couldn’t see which one is is leaking or came off. The one that was clamped is still intact. B46AEFB3-5229-4A89-9B5C-5C2A7CF8455D.jpeg

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
Mine failed today. And that was AFTER one of the clamps was replaced my MB before I purchased it. I couldn’t see which one is is leaking or came off. The one that was clamped is still intact.
Safety wire is used in many marine (boat) and aircraft applications.

... If I had a 4x4 I'd be adding a safety wire of some type to assure keeping even the screw type clamp in place. I might even do that with a Sprinter that doesn't off road. It's an easy insurance. If the hose pops off at the wrong time it could get ugly quickly.

:2cents: vic
Adding safety wire for this situation will take some thought because it is not designed for it.

Some DIY input from another application is here.

2nd picture. Post #1.

It doesn't take much to stabilize the clamp.

ckid

Just got the official safety recall notice letter today from MBAG. NHTSA Recall #20V663. The fix is a new clamp. Cheap asses. How about a line that is the correct length.

mve

2019 Crew 4x4
I am not in a position to get to a dealer right now so I need to change the clamp myself JIC.

Can someone who's done it, share the best way to get the old clamp off of the line? Reason I want to do this is because the new clamp I have is fairly wide and can't fit with the old in-place.

Do I just pull the line off completely or cut off the clamp in someway? What about the air getting inside the line if I have to take it off - what's the procedure to purge it later?

Thank you.

sanomechanic

I am not in a position to get to a dealer right now so I need to change the clamp myself JIC.

Can someone who's done it, share the best way to get the old clamp off of the line? Reason I want to do this is because the new clamp I have is fairly wide and can't fit with the old in-place.

Do I just pull the line off completely or cut off the clamp in someway? What about the air getting inside the line if I have to take it off - what's the procedure to purge it later?

Thank you.
Slide spring clamp back then install worm clamp in front of it

sanomechanic

Thank you.
Be sure to slide hose back forward to proper position

• Thanks
Reactions: mve

jjmcclure

2020 HR 144 4x4
If the hose isn't too short, that helps to explain it.

Normally a spring clamped hose is kept from blowing off by using the beaded tubing end as they did. Actually any hose needs a beaded end, or without a bead a safety wire of some sort.

If I had a 4x4 I'd be adding a safety wire of some type to assure keeping even the screw type clamp in place. I might even do that with a Sprinter that doesn't off road. It's an easy insurance. If the hose pops off at the wrong time it could get ugly quickly.

Good idea with the safety wire. How would you set that up?

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
Good idea with the safety wire. How would you set that up?
From another thread. I use solid ss or monel wire because I have that on hand for mooring chain shackles, etc.

The clamp around the tube is to create an anchor point for a safety wire to hold the other clamp from sliding away.

A 2nd hose clamp is an easy way to create an anchor point. The safety wire could just as easily be tightly wrapped around the tubing and then wrapped around the existing hose clamp. That wire wrap anchor point will work very well with the NCV3 PS tube which has the factory bead.

I used a safety wire for my transmission hose connection. That hose was installed on a rusted cut off smooth tubing that didn't have a bead or hose barb. Without a safety wire eventually the pressure inside would push my hose off the smooth tubing. 2+ years on that repair and all is well.

A poor focus picture is here.
View attachment 119453

Note that without a bead to keep the wire in place I used the 90 degree angle of the tubing to have a wire wrap guaranteed to not slip.

A poorly executed diagram of the wire wrap method.
View attachment 119454

The transmission hose repair thread is here.

Transmission Line / Hose Emergency Repair
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55553
:cheers: vic
An alternative would be to use 3 black cable ties. The first cable tie would be positioned aligned with the hose/pipe. The other cable ties would be tightened around the hose and pipe to trap the first cable tie. Position the cable tie on the pipe to be against the pipe bead/stop. Position the cable tie on the hose against the hose clamp. Once trapped by the other two cable ties the first cable tie would be snugged up to tension the assembly.

As I have said, there isn't much force exerted to push/slide the hose off the pipe. It doesn't take much of a "safety wire" to stabilize things. Cable ties will be fine. Typically black cable ties are more durable vs other colors, especially vs white nylon.

vic

Top Bottom