Safety - Hydraulic Power Steering Bottom Hose - Sprinter Forum Recall

Rally1

My van went in for this recall prior to me picking it up from the upfitter. I checked today just to be sure, they seem to have worm clamped the top hose, but not the bottom. You can even see the QA/inspection paint now has a gap.
Off to West Marine.
Mercedes of Long Beach service at it’s finest (they are terrible).

Attachments

Rally1

I got the smallest smooth clamp at West Marine $6.49, a cheap set of hose clamp plier off Amazon $12 and set to replacing the clamp. Obviously it's not hard, but it was a little fiddly. I found it easiest to do the work from under the van (after it had cooled down a little), if I had taken off the airbox intake it might have been as easy from the top. I was hoping to have both the existing clamp and the new one on there, but it wouldn't fit.

Result attached, much better.IMG_2499.jpeg

knobVANture

So mine just popped off today going through the Lipponott Pass in Death Valley of all places right???
Yes van was brought in previously but they never performed the recall because it wasn't leaking.

Attachments

A reminder. Not that anyone asked...

For a conventional power steering system Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF is a proper choice for light hydraulic fluid refill. The T1N Operator Manuals specifically mention ATF for the power steering fluid along with the proper MB spec.

2004ManualOilSpec01.jpg

2006ManualOilSpec01.jpg

vic

Happen to have this same info for NCV3 and VS30’s?
Nope. The Sprinter basic hydraulic steering systems haven't changed. They all use light hydraulic oil.

You can research it. Many of the various year Mercedes operating manuals are available on the official MB website. Newer models will be there.

vic

I was curious. I searched for the NCV3 2008 power steering information. I didn't bother with VS30.

ATF+4 is included in the 2008 Operator Manual as acceptable power steering fluid.

NCV32008operatingManual.jpg

My personal opinion is that for power steering light hydraulic fluid either ATF+4 or ATFIII aka MB236.10 or .12 or .14 spec fluid is fine. It's not like the difference between ATF+4 and ATFIII properties is critical for a simple power steering fluid system.

As an aside.
The VS30 Sprinter 2.0L M274 L4 turbo gasoline engine specifies only MB229.5 spec oil as being officially approved.

From the above information.

Back in 2008 Mercedes approved MB229.31, MB229.3, MB229.51, MB229.5 spec engine oil for the M272 gasoline engine offered in Sprinters. Mercedes must have some reason for no longer recommending the newer formulation MB229.31 and MB229.51 spec oils for engines which don't have a DPF. Maybe the simple answer is that the original MB229.5 additives are still good for an engine, but just not good for a DPF. If your engine doesn't have a DPF then it doesn't benefit from the newer formulations.

But back to the Power Steering topic.

vic

PWROBSON

I know this is an older thread, another suggestion is to install an in-line filter into hose to lengthen, and catch some contaminants.
Mine is a 2019 3500.

PWROBSON

I just went thru this, got a copy of recall campaign that shows details well (only cover shown). Bottom line, my 2019 3500 3L diesel does not have a PS reservoir , but I believe I’m seeing the pump right below where the reservoir would be. (See pic)

I went to service dealer, the Tech mgr agreed and said he “believes” I have an Electronic Assist PS system. When I research, even on this forum, I only find “ELECTRIC POWER STEERING” systems. Anyone know about “Electronic Assist PS”?? I’m quite confident I don’t have electric PS.

Attachments

This forum is great! Thanks to this thread, I went to my van and looked at the power steering hoses. And I also happen to be on a road trip near Bend Oregon. See attached photo. Looks like I caught it in time. WHY HASN'T MERCEDES ADDRESSED THIS!!!!! Again, thanks to you all and the forum, a possible unpleasant event has been prevented. (2019, 144, Airstream Conversion)
From picture it appears that there is another seal ring above the clamp and exposed ring below - can’t tell on rear hose

Eric B

2019-2022 3L V6 Diesel w 4WD = hydraulic power steering
V6 2WD & 4 cyl 2WD & AWD = electronic power steering

Last edited:

Top Bottom