New game: guess where that wire does! (T1N edition)

LucianNovo

Peggy The Van
I’m in the middle to a repair and just found this disconnected white wire- does anyone know where it leads Or what it does?

I don’t remember disconnecting this wire, and I bought the car uswd:oops:

image.jpg

Pertinent information: I have a T1N 2004 Dodge Sprinter. The wire next to it leads to the driver side headlamp.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Quite possibly the previous owner "fixed" something, and the butt-splice crimp connector (that blue thing) wasn't properly crimped to the other wire.

--dick (who agrees that it looks yellow instead of white ... compare to the "white" at the root of your thumbnail)

koenb

It even looks like the other end of the butt splice didn't get crimped. Maybe it is being used to cap of the wire?

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
I’d guess it’s a Female bullet style quick plug, possibly for accessory lighting (driving lights). There’s probably a male end floating around somewhere

LucianNovo

Peggy The Van
Quite possibly the previous owner "fixed" something, and the butt-splice crimp connector (that blue thing) wasn't properly crimped to the other wire.

--dick (who agrees that it looks yellow instead of white ... compare to the "white" at the root of your thumbnail)
image.jpg
I think it started out as a white wire.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Yup, white (with a black stripe coyly off to the side?)

Sure looks like an inadequately-crimped splice ... i think a bullet connector would be rounder.

Does voltage appear on the pin in the hole when your high (or low) beams are turned on?

--dick[/S]

BrennWagon

He’s just this guy, you know?
End on view is definitely a poorly crimped butt splice. The bullet connect was wishful thinking that he’d have something he could potentially easily find :ROFLMAO: The PO used them to install a trailer harness on my 2006 and had connected the male ends to the source side, causing some intermittent issues.

LucianNovo

Peggy The Van
End on view is definitely a poorly crimped butt splice. The bullet connect was wishful thinking that he’d have something he could potentially easily find :ROFLMAO: The PO used them to install a trailer harness on my 2006 and had connected the male ends to the source side, causing some intermittent issues.
I don’t know the right way to connect a trailer, but that doesn’t seem right. :LOL:

cian128

can I hijack with another mystery wire? I noticed a single wire leaving the loom under the van near the fuel filler neck, goes into the body through a knockout that is blocked with foam

I don’t know the right way to connect a trailer, but that doesn’t seem right. :LOL:
There is no problem with using crimp type connectors. Properly crimped and sealed butt splice connectors are a very common wire joining method. A crimp tool designed for the connector should be used. If the splice is exterior on the vehicle then proper sealing against the elements is a critical part of a proper splice. I generally dip the stripped wire end into a bit of Vaseline before crimping. It helps to avoid corrosion. It will not adversely affect the electrical connection.

vic

az7000'

2007 Navion on a 2006 3500 chassis
I’ve been eyeing a proper weather pack tool for better connections. Hemostats and needle nose pliers don’t give the connections the reliability the right tool would. Will use the heck out of it with 7 Moto’s, the sprinter, trailer, and other fun projects!

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I just purchased a Milwaukee battery powered solder iron. Make splices real.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
can I hijack with another mystery wire? I noticed a single wire leaving the loom under the van near the fuel filler neck, goes into the body through a knockout that is blocked with foam
Without telling us *at least* the color, (and year, altho i assume it's a T1N) we can't really help.

--dick (who agrees with the "aftermarket")

cian128

Without telling us *at least* the color, (and year, altho i assume it's a T1N) we can't really help.

--dick (who agrees with the "aftermarket")
i thought you wanted a challenge! looks like a small gauge brown ground wire

the foam is the same that is around the filler neck and tank vent tubes

1597096563790.png

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I don't know if the Sprinter "bonds" the filler pipe to the frame or not .. that would explain a ground wire in that vicinity.

--dick

Top Bottom