the giddy up and go, gotty up and went

rm4wolf

I had previously posted about a stalling issue when my 2004 dodge sprinter 2500 got warm. I have replaced every fuel system component except the tank. I also replaced to sensors (cam and crank). after this the sprinter when first starting the morning will down shift and seems to get boost from the turbo. After driving about 5 -10 minutes the van gets to 20-25 ok but then now matter how hard your push the accelerator (all the way to the floor) the van creeps up to speed and above 60 mph it is bettter but still not normal.

rm4wolf

The exhaust is not black. Even when I put the foot to the floor I am not rolling coal. I have an O2 sensor code and a cylinder 5 glow plug last I checked. I really don’t,have a tool that will read the codes. O’ Reilly’s reader which like the one I have gets noth from the MB ODP2 port. I used to have a friend who was chief mechanic for FEDEX...but he is retired now. Yes he is still a friend.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Glow plug would only affect starting. What is the O2 sensor code? Do you have a check engine light?

A generic code reader would do fine if there's a check engine.

lindenengineering

02 can put you in limp. Since you’ve been throwing parts non stop might as well keep going.
Ooowh
We we had one like this only yesterday , low power & O2 faults.
Now to be fair the owner had shot gunned it with a new expensive parts, (lots of them) plus an O2 sensor since it had rubbed through shorting out on the exhaust shield. AND as we know the O2 sensor control wire is on the same communication conduit as the MAF sensor. BUT the bloody thing still couldn't get out of its own way!
A really quick fix & solution to the problem was install a new air filter . (Well blow me down son)
Now at 78,583 miles I bet it was the original owner's modification --Don't change me I am K&N --Bollocks!
Doing a "filter frizby" to the trash can, we cleaned out many years of crap from the air filter & intake hopper installed a genuine MB paper filter and the van ran up I/70 like a revitalized stallion.
Why do people use this K& N crapola?
But then the answer!
In came an F 250 with that worthless 6 litre "head bolt blowing disaster " diesel in it and no power .
Turned out it too had a chocked K& N Banksy filter in it collapsed & choked up.
Now this guy wanted to argue with my female service writer who has a string of ASC's about the expediency of this crap.
After paying for the diag then came her comment.
"Little Men with imaginary large penises should not be be driving pick up trucks ! :devilish: o_O
Dennis

Last edited:

rm4wolf

So to the person who turned me on to the air filter answer I would like very much like to thank you, and point out that I had done all this other stuff and neglected the air filter. However, this got back a lot of performance not all. So let me add a little after that pulls better up to 55'ish still a little sluggish, but better. At 55'ish to 60'ish if I stomp on the gas to change lanes or merge it won't down shift or give more boost. But it is still better. Any further thoughts would be appreciated and I am sure helpful. OBTW, I also cleaned out years of crap from the filter box and the looked to be FRAM filter disintegrated coming out. Hate to admit i let it get that bad. I also cleaned the MAF with approved CRC MAF cleaner. I cleaned it to a paper towel it wasn't as bad as i would have expected under the circumstance.

rm4wolf

I am not sure how to check. The last time I tried to read codes with a generic ODB2 reader it failed miserably. I can tell you I still had the code right after I installed the new O2 sensor. Refer to,top of thread where I used to,have access to a real MB reader. I can make it get some gritty up back by manual shifting

Top Bottom