Images of 110v ac connections?

G

Gsand31415

Is there some way to do an advanced search that returns only threads with images? I'm starting to plan my shore power wiring and am curious how connections are made, and what kind of protections can be built to save foolish fingers from reaching them.
Or, is there a website or video that does a good job of visually explaining RV ac wiring?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I'm a fan of do-it-yourself ... but i'm also a fan of do-it-SAFELY-yourself.
May i suggest finding a "van conversion" or boat up-fitter and "buy an hour" of their time for some hands-on training in safe wiring of moving/vibrating vehicles?
Connections that won't fall apart, grounding considerations, wire choices, etc etc.
A loose wire-nut can lead to fatal errors ... your van metal getting (electrically) "hot" compared to the wet grass you're about to stop onto, or which you are standing on when you insert your (metal) key in the door.

A standard residential electrician might help, but they're not going to be fully aware of, and practiced in, the extra things you have to consider for an RV due to the environment.

As an example, visit that RV Electric site and click on "open neutral" in the left margin menu. Then read.
All it takes is one can't-really-hold-it screw to lead to "interesting" consequences.
That page is discussing the power kiosk, but there have been a number of forum members who have discovered their commercial RVs were having loose or disconnected wires inside the van where the exterior connection met their major feeds.

--dick

Last edited:

Zundfolge

Always learning...
Agree with Dick in having someone give you some time in this regard. This stuff isn't hard, but it IS EASY to make an uneducated mistake that can have serious consequences. Use non-conductive conduits and boxes (i.e. PVC etc), and take all precautions to protect wires through any penetrations (grommets, etc.)

Top Bottom