Safety - Hydraulic Power Steering Bottom Hose - Sprinter Forum Recall

Eric B

This was a thing with NCV3 already and is still the case with VS30 - the bottom power steering hose is too short and will come off ... let’s not wait for MBZ to get on the ball ... they didn’t for the previous gen, why would they do it for VS30? ... recommend the bottom one be replaced with a new one at least an inch or two longer ... Once it isn’t taught between the two hard lines then the factory clamps should be amply sufficient ...

FYI

Added:

Mean-in-green has additional information about his NCV3 PS hose. :thumbup:

NCV3 / 906 low pressure steering hose - up to the job?

Last edited by a moderator:

Eric B

UPDATE

confirmed bottom hose is unfortunately swaged to hardline on steering rack side... so you have to add a brass splice and extra hose for it not to be taut - would have been cleaner to replace whole hose but oh well ...

I added 2” of 3/8” hose and am good to go now
You don’t need more - easy fix

pics here in post #24

This forum is great! Thanks to this thread, I went to my van and looked at the power steering hoses. And I also happen to be on a road trip near Bend Oregon. See attached photo. Looks like I caught it in time. WHY HASN'T MERCEDES ADDRESSED THIS!!!!! Again, thanks to you all and the forum, a possible unpleasant event has been prevented. (2019, 144, Airstream Conversion)

Attachments

First.
Thanks to Eric B for the information and the idea for the Stickies. :thumbup:

UPDATE

I added 2” of 3/8” hose and am good to go now
You don’t need more - easy fix

Be certain to use the proper hose designed for a Power Steering pressure system.

Harbor Freight sells a 3/8" hose repair kit that is less expensive than buying a brass hose joiner. It comes with hose clamps, but they are probably not all ss material. (If the clamps are greased after install they will last a long time.)

MERLIN
3/8 In. Professional Air Hose Repair Kit, 5 Pc.

Don't trust Harbor Freight quality?

Search 3/8" brass hose joiner.

vic

65C02

Has anyone actually seen this hose factory installed all the way up to the bead? I looked under a new one, as well as mine, they are all exactly the same. Mine's been that way since I got it. With that said, I'm leaving my hose where it is ( I want to keep the slack) To be safe, I'll sister up the spring clamp with a SS ear clamp.

nerd

Has anyone actually seen this hose factory installed all the way up to the bead? I looked under a new one, as well as mine, they are all exactly the same. Mine's been that way since I got it. With that said, I'm leaving my hose where it is ( I want to keep the slack) To be safe, I'll sister up the spring clamp with a SS ear clamp.
This is what Im doing as well. I ordered some nice rolled edge clamps from mccmaster... Hope its full addressed by MB soon.

Has anyone actually seen this hose factory installed all the way up to the bead?
Another question would be "Does it come from the factory installed up to the bead, but then because the hose is too short, the hose end pulls back during subsequent actual service use?

:2cents: vic

D

Deleted member 50714

My 2015 was similar. Hasn't moved since being repositioned. Better clamps wouldn't hurt.

Hey Vic @Aqua Puttana i used 3/8” fuel line
If it’s good enough for fuel I figure it’s good enough for PS ... Agree/disagree ?
I'm not sure.
Regular fuel line = No.
Fuel injection hose might be ok.

It should be researched.

Added:

Specialty Hoses
Power steering pressure hoses have to withstand seriously high pressures, and require crimped fittings. ...

Given the hose connection and clamps used on the "short" hose, it doesn't appear to be extremely high pressure.

I did read where fuel hose doesn't necessarily hold up to some oils.

vic

Last edited:

sanomechanic

I'm not sure.
Regular fuel line = No.
Fuel injection hose might be ok.

It should be researched.

Added:

Specialty Hoses
Power steering pressure hoses have to withstand seriously high pressures, and require crimped fittings. ...

Given the hose connection and clamps used on the "short" hose, it doesn't appear to be extremely high pressure.

I did read where fuel hose doesn't necessarily hold up to some oils.

vic
Only hose designed to handle PS and AT Oil will work. All other will turn to jelly

Eric B

Local PepBoys only had fuel line the other day
Ordered up some Gates/Edelmann 3/8" ID PS hose from Amazon, will swap it out tomorrow
Probably won't drive the van today so I should be good

FWIW, the lower factory hose (ie the one where I added the splice) has a textured finish to it - "cloth wrapped" for lack of a better word.
But the upper factory hose which goes to the reservoir looks like a conventional rubber hose

Factory used a worm clamp on reservoir side of upper hose
And spring clamps on upper and lower factory hoses to the the thin finned radiator tube that goes across the front end
Not sure how "high pressure" those spring clamps are rated at ....

I understand how a non oil resistant rubber will fall apart over time...
But aren't most/all fuel line rubbers also resistant to oil ?
I thought coolant lines are the only ones that shouldn't be mixed with fuel and oil ...

Last edited:

For the short term you'll be fine. The chemical interactions take time.

I understand how a non oil resistant rubber will fall apart over time...
But aren't most/all fuel line rubbers also resistant to oil ?
I thought coolant lines are the only ones that shouldn't be mixed with fuel and oil ...
Not all oils and petroleum based fluids are created equal. The cut from the distillation, final chemistry, additives, etc. change things. (I added etc because I really don't know the details.

BITOG is usually a good source for information.

"[Fuel hose is ok.] NO its not true.Fuel hose regardless of FI or just vanilla degrades when subjected to high percent of oil.Some of the older plain jane stuff even degrades with alcohol fuels. ATF and PS hose is oil resistant and can be used safely for the PS return.ATF marked hose usually have a higher pressure rating because some cars use them on the pressure and return side of the transmission. The pressure side of the PS must use special very high pressure hose with fittings. "

vic

AR74

Where are the power steering hoses located ? I’m guessing on the drivers side but I must be overlooking them .

Top Bottom