Door chime and it aint Christmas Bells!

teamtexas

A Dad owner with a '03
Ok I did a bit of searching and I'm even more confused now than when I started. I have a 2003 and both front doors cause a door chime to sound when they are open. No lights on and it doesn't matter if the engine is running or not, it still chimes. Is there anyway to shut this off? Does anyone elses do this? :shifty:

Dan

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Does it chime, beep, or buzz?

I know it beeps

- when the engine is off, door is open, key is in the ignition.
- when the engine is off, door is open, key is out, headlight is on.

I forget if it beeps when the engine is running. :thinking: I'll take a chance and say that it doesn't. :hmmm:

Lojack72

'02 DIY adventure van, 300K miles (210K by me)
I picked up an '02 a few months ago and was immediately annoyed by the same thing.

Since mine has a Midway Executive Limo conversion on it, figured it was something aftermarket and started pulling the dash off to track down the noise and make it stop.

Solution- it comes from a component on the back of the speedo board. Cover it with a piece of tape (always worked with the kid toys), and I can barely hear it now. 20 minute repair, zero cost.

Last edited:

maxextz

Rollin Rollin Rollin.....
if you leave the fog lights switch in the on position it will beep even without the lights being on but once the door is open.

max..........:popcorn:

maxextz

in your pic the rear lights cluster see the bottom red lense in europe our foglight is on the right hand side wheres yours will be on the left its compulsory to have fog lights and reflectors,there should"must" be a switch on your dash either side of your steering wheel or the center panel where your gear selector is.

max...........:popcorn:
ps if you remove the rear light on the left side you will see an extra socket for a 20watt fog light bulb.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
We're seeing the usual "two countries separated by a common language" issue...
In the US, "fog lights" refer to extra forward-facing headlamp units, usually mounted very low and frequently with amber lenses.
On my T1N, those would be turned on with a switch on the dash with a "headlamp with louvered screen" symbol. (if i had one).

In Europe, Max's "fog lights" are (US term) "marker lights"... small amber "parking lights" (as bright as a taillamp) which are left on all night on the road-side of a parked vehicle.
In my US T1N, the headlamp switch has the on/off control for that (with a "P" symbol).. rotate the headlamp switch to the "P", then lift or lower the switch stalk to choose which side actually turns on.

Such side-lights are not a "requirement" in the US (at least for passenger vehicles).

--dick (such side-lights were required/standard equipment on English cars in the 1960's)

teamtexas

A Dad owner with a '03
I've been working on installing homemade seat swivels and this stupid door bell is driving me crazy....er :doh:

Dan

Lojack72

'02 DIY adventure van, 300K miles (210K by me)
Question: do you have ASSYT? Mine was over 10K when I got it, although I changed all the fluids immediately I didn't reset the ASSYT until a couple of weeks ago- and have noticed the only time it beeps now is when I leave the headlights on.
Still glad I taped it off, as it's noticeable but not deafening now. Just a suggestion, new to Sprinters myself and my wrenching experience is primarily old Harleys with little if any electronics.

maxextz

welcome Lojack72 to the forum:thumbup: thats a snazzy looking sprinter you have there if you have any pics we would love to see them:hmmm: we love pics on here.
max...........:popcorn:

Top Bottom