Nearly fatal accident when RV suddenly went into limp mode @70 mph in heavy traffic

kjschwardt

RV suddenly lost all drive power at 70 mph, felt like it suddenly put itself in neutral nearly causing catastrophic accident on NYS thruway. WTF?

kjschwardt

...when I'm in heavy 70mph traffic and the 18 wheelers around me aren't expecting me to decellerate like I slammed on the brakes....

gs850gx

I agree these sprinter go into limp mode a little too easy. Light up my dash like a Christmas tree, that's OK but at least let me get off the road!

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
How old is your Sprinter based RV and which engine do you have?

If still under MB warranty then head straight to your nearest dealer, complain loudly and ask them to scan for any stored fault codes!

Keith.

D

Deleted member 50714

Now ya know how Captain Kirk must have felt when losing power around Klingons.

Maybe limp home mode is a silent killer brought to our shore by the evil Germans.

Sue the BADTIDS IT'S THE AMERICAN THING TO DO!!!

Sorry had to have some fun with your unfortunate experience . Glade you survived.

See if these people can help??? Won't cost ya a dime.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
The LHM will be initiated at any time the vehicle decides to implement it. Very dumb engineering. Surprised that Mercedes has not been sued with this "feature". One of my major reasons for selling my 2008 NCV3 was a LHM incident that could have caused a head on collision. I had just passed several cars on a two lane road when LHM occurred. If it had occurred seconds before when passing the "feature" could have caused an accident.

I sold the Sprinter.

D

Deleted member 50714

Re-visiting the matter of LHM.

Some model year Toyotas may "stall" similar to SPRINTER LHM.

SUE!!!
IMG_2761.JPG

I'm in the LHM can be dangerous camp. I understand MB wanting to save the engine, but design/engineer it better. Most things that trigger LHM don't of themselves cause an immediate power loss. My recollection is that most are related to emissions controls. A dash warning with LHM initiated at next shutdown could be one scenario. They give a DEF starts countdown. Why not give a dash warning and seconds, or minutes countdown to LHM. That will give an operator a chance to plan and drive safely.

Power loss happens, transmissions fail, tires blow out, etc. Drivers need to react to those emergencies. I don't agree with intentionally engineering in an emergency condition.

:2cents: vic

Last edited:

turbo911

what were the codes that caused lhm. were they service related. i feel anyone who drives a 2000 or newer car should own and incorporate a scan guage and monthly read for codes. mercedes is not the only manufactue with lhm feature. such is the technology of "newer vehicles". a scan keeps the service center honest if the owner of the vehicle does his research and also makes a diagnoses easier. the bad side is that it makes things more proprietary for the manufacture. a lot of lhm complaints are emission related or to protect the powerplant. save the planet and save your wallet are not dumb

G

Gsand31415

We lost boost in the middle lane of heavy 70mph traffic heading up Snoqualmie pass east of Seattle. Had a hell of a time getting over to the right lane to crawl at 20mph to the next exit, which turned out to be a highway with no shoulders. Designing a system to do this is criminal. Once we could stop, turning the engine off and restarting returned normal function.

avanti

2022 Ford Transit 3500
I totally agree with the above. Many of the failure-mode behaviors of Sprinters are just bonkers.
That said, in fairness, SOME of them are well-though-out. One of my many wheel-sensor failures happened at speed on an Interstate. The usual "Christmas-tree" trifecta of dash lights plus the "visit workshop" message all came up, but the vehicle did NOT lose power. It locked into the current gear and only went into LHM when I came to a stop on the exit ramp. This was reasonable behavior IMO.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
We lost boost in the middle lane of heavy 70mph traffic heading up Snoqualmie pass east of Seattle. Had a hell of a time getting over to the right lane to crawl at 20mph to the next exit, which turned out to be a highway with no shoulders. Designing a system to do this is criminal. Once we could stop, turning the engine off and restarting returned normal function.
The cause for my sudden LHM failure was a failed EGR valve at 20,000 miles. After the incident I turned off the engine and like you it returned to normal operation until I took it to the dealer who found the failed EGR valve.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
DANGER WARNING!

Please don't confuse being startled & inconvenienced with dangerous & life threatening.

G

Gsand31415

DANGER WARNING!

Please don't confuse being startled & inconvenienced with dangerous & life threatening.
If I lost boost in Vancouver traffic I'm not sure I would notice. Can't go there anyway due to virus panic. I'm dying to get one of those flat ducks from a Chinatown deli! Funny how you keep thinking about something if you can't get it.

D

Deleted member 50714

THE COMMIES FROM C.A.R.B. ARE RESPONSIBLE!!!

LHM brought to you by, clueless, San Francisco based, windopane dropping, weed smoking bonehead environmental Nazis' who think they know everything because they graduated from a diploma mill with a worthless piece of decorated wallpaper.

D

Deleted member 50714

btw remember when manufactures built components well enough that they could be fixed rather then replaced

Here's an excellent example of environmental-consumer unfriendly automotive engineering.

The sinister DEF tank. Except for pump, any component fails in tank, i.e. level sensor, heating element, circuit board, gotta to 86 the whole tank. About $2,200.00 they tell me. Shouldn't cost more than a $100.00.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom