Changed Transmission fluid and filter, found what looked like aluminum flakes and part of an o-ring in trans oil pan

bcolins

2004 158" Vista Cruiser
I changed my trans fluid and filter a few days ago. When I dropped the pan,....I found the usual dark gray sludge on the bottom of the pan,....and found a portion of a rubber O-ring (about 1/2' diameter, visible in top right corner of oil pan pic) and some bright silver metal flakes,...assuming they were aluminum,...since none of them were stuck to the magnet in the pan. My transmission shifts fine under all light, medium and hard acceleration,...shifts both up and down with no slipping or flares between gears. The fluid was a brown, did not smell burned,....and I could see through it while it was draining in spite of it being brown.

Any thoughts on what the silver flakes and rubber o-ring might be?,....I am getting ready to make a 1000 mile road trip in a few days,....thus the reason for the filter and fluid and filter change. BTW, I also replaced the electrical connector and drained the torque converter. I also grabbed a sample of the trans fluid to send off to Blackstone oil analysis,.......unless you guys tell me that the metal flakes are not unusual,....but,...thinking part of an o-ring in a trans pan cant be a good thing. Picture of silver flakes and portion of o-ring (top right corner of pic) attached.

Suggestions?
Brian in Austin

Attachments

Duckmang

Qualified Personel
Dont worry about the flakes, thats normal. The oring is probably a piece of an old electrical connector seal or dipstick plug seal.

koenb

One time the o-ring for the dipstick cap worked it's way into the tube without my knowledge. When I inserted then removed the dipstick, it came out with it the dipstick luckily. If I were you I'd open up the filter as well.

maxzoom

2006 T1N 118" + 2006 T1N 140" + 2005 T1N 118"
Good to know your transmission is shifting fine after changing trans fluid and filter. Is there still an o-ring on the dipstick cap? 50% of the time when I check the transmission fluid that o-ring comes off and stays in the tube. I bring along a small screw driver to get the o-ring out of the tube.
How many miles are on your van? How often was the trans fluid and filter changed? I've got one 2006 Sprinter with 185,000 miles. Like yours the color is brown without a burnt smell. So maybe it's not too late to change trans fluid and filter? I've heard from mechanics that after 100,000 it may be risky to change the fluid and they won't guarantee it.

I tried changing the fluid and filter a couple years ago. One of the pan screws broke off right away so I was unable to remove the pan. Since then I just take out a quart or so from the drain plug and add new fluid once in a while. But the fluid is still brown and I bet it needs a new filter.

Top Bottom