Wheel speed sensor wiring connections

Hellshalfacre

2005, 2500
I'm going to be doing the right rear wheel speed sensor on a friend's van and was wondering where most make their wiring connections. Also, service manual calls for direct wire-to-wire connection with shrink tube. I'd rather use shrinkable butt connectors but not sure if this would throw off the sensor reading. Has anyone had success with this? Thanks in advance for the info.

marklg

These things are very expensive but great:

I found them surplus for way less than that. They are used in aviation to connect small wires. A heat gun melts the solder ring to connect the wires, shrinks the sleeve, and melts the sealant on the ends.

I would not think there would be any problem with heat shrink butt connectors if you crimp and heat seal correctly. Unfortunately, poor crimpers can result in connections that come apart.

Regards,

Mark

In my opinion the critical piece of the job will be sealing the outer sheath so no weather gets in. I spliced my 2004 wheel speed sensor during a bearing replacement because the sensor was hopelessly corroded in place. I used Burndy crimp butt connectors. Before assembly I dipped the stripped wire ends in a bit of Vaseline. I then made absolutely certain that the outer sheath joint was sealed. It's been fine since the repair in 2013. I seem to recall that the wires are color coded, but there is no reason to worry about polarity.

:2cents: vic

Top Bottom