316 / 416 auto transmission differences

Daz Bad

Just trying to find out if there is any difference between a 2004 416 5 speed auto transmission and a 2004 316 auto and also is there any differences in the torque converter ?

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
Look at first 6 numbers of the part numbers. 722xxx. If they are different, then they are different.

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
The difference in a 316 to a 416 is the vehicles weight rating. For the same age they will both have the same engine. The '3xx' or '4xx' denotes a GVW of nominal 3,000 to 4,000 kg or 4,000 to 5,000 kg range whilst the 'x16' denotes an engine of nominal 160 HP. For example I have a 313 which is plated at 3,850 kg and has a 130 HP engine.

If you enter both VIN's here http://mbepc.net/f/vin/ you will get the full DataCard for both vehicles and be able to compare the trans assy and variant numbers as suggested by Vic (Owner).

Keith.

Daz Bad

Hey thanks Owner and Cheyenne , great info . Yes im aware number at the start of 416 defines the GVM and the 16 is the engine my question really is due to the different weights does the transmission have different ratios or is there a difference in the torque convertor ( and thats going to be the harder to find out )
I will try and find out the vin of the other vehicle

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
My understanding is that the ratios in the trans will be the same and any change in overall gearing will be from a change in final drive ratio, ie rear diff ratio. This info will be on the Data cards.

If you get both VIN's you will be able to compare torque converter part numbers for both vehicles using the part number breakdown from MBEPC.

Keith.

Top Bottom