T1N Windshield Weatherstripping Causing Rust

Hello everyone, got a 2006 118” with the om647. Observed that many have issues with rust developing just below the windshield weather stripping.
As far as I understand the cause of the problem (the weatherstripping) is there for cosmetical reasons since the Windshield is glued to the body of the van.
Is there an alternative to this weatherstripping that would not cause rust after I fix the rust problem?

I don’t wanna find myself developing rust there again.
Thoughts?

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
The trim strip around the windshield doesn't itself cause rust. Though the drain holes near the bottom can get clogged. Especially if a replacement windshield is not fitted properly and there is a gap at the top.

The most common cause of windshield bond area rust, is during replacement. Typically long knives are used to cut the sealant, invariably they nick the paint, or even cut it badly. Without repair, the resulting rust can be significant.

trc.rhubarb

My trim stripping was holding what could only be called mud... dirt/dust trapped in there with water. I scraped it all out and sealed over the problem areas with dicor lap sealant. It's not beautiful but better than the rust that was starting to form at the top corners of the windshield... at and above the weather strip.

Is there an alternative to this weatherstripping that would not cause rust after I fix the rust problem?
This worked for me. Still good today. It basically keeps all of the moisture from getting back in to make the metal rust.

Post #2 here.

:cheers: vic

getting ready to do the third glass for 06. just a tad bubbles showing from the last one 5 years ago . hope its not too bad this time
its the rubber strip really needed ?

Top Bottom