Automatic step on side door 2015 CSA

LPEREZDANCER

Hello good people!

Does anyone know how the sensor for the sliding side door step works? More specifically, how to adjust it? Mine will occasionally activate while driving. I can hear it go out and come back in and I figure the sensor needs adjusting.

Thank you for your help
LP

Borch

Borch
I believe it is a "Hall effect" sensor in the rear side of the door. If you remove the sliding door panel you can access the latch mechanism the rear of the door. I do not know how to adjust if there is any adjustment. However, you might check the power step module that is mounted under the van near the step. This unit has an input from the the door hall effect switch as well from ignition switch and door operate bypass switch. You can attach a meter to the inputs and monitor the voltage while operating the door. You may just have a wire connection problem at the module, since they used spade lugs to connect the wires. The wires and module are exposed to all the road debris poorly mounted and protected under the van.

Here is a link to the unit. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LLE5WK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope this helps..... Burl

LPEREZDANCER

thank you! I'll look into that but I suspect that is for a different step design. My 2015 Roadtrek is just a Mercedes Sprinter van where Roadtrek made a slide-out step which works with the sliding side door of the van

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
Not sure what sort of adjustments there are in the step, but it sounds as though the problem lies with the sliding door's ability to determine if it's closed or not. With door closed and van running, can you yank on the door (without actually opening it) and duplicate the problem -- is there any looseness in the door latching mechanism?

I believe the step is most likely tied in with the sliding door's control module; as soon as door reads OPEN, the step activates. Perhaps that's activating inadvertently while on the road due to some slop in the sliding door's latching mechanism-- my best guess.

LPEREZDANCER

thank you all very much!
it was the sensor which had shrunk away from good contact. A piece of magnetic tape 1/8 inch thick solved the problem

LPEREZDANCER

it's a little round black disc the size of a nickel down at the bottom of the door and the B-pillar. Sorry I do not have a pic

irvingj

2015 RT SS Agile (3.0L)
Great description, thanks! I see it. Good to know what trips that trigger (I didn't)....

So where did you end up putting the magnetic tape, on the B-pillar or the door itself?

DSC08913.jpgDSC08915.jpg

craig.evans

My step was acting while driving and it made me crazy. I finally got under the van to look for a bad wire. All looked good but one of the two rivets that hold the power module onto the step frame had broken. That allowed the module to vibrate easily at road speed. I re-rivetted and it seems to have worked!

Top Bottom