Confusing Labeling on biodiesel

rmrski

I own a 2019 VS30 Sprinter 3500XD. Mercedes would like you to generally use ULSD all the time but if you are in a Midwest state like Minnesota they only sell biodiesel ranging from 5-20%. Mercedes manual allows bio5% but nothing over that.

My issue is this:

1) Many truck stops like Love’s and TA Petrol label their pumps either ULSD or perhaps or Bio5 or possibly Bio5-20 depending on geographic location. If you are driving through the Midwest how do you determine if you are pumping Bio5 or perhaps pumping Bio20% when the pumps are marked Bio5-20. Why isn’t the labeling clearer so you know exactly what you are buying? You could ruin you engine and your warranty Pumping Bio20. Any thoughts on this?

2) Apps like Gas Buddy identify U.S. Service stations where diesel is sold but the app does not identify the exact type of diesel that a particular station is selling. Why not? It should be a feature.

Am I missing something here?

elemental

Wherever you go, there you are.
I own a 2019 VS30 Sprinter 3500XD. Mercedes would like you to generally use ULSD all the time but if you are in a Midwest state like Minnesota they only sell biodiesel ranging from 5-20%. Mercedes manual allows bio5% but nothing over that.

My issue is this:

1) Many truck stops like Love’s and TA Petrol label their pumps either ULSD or perhaps or Bio5 or possibly Bio5-20 depending on geographic location. If you are driving through the Midwest how do you determine if you are pumping Bio5 or perhaps pumping Bio20% when the pumps are marked Bio5-20. Why isn’t the labeling clearer so you know exactly what you are buying? You could ruin you engine and your warranty Pumping Bio20. Any thoughts on this?
Federal labeling on pumps doesn't require identification of specific content between 5% and 20%; I would assume the worst (others might not). I think the feds assumed that most stations would carry straight diesel (dino) or the biodiesel blended up to 5%, which is what Mercedes seems to have originally assumed as well. All diesel whether dino or a biodiesel blend must be ultra low sulfur.
2) Apps like Gas Buddy identify U.S. Service stations where diesel is sold but the app does not identify the exact type of diesel that a particular station is selling. Why not? It should be a feature.

Am I missing something here?
If enough people ask for it, perhaps the folks who make the free Gas Buddy app will include bio-diesel blend pricing the same way they provide gasoline regular, mid-grade, and premium pricing.

However... according to discussions in other threads like this one (https://sprinter-source.com/forums/index.php?threads/85342/), although federal standards require biodiesel content labeling it apparently can't be relied upon. In some cases even station managers don't know what they are selling.

Davydd

Mercedes Benz still warrant engine, transmission and exhaust system to 5 years and 100,000 miles if you use bio-diesel 5%-20%. True service stations don't have to tell you the exact percent of 5-20% and I seriously doubt anyone has gotten 20% in their tanks and until this year even in notorious Minnesota oil companies never had over 10% as was reported and maybe not more to this day as biofuels have taken a hit. Up to 5% oil companies do not have to label pumps for biofuels. You could be getting up to 5% unknowningly.

I live in Minnesota and using 5-20% hasn't made a problem for me and as I said MB warrants its use. They say they don't like it and they offer caveats in using it but they still allow it and warrant it if you use it. I have 88,000 miles on my current Sprinter. I'm purchasing a new diesel Sprinter and have no qualms.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
As the others have said, your warranty is safe.
If you're just passing through, fill up where it's convenient and then next time (next state) try to find a lower percentage. It will all even out in the end.

The one situation that might cause problems is if you've never run biodiesel, and the increased lubricity "cleans your tank", passing an increased amount of (years of) accumulated goo on into the filter. The "fix" (of course) is to carry along a spare filter in case things clog up.

--dick

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
Just to elaborate on a point Elemental made above:
ULSD and % of bio are two different issues.

ULSD refers only the to sulfur content of the fuel, and it applies whether the fuel is dino or bio. You MUST use ULSD in a modern Sprinter. However, all highway-legal diesel sold in the US is ULSD, so it really isn't an issue.

% bio tells you how much bio fuel is blended into the dino diesel. As stated, below 5% makes no difference and doesn't have to be labeled. But no matter what the percentage, it is all ULSD.

FWIW. What others have said.

The bio diesel is said to deteriorate more quickly than petroleum dino diesel. I would avoid long term storage of an RV with known high(er) percentage bio diesel in the tank.

In my opinion, other than long term storage issues, sporadic bio diesel use is nothing to obsess over.

:2cents: vic

rmrski

Mercedes Benz still warrant engine, transmission and exhaust system to 5 years and 100,000 miles if you use bio-diesel 5%-20%. True service stations don't have to tell you the exact percent of 5-20% and I seriously doubt anyone has gotten 20% in their tanks and until this year even in notorious Minnesota oil companies never had over 10% as was reported and maybe not more to this day as biofuels have taken a hit. Up to 5% oil companies do not have to label pumps for biofuels. You could be getting up to 5% unknowningly.

I live in Minnesota and using 5-20% hasn't made a problem for me and as I said MB warrants its use. They say they don't like it and they offer caveats in using it but they still allow it and warrant it if you use it. I have 88,000 miles on my current Sprinter. I'm purchasing a new diesel Sprinter and have no qualms.
I’ve got 20,000 miles on my Sprinter and to my knowledge have never used bio-easier to do based on the east coast. I guess I’ll keep an extra fuel filter in the van in the event I get to much residue in the filter.

Top Bottom