T1N - No Interior Door Locks Normal for Cargo Version?

a-nonny-mouse

2005 T1N, Pretty much Bare bones Cargo version, few if any options.

Is it normal to have no locking mechanism inside the van? Just has interior door handles. To lock the front doors and rear door I have to get out and use the key. The sliding door has a lock mechanism but no "opening" mechanism (not possible to open up the slider from inside the van). It doesn't seem that anything is "missing," but it doesn't seem quite normal either? I didn't see any fuses for power locks, etc. and I certainly wasn't given a key fob for it. Now that I've converted it into a passenger / camper van would be nice to lock it from the inside and be able to exit through the side sliding door without having to go out the front doors and then opening the slider from the outside. Any thoughts?

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
My van did not have remote door actuators. No door locking system. I had to use the key. But I do have a latch release for the back door and the slider.
I'm curious how you have a locking mechanism without a release lever. On mine, to lock the doors, you push in on the same lever that you pull out to open. How about a picture.

a-nonny-mouse

Here is a picture... the possibility that it could be "broken" and is supposed to also open the door didn't really occur to me. It gives a very solid "thunk" in both directions (lock and unlock) and works fine as a lock, just didn't think it maybe was also the opening mechanism (since it seemed like all worked fine). Maybe its broken on the inside, never took it apart to look....? Is this also the opener on your van, or does it look different?

IMG_3565.JPG

tbuyan

'04 3500 140" low roof cargo w/dually delete
That's the release lever alright. Common failure is the fitting for the release cable breaks off. That usually results in a limp feel when you pull outward, as in your photo. If yours actually exhibits some resistance when pulled try pushing outward on he rear edge of the door whilst (nod to Dennis) pulling the lever. Might just be stuck.

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
That looks like mine. only mine will not stay out like that unless I'm holding it out.
And you have no door latch on the back door at all?
It sounds like some special deal. Was it a FedEx or something?
There is no alternate door lock mechanism. So maybe you're missing or broken parts.

a-nonny-mouse

It does have a rear lock / latch that also does open the door from inside. I'm guessing the side latch is just broken, so will open it up tomorrow and find out if anything is missing or broken. Will update...

jrod5150

fed ex come equipped with power locks

front doors you push the inside door handle towards the outside of the door to lock it. Someone posted it above but you might have missed it. Same with the slider and rear doors. Push the handle towards the outside of the door.
Your slider handle looks broke to me. Remove the two Philips screws and look at the backside

a-nonny-mouse

Absolutely brilliant! I had no idea you could lock them that way! Sure enough. Wonder how many others have never known that. Thanks for the tip. Seemed crazy to have to get out of the vehicle to lock it. The side door had a bent piece of metal inside (where the handle connects) that needed bent upright and then worked fine. Thanks again.

a-nonny-mouse

Yes I missed it above. Thought ECO was talking about the sliding door when he was talking about the front doors. Seems so basic but unintuitive when I am looking for a separate locking mechanism. :)

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
The “push lever outwards to lock” is a Mercedes secret handshake...

Maybe it’s a German thing? It’s not unlike unlocking the gas fill cover on some VW models of the ‘90s (you do WHAT to the driver’s door lock plunger?!?)

Carry on...

-dave

Nautamaran

2004 140” HRC 2500 (Crewed)
Agreed, they are simple and elegant once you know how to use them, but who wants to reach for the manual to figure out oddball door lock mechanisms (or fuel filler doors)?

-dave

Last edited:
I

Iconmae

Hi Nonny Mouse! Sounds like you are getting your T1N ready for some camping. Those slider handles seem to be a problem. I changed ours on our 2004 (the plastic ”finger” broke) now the key doesn’t want to work and the new handle looks okay so I’m gonna try what Floridavanman did in the video you linked. Thanks so much!

Top Bottom