Help!! Stuck on roadside in Scotland with Electrical problems.

sailquik

Hi Merky sprinter,
So glad you persevered and got your Sprinter back on the road.
You deserve the dip in the ocean and some time off at the beach.
I tried a couple of times to "start a conversation" to send you the OEM Build/Assembly
data card for your Sprinter, but it tells me I am not allowed to start a conversation with you.
I will need to check with the moderator (Vic-Aqua Puttana) and super moderator (Seek) to see why
I cannot send you the data.
Since your VIN # was posted in this thread, I will attach the data card here.
All you ever could possibly want to know about all the options that were assembled into your
Sprinter in Dusseldorf in 2001, and a whole lot more.
All, check out this OEM Data Card.....it has a whole lot more than the data cards available from MB Sprinter
USA on the EPC.startekinfo database.
Regards,
Roger

Attachments

And that's Ailsa Craig on the horizon!

Fantastic news on getting moving again!

Keep in touch,
Keith

PS Where is home?
Indeed here we are and very happy.

Home is where the van is. I think its a bit like being a snail. Move slow and take your home with you. We were Gloucestershire based but moved out last week to the van then both heading North to UNI in a month Rach is heading Manchester way and I'm going to be in Carlisle.

How about your self?

OP (Original Poster, In this case you)

No need to tackle the problem right away. However that black lava mess will only continue to grow, so I suggest getting it sorted in the next 1,000 miles. As it continues to leak, the hot gasses will erode the seal, and sometimes the head sealing surface below it. Which over time can make the repair a bit more difficult. When caught early the repair only takes an hour or two to pull the injector and replace the seal washer.
Ok great I think we'll aim for Glasgow and Edinburgh and take any dry moment to get it fixed.
Just got to find a good motorfactor.

Hi Merky sprinter,
So glad you persevered and got your Sprinter back on the road.
You deserve the dip in the ocean and some time off at the beach.
I tried a couple of times to "start a conversation" to send you the OEM Build/Assembly
data card for your Sprinter, but it tells me I am not allowed to start a conversation with you.
I will need to check with the moderator (Vic-Aqua Puttana) and super moderator (Seek) to see why
I cannot send you the data.
Since your VIN # was posted in this thread, I will attach the data card here.
All you ever could possibly want to know about all the options that were assembled into your
Sprinter in Dusseldorf in 2001, and a whole lot more.
All, check out this OEM Data Card.....it has a whole lot more than the data cards available from MB Sprinter
USA on the EPC.startekinfo database.
Regards,
Roger
Nice one thanks Roger. Same here it helped having experience d people on hand to give me support and ideas.

Much obliged for your awesome resources and knowledge. I have no Idea why you can't send through the details privately.
Either way the more knowledge the better I'll download on to several devices right now while I finally have good data reception.
Thanks again. Look forward to persusing the data card.

??

Luke

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
We were Gloucestershire based but moved out last week to the van then both heading North to UNI in a month Rach is heading Manchester way and I'm going to be in Carlisle.

How about your self?
Live in NE suburbs of Birmingham, worked for JLR for 30 years as design/test/development engineer and have owned a 2004 313CDi based mH doe over 12 years now. It's currently at 36,000 miles but has only covered 200 miles in last year due to family issues then Covid lockdown!

PS Dennis (LinDen Engineering) who posts on here from Golden, Colorado has a brother in Gloucestershire who runs a garage!

I have no Idea why you can't send through the details privately.
You need to go into your Account details (click on your username top right) then under Privacy make sure the checkbox against Start conversations with you: is set to Members only.

Keith.

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
Nope it slips behind the injector to the plug at the top left.
Ooo black death. Ill be sure to be on that as soon I'm near a city. Thanks for the heads up!
That plug is in the cam sensor. The wire is not run correctly, it should go behind the last injector iirc. It should also be sheethed. There is a notch molded into that rib in the rocker cover behind the injector for this cable. That rib has cut through your wires. And even when run correctly, chafing of that wire is an issue.

Poor maintenence and incorrectly done repairs are what have caused this issue. So take care to fix it properly and you will only have to do it once.

Last edited:
That plug is in the cam sensor. The wire is not run correctly, it should go behind the last injector iirc. It should also be sheethed. There is a notch molded into that rib in the rocker cover behind the injector for this cable. That rib has cut through your wires. And even when run correctly, chafing of that wire is an issue.

Poor maintenence and incorrectly done repairs are what have caused this issue. So take care to fix it properly and you will only have to do it once.
Nice one. Thanks for the heads up.
I'll make sure to do my research to get it right.

Live in NE suburbs of Birmingham, worked for JLR for 30 years as design/test/development engineer and have owned a 2004 313CDi based mH doe over 12 years now. It's currently at 36,000 miles but has only covered 200 miles in last year due to family issues then Covid lockdown!

PS Dennis (LinDen Engineering) who posts on here from Golden, Colorado has a brother in Gloucestershire who runs a garage!

You need to go into your Account details (click on your username top right) then under Privacy make sure the checkbox against Start conversations with you: is set to Members only.

Keith.
A well hopefully you'll be motoring about more soon. 36,000 is amazingly low. Gotta get putting some more miles on it
Interesting about Dennis' brother. I probably know the garage but not the person unless they are based Stroud.
My account details are are updated now. Thanks for the info on that. ?

Poor maintenance and incorrectly done repairs are what have caused this issue. So take care to fix it properly and you will only have to do it once.
Owner gives good advice as always.

My comment for the near term.

Leave the loom aka harness as repaired until you address the Black Death injector seal leakage issues. As Owner indicates that the cover could wear again, you can just run without the black plastic cover. It won't hurt anything near term. I ran without the black plastic cover for maybe a year. That was probably too long.

It appears that you identified the problems so you should be good for a while. (Stock up on fuses.)

Thanks for the follow up.

:cheers: vic

sailquik

Merky sprinter,
OK, I/we figured out why I could not send the data card to you.
You need to go to the blue bar at the top of the page.
Look for the envelope symbol.
Just to the left of the envelope symbol is a circle where your Avatar would go.
Click on the circle/dot.
This will take you to "Your Account"
On the LH side, scroll down to "Privacy"
Scroll down (in "Privacy") to "Allow User to:
Scroll down to "Conversations":
Change the setting (up/down arrows) to: Members.
Yours is no set to Nobody!!.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Probably many other new members in the same situation, so if you are not getting
any "conversations", your setting is "nobody".
New members need to check this to get the full value of this forum.
Of course, if you are shy, or don't want anything to do with "conversations", set the switch
to nobody.
Conversations are private, only between the members stated in the email string at the
top of the thread.

Top Bottom