2015 Sprinter 316 4x4 Crewcab - Transfer Box upgrade?

NRS91

Hi guys,
We have a 2015 Sprinter 316 manual 4x4 Crewcab here in the UK which we use on our land and for moving classic cars (beavertail rear body).
The Sprinter is awesome, I followed classic cars around Europe for 4,500 miles in it as a support vehicle and it was brilliant in this role.

Our issue is it is often hitched up to trailers and moving them on and off wet grass. This really highlights the weakness of the MB 4matic 4x4 system on the sprinter.
Our farm is mainly a caravan site these days so we want to keep the grass as presentable as possible and avoid wheelspin but the 35/65 torque split open diff makes this almost impossible, and it is like having a RWD van despite battling the ridiculous control system to get 4x4 to engage.

Is there a transfer box in the Mercedes family that will bolt to our 6 speed manual transmission and give "old school" 4x2/4x4 operation (hopefully with the factory dash controls to keep the van happy)?
Bonus points if there is one with a lower ratio low range!

IMG_20190925_104634.jpg

w_raven

hi. If I understand correctly, you are interested in the transfer case? And what can you replace the native Mercedes box with? I'm new here. I'm currently building a car for myself. I will use a transfer case from Crafter 4motion. I know how to adapt this transfer case to a Sprinter. ))) The cost of such a transfer case is about $ 1500. Constant full drive. Low gear. Differential lock.

Attachments

NRS91

hi. If I understand correctly, you are interested in the transfer case? And what can you replace the native Mercedes box with? I'm new here. I'm currently building a car for myself. I will use a transfer case from Crafter 4motion. I know how to adapt this transfer case to a Sprinter. ))) The cost of such a transfer case is about $ 1500. Constant full drive. Low gear. Differential lock.
Interesting, do you know the model number of the Crafter 4Motion transferbox?

I would love to be able to swap our native "2WD/AWD" TBox to a proper 4x2/4x4 or AWD/4x4(diff lock) transfer box from the same Mercedes family to improve the wet field performance!

w_raven

Interesting, do you know the model number of the Crafter 4Motion transferbox?

I would love to be able to swap our native "2WD/AWD" TBox to a proper 4x2/4x4 or AWD/4x4(diff lock) transfer box from the same Mercedes family to improve the wet field performance!
Yes, of course I know.
Transfer case number from VW Crafter 2E0341010
But don't rush to buy. It is very expensive at VW. This is actually a transfer case from Land Cruiser 105. You can also use the transfer case from Land Cruiser 80. Achleitner buys these transfer cases from Asin. They make a minimum of adaptations and put them on their cars. Achleitner is also a manufacturer of suspension systems for VW Crafter cars from the production date 2006 to the present.
My company is currently preparing a complete suspension installation kit with all bolts and brackets for the conversion of the MB Sprinter and VW Crafter, starting from the production date from 2006 to the present, from formula 4x2 to formula 4x4. Everything will be bolted to the body in the regular places. Without the use of welding.

NRS91

Yes, of course I know.
Transfer case number from VW Crafter 2E0341010
But don't rush to buy. It is very expensive at VW. This is actually a transfer case from Land Cruiser 105. You can also use the transfer case from Land Cruiser 80. Achleitner buys these transfer cases from Asin. They make a minimum of adaptations and put them on their cars. Achleitner is also a manufacturer of suspension systems for VW Crafter cars from the production date 2006 to the present.
My company is currently preparing a complete suspension installation kit with all bolts and brackets for the conversion of the MB Sprinter and VW Crafter, starting from the production date from 2006 to the present, from formula 4x2 to formula 4x4. Everything will be bolted to the body in the regular places. Without the use of welding.
Ideally i'd be looking for a Mercedes transfer box with the same electronic actuators as our current transfer box to make it as "plug and play" as possible... don't want to have the electronics throwing a fit!

w_raven

Ideally i'd be looking for a Mercedes transfer box with the same electronic actuators as our current transfer box to make it as "plug and play" as possible... don't want to have the electronics throwing a fit!
There is almost no electronics on The asin transfer case. Two sensors and a motor for turning on the lock. The lowered row is activated by the handle. The lock is activated by a button. Reliable and practical.

NRS91

There is almost no electronics on The asin transfer case. Two sensors and a motor for turning on the lock. The lowered row is activated by the handle. The lock is activated by a button. Reliable and practical.
The Mercedes 4x4 sprinter runs the 4wd and low range by electronic actuators and dash push buttons, any replacement would have to be using the same system to keep the computers happy... Id like to stay away from conversions and keep to the same family.

w_raven

The Mercedes 4x4 sprinter runs the 4wd and low range by electronic actuators and dash push buttons, any replacement would have to be using the same system to keep the computers happy... Id like to stay away from conversions and keep to the same family.
In General, your position is correct. The standard all-wheel drive system on the Mercedes Sprinter differs from the WV Crafter and from the Achleitner. ?

NRS91

Dumb question... Are you disabling ESP?
when using it in is current form? no just dropping it in "4wd"

traction control really tries to fight you...very disappointed in the 35/65 split AWD system to be honest... not at all useful on grassland you are trying not to damage.

Eric Experience

NRS.
It is easy to assume that the electronic traction control is working against you because there is no dramatic wheel spinning going on, but in actual fact the traction control works very well, you could spend a lot of time and money only to create an inferior vehicle, I have many vehicles on my farm and the best climbers with the least grass damage are the modern Sprinters. A locked drive makes a huge mess and does not pull any harder if there is a slight turn involved. If a visitor gets stuck on the grass I pull them out with an ML270, pulls harder than a Fergy tractor without the mess. Eric.

w_raven

Dumb question... Are you disabling ESP?
No. ESP works. The ESP system is disabled when the center lock in the transfer case is activated. The sequence of enabling locks is as follows. First, it enables a locking center transfer case, and then lock in the rear axle and then you can turn lock in front axle. After the locks are disabled, the ESP system works Again...

NRS91

NRS.
It is easy to assume that the electronic traction control is working against you because there is no dramatic wheel spinning going on, but in actual fact the traction control works very well, you could spend a lot of time and money only to create an inferior vehicle, I have many vehicles on my farm and the best climbers with the least grass damage are the modern Sprinters. A locked drive makes a huge mess and does not pull any harder if there is a slight turn involved. If a visitor gets stuck on the grass I pull them out with an ML270, pulls harder than a Fergy tractor without the mess. Eric.
When you engage the 2015 sprinter's AWD (35/65 split) set up its still sending most of the power to the rear and with little weight over the back it just spins the back end (when you give it enough power to prevent the traction control stalling it). Plenty of spinning and damage to the grass.

On the flip side my Discovery 2 didnt struggle the same even before I retrofitted the centre diff lock and makes no marks on the grass (even with the Centre Diff Locked). I dare say your ML has a proper transfer box like the Discovery rather than the system in our sprinter.

Wrinkledpants

2017 144WB 4x4
Hello everyone. I haven't written anything for a long time. My Sprinter is completely redesigned. I have already driven 30,000 km. Everything works fine! There is a video

Sprinter+Achleitner

I will be happy to answer the questions.
Wow nice work. So if I'm understanding correctly - this is now permanent AWD with the ability to lock the center diff when in 4-low? Did you custom manufacturer these parts, like the intermediate shaft and mount? Looks like OEM quality in the video.

w_raven

Вау, хорошая работа. Итак, если я правильно понимаю - теперь это постоянный привод с возможностью блокировки центрального дифференциала при 4-низком уровне? Вы изготовили эти детали на заказ, например, промежуточный вал и крепление? Похоже на качество OEM на видео.
Yes, that's right. Permanent all-wheel drive. Like a Land Cruiser 100 (Lexus LX470). There are three locks. In the transfer case, on the rear axle and on the front axle. Locks are activated sequentially. Transfer case, then the rear axle and only then the front axle. the lo transmission can be switched on at any time. The intermediate shaft was made to order. All these spare parts can be bought officially, I have all the order numbers. There is a large document in Russian how it all works. If necessary, I can send it.

1674800184832.png

Top Bottom