Loss of power steering - could have killed me

Roaming50

I posted this to https://www.facebook.com/groups/winnebago4x4/ first and then to reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/VanLife/comments/i775z8 but someone reminded me on Sprinter-Source.

Here’s a warning to others. It appears the 2019 VS30 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 has not solved the previous gen’s issues with the power steering hydraulic hose clamp issues. Please check yours!

Yesterday, my power steering failed. No warning, no warning lights on the dash. Just a sudden desire to not want to go round a corner and plow straight on just as I was entering a twisty mountain canyon with precipitous drops. Luckily I was able to hold the line (at the limit of my arm strength) and not run off the road. My wife would not have been able to hold it.

This could have been deadly.

Once I realized I lost power assistance, I was able to turn around and head back home. I'm not sure this is a blessing but I'm so happy it failed right at the start of the canyon and not when there was a 500ft drop beside me.

Anyway, this could have been deadly so I reported this one up to the NHTSA.

DC280855-3D5B-4565-A11D-46C2CDB6E438.JPG

C4210385-468E-400F-B9F8-E92616358128.JPG

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
It's been reported on here MANY times previously!!! In fact the last time was only days ago!

Keith.

It's hard to believe that Mercedes would recommend pulling a van off a tow truck then just sticking the hose back on, refill the system, clean up the mess (hopefully), and send it down the road. I'd be interested to hear what repairs have been done by MB dealers.
It's good to hear that you have faith. Do some research about the rear A/C water leaks and the eventual class action lawsuit against Mother Mercedes. Not to mention the continuing fiasco with the 2004 T1N's and the T21 recall.

Carry on with the topic.

:cheers: vic
Not that anyone asked...
Don't depend upon Mother Mercedes to cure this one [power steering hose issue] for you. It's not a new problem.

2015 NCV3 3500 Winnebago Navion.

Just went out and checked mine. Sure enough, bottom hose looks to be about half-way off and there appears to be very very little slack left in the hose before it is crimped to the hardline connector.

Thanks for the heads up!
There are some DIY suggestions that can help keep the hose in place.

Some discussion and different suggestions commence at Post #45 here.

vic

Last edited:

Eric B

Thanks for the pics and thanks for pushing it up to NHTSA - more people complain the better ...

So there is a recall for this clamp/hose to fix the problem?
:idunno:

You can enter your VIN here.

vic

Added:
sanomechanic said:
Any NTSB recall requires MB or any other manufacturer to send out notices to ALL effected VIN#s. Thats the law.
A Technical Service Bulletin on the other hand MB is very secretive about those.

Good point.

Maybe people are confusing official NTSB recalls with TSB's.

vic

Last edited:

klif01

Is the Mercedes fix for this just a worm gear clamp instead of the spring clamp or do they adjust the hose or male end it connects to as well?

Bighitbud

Quick question, does this hose have fluid? I just checked mine and it is not all the way seated at where it should be, going to pop it off and add another clamp and was wondering before I do that if I need to be conscious of fluid draining.

MT170

2018 2500 LWB 4x4
You will lose some fluid but if you are quick and are prepared, you should be able to do it with minimum loss. Don't try it while the engine is hot. If you live close to a West Marine store, they have some really nice small hose clamps without the slots in them. These are much better. Use the smallest size, about $7 each.

Bighitbud

You will lose some fluid but if you are quick and are prepared, you should be able to do it with minimum loss. Don't try it while the engine is hot. If you live close to a West Marine store, they have some really nice small hose clamps without the slots in them. These are much better. Use the smallest size, about $7 each.
Awesome, thanks! I am about 10 mins from a west marine. Will head there.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
Most brands of worm drive clamp can be unscrewed until they open out then can be refitted around the hose without removing the hose from the spigot.

Keith.

Top Bottom