Folding mirrors on engine start ?

SteadiCrew144

Hi all,
2019 144 sprinter owner , I have the electric folding mirrors and wanted to know if there is any way to have them fold/unfold with the engine start/stop ? The button on the door seems to be the only way to do this and I find it strange not to have that option. My 2012 Volkswagen Touareg has the option , it's so simple it's a mystery for me that MB would not implement this .
Is there anyway we can enable that ? Thanks !

lickwid

Learner
I can check mine, but I thought it just opens and closes when you arm/disarm the vehicle. All my other vehicles that have it, it's based on that, not the engine start/stop.

SteadiCrew144

I can check mine, but I thought it just opens and closes when you arm/disarm the vehicle. All my other vehicles that have it, it's based on that, not the engine start/stop.
Well, they do fold when I arm the vehicule and unfold only when I start the engine on my VW . but none of that seems to exist on the Sprinter. It really just uses the mirror button as I understand.

Kanga

It’s a bummer that I cannot order a 4500 with electric folding mirrors.
May I can somehow add it after market..??

lickwid

Learner
Well, they do fold when I arm the vehicule and unfold only when I start the engine on my VW . but none of that seems to exist on the Sprinter. It really just uses the mirror button as I understand.
You're right. Looks like it only works manually with the button. There might be a way to do it via coding, but MB isn't simple like BMW so not sure.

shutternaut

In NYC, it's common for large truck drivers to reach out and pull sprinter mirrors closed to get by. This of course will damage the new electric folding mirrors. I'm trying to get folding the mirrors into my muscle memory every time I park, but I still forget. Automatic folding is the first question I asked the dealer as soon as I saw that they were electric, and I was taken aback to learn that it's not possible. It's really an oversight that they neglected to make them fold automatically when the van is turned off.

Rocksnsalt

There Can Be Only ONE
In NYC, it's common for large truck drivers to reach out and pull sprinter mirrors closed to get by. This of course will damage the new electric folding mirrors. I'm trying to get folding the mirrors into my muscle memory every time I park, but I still forget. Automatic folding is the first question I asked the dealer as soon as I saw that they were electric, and I was taken aback to learn that it's not possible. It's really an oversight that they neglected to make them fold automatically when the van is turned off.
I can only speak for myself but I like to see what’s coming my way before opening the door and getting out of the van...
Not that hard to push a button.? ??‍♂

shutternaut

I can only speak for myself but I like to see what’s coming my way before opening the door and getting out of the van...
Not that hard to push a button.? ??‍♂
It's not hard to push the button, but it is hard (for me) to remember to push the button. Hopefully I'll learn before someone breaks my mirrors off.

I agree that it's better to have the mirrors out when opening the door. Perhaps they could have made an mirror auto-close feature that happens at the same time the radio shutoff happens- When the door opens.

GLJones

Maybe one of the after-market folks can come up with a ODBC controller that will do it automatically? My MINI has a 'sport' button that you must activate every time you start the engine. Someone came up with a tiny module you plug into the port and it activates Sport automatically and can be programmed to push other settings like turning off ABS.

red_johnny

Sorry to bring this back up but I drove a 2019 that the mirrors would fold after you hit the lock button on the remote. My 2020 wont fold in unless I hit the button at the door. Seems like a wasted feature if it does not do it automatically. I tried to find a setting in the radio and in the dash but could not locate one. When I get some time I am going to dig into the owners manual and see if I can find something. Has to be a way to do it.

chipsterguy

I will give this a bump... I too would like to find a way to have the mirrors fold upon lock/unlock like my other German and Japanese vehicles do!

430 hp 70

'19 144 Gas Passenger - Carlsbad
My 2019 doesn't do this. Button must be pushed.

A separate gripe...... Each key should be assigned to a seperate memory seat setting and mbux user profile. Hit the unlock and settings are loaded. The memory settings should also remember both the seat AND mirror settings. My 2011 yukon did this. Again, it seems like simple programming.

Last edited:

joyryde

NomadicSupply.com
Hi all,
2019 144 sprinter owner , I have the electric folding mirrors and wanted to know if there is any way to have them fold/unfold with the engine start/stop ? The button on the door seems to be the only way to do this and I find it strange not to have that option. My 2012 Volkswagen Touareg has the option , it's so simple it's a mystery for me that MB would not implement this .
Is there anyway we can enable that ? Thanks !

Afunkymonk

There is also the Kufatec version from Germany which is significantly cheaper:

jasonconroy

2023 170" AWD DIY Adventure mobile
Thanks for posting the Kufatec dongle which is indeed cheaper but I still think all of these reprogramming dongles are way overpriced. I would love an ODBC reader/writer with the ability make all of these changes (and keeping the 360 cam working over 10mph) reasonably priced.

FrankS

despite how popular the Sprinter is, it is a relatively small market (and Amazon and Fedex are not buying any of these dongles). And it takes quite some knowledge to figure out all these programming changes and then bake them into a dongle, to be executed in the right sequence, provide support, warranty, maybe even liability. of course they seem overpriced if you think all they do is flipping a few bits but considering all it takes to get there, I think the price it right.
A "free" option is readily available, DTS Monaco. you still need the "know how".

Holmeslice

2020 VS30 144" High Crew
Ordered the Kufatec dongle, it came in a few days, plugged it in, and in 30 seconds I had auto folding mirrors. It’s incredible what a simple tweak can do to quality of life. I’m very happy and strongly recommend this.

I’m completely surprised Mercedes doesn’t have his as a standard feature.

Top Bottom