If I remove my TV Antenna, what is the best way to weather proof my roof and cosmetically cover the hole inside?

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
OK, Thanks for all the great info on my rooftop antenna query. I've decided to remove it to make room for solar panels. Any thoughts on how to weather proof my roof and also cosmetically make the spot on the headliner where the crank handle lives now look finished?

Brian in Austin

Skippy and Emu

I assume the roof repair will be eventually covered by a shiny new solar panel. So, the repair does not have to be " like new ". Perhaps, just unobtrusive, water tight and rust free.
In that case, I would suggest, perhaps a circular aluminium plate. The 2 surfaces must be painted ( the roof and the aluminium plate ) at least on the 2 sides where they mate. Do not use any fixings, apart from an appropriately rated Sikaflex type of adhesive/ sealant. The two mating surfaces must be kept apart by means of the adheasive. This is to prevent any future galvanic corrosion. Thus, no other metallic fixings are to be employed.
As for the headliner repair ... don't try to hide it. Make a feature out of it. Example, install a led light. Perhaps puck style. A battery one will do, if running cables is not feasible.

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
I assume the roof repair will be eventually covered by a shiny new solar panel. So, the repair does not have to be " like new ". Perhaps, just unobtrusive, water tight and rust free.
In that case, I would suggest, perhaps a circular aluminium plate. The 2 surfaces must be painted ( the roof and the aluminium plate ) at least on the 2 sides where they mate. Do not use any fixings, apart from an appropriately rated Sikaflex type of adhesive/ sealant. The two mating surfaces must be kept apart by means of the adheasive. This is to prevent any future galvanic corrosion. Thus, no other metallic fixings are to be employed.
As for the headliner repair ... don't try to hide it. Make a feature out of it. Example, install a led light. Perhaps puck style. A battery one will do, if running cables is not feasible.
Some good ideas, thanks! Why not use sheet metal instead of aluminum to eliminate the galvanic corrosion issue?

Skippy and Emu

I guess it's a personal preference in my opinion. Aluminium is never going to rust. A small piece should be relatively easy to obtain.
It is very malleable, so if you need to "shape" it to suit the roof profile, you can just bend it by hand. I would cut the patch, probably with tinsnips, into a round shape. ThIs will prevent any corners, from trying to lift in the slipstream. Lastly, undercoat with a non ferrous Etch Primer, then top coat with a quality paint colour of your choice.

FWIW I agree that aluminum is a good metal to use. A trip to a home repair box store may get you some appropriate sized/shape aluminum electrical box covers.

The roof is metal, not EPDM rubber? If it is EPDM then a sealant designed for rubber roofs should be used.

If the solar panels are going to cover the repair I would use good quality adhesive with some mesh for strength as the base cover. That alone will seal and last. The belt and suspenders would be to follow with Eternabond tape or metal patch cover. The sealant or tape can be painted if a color is wanted.

:2cents: vic

Oops. Inside.

Maybe something like this?

They come in various sizes.

A plate like that could work for outside too. They are designed for use on boats.

vic

Added:

For the inside, I would find an appropriately-shaped light fixture.
Good idea. Especially if there is 12 volts there already.

Another cheaper cover. Wall protector for door handles.

:cheers: vic

Top Bottom