New van, needs some work, please help!

BenjAllie

Hello everyone

My partner and I recently bought a Sprinter(06 2500 158 cargo) with 78K original miles and plan to do some minor converting before taking a trip across country in around a week.

-We've been advised that the transmission and rear diff needs servicing - any advice on the difficulty of doing this ourselves? My partner is pretty mechanically inclined. Any good guides or resources that you might recommend?

-We also noticed that the stock AC doesn't blow cold air, we're wondering how difficult it will be to recharge the system and if we should attempt to do it ourselves.

-Lastly, any recommendations on what kind of oil to use for an oil change?

Thank you in advance!

Allie and Benji

Attachments

BenjAllie

Hello everyone

My partner and I recently bought a Sprinter(06 2500 158 cargo) with 78K original miles and plan to do some minor converting before taking a trip across country in around a week.

-We've been advised that the transmission and rear diff needs servicing - any advice on the difficulty of doing this ourselves? My partner is pretty mechanically inclined. Any good guides or resources that you might recommend?

-We also noticed that the stock AC doesn't blow cold air, we're wondering how difficult it will be to recharge the system and if we should attempt to do it ourselves.

Thank you in advance!

Allie and Benj
iramp.jpg20200801_130636.jpg20200801_130352.jpgIMG_20171209_194621.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

koenb

Welcome! Trans and diff service is quite simple if you're planning on just a fluid change. It'll get slightly more involved if you're changing the trans filter, but it's a straightforward job. I personally like to pull the diff cover each diff oil change, but it's not required. See this thread for common maintenance.

What's the deal with the dual fans underneath the van?

Also useful link is this for the service info http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/
I keep the 2006-VA-SM link on my favorites bar.
You can find the service manual for 06 and parts catalogs. You'll also want to have a look in the service scans folder for more specific info on certain things. There's also lots of useful PDF files, guides, retrofit options and such towards the bottom of the main list.

For parts some good sources are

Oil lots of people run is shell rotella T6. It's what I use, but there are plenty of other options. The biggest thing is the MB spec ratings, search for the numerous threads on oil.

For the AC, it's usually never a simple recharge to get it going. There are a few very common issues that make the AC not work. You would need to do some troubleshooting to figure it out. The most common is the control module on the dash has a faulty solder on the compressor control relay. The module can be removed and sent out to https://www.shop.modulerepairpro.com/ and repaired for about $120. I do not advocate for DIY AC charging unless you are using vacuum pumps and manifold gauges and have a thorough understanding of AC systems. I do always recommend that people have a professional shop service the AC. :2cents: (by service I mean recharge) Replacing components and troubleshooting can easily be done DIY.

I would highly recommend you purchase a sprinter specific scan tool, this is hands down the most useful tool for any sprinter owner ever period. A generic OBD2 is not very useful here. An Autel AP200 scanner (amazon $70) seems to be the best bang for buck currently. This will help you immediately troubleshoot you're AC issue to see if the compressor is being properly triggered by the relay. Also tells you AC system pressures and such which will tell you if you currently have a charge (but not how much) in the system.

Last edited:

Alphacarina

2006 Itasca Navion 23H
With 78K on it, I would do a full fluid and filter change on the transmission (including draining the torque converter) and several other things too - Better to do the preventative stuff at home before you leave than to have to make repairs on the road in a strange place. Oil and filter, fuel filter, air filter, flush the brake fluid (there's a good chance that's never been done in 14 years . . . . unless you have proof to the contrary) I would install a new serpentine belt, or at the very least, buy a new one to take with you *if* you are carrying the tools you'd need to change it beside the road

If it was me, on a 14 year old T1N, I would even pull the top cover and check to see if you have an injector seal leak or not - Search 'Black Death' here on the forum

An around the country trip in a 14 year old vehicle you just bought could be an exciting adventure, but it may end up lots more exciting than you want unless you make sure the vehicle can do the next 5,000 miles with no worries. You could do all the above (or even pay to have someone do it all) for much less than the cost of a tow to the nearest town and the cost of a mechanic to get you back on the road. Unless you have a $2,500 'cushion' that you're planning to take but not need, some preventative maintenance could be the best money you'll spend on this trip

Don

tinman

Hello everyone

Thank you in advance!

Allie and Benji
Transmission service isn't difficult. Search the forum and there's good step by step instructions. Word of warning, when I did mine for the first time the drain plug was pretty much seized in place. I was dropping the pan anyway to replace the filter, so it just made it a bit messier. Be sure to drain the torque converter. You'll need to obtain a transmission dipstick, available aftermarket on Amazon or wherever. As for the air conditioner, there are a number of possibillities. If it's simply a loss of charge, you'll need to figure out why. A number of Sprinters of that era (mine imcluded) have had the condenser chafed through by the bottom of the auxiliary fan housing, which means a new condensor and rework of the fan mounting so that it doesn't recur. Fairly easy to inspect. If not that, there are a number of other possibilities. Again search the forum.
Rear diff easy as well, althouhh not due as routine maintenance. Enjoy your new ride.

B

billintomahawk

The differential fill and drain plugs are notoriously tight on T1N's so make sure you can get the fill plug loose before you drain the oil.

If you can't get the drain plug loose(me), you can crack the cover bolts just enough to drain the oil and then re-tighten them to reseal the diff.
That worked. I've never used synthetic diff oil in any vehicle(being old school) so when I saw the Benz rec I skipped it and went with a dino in the proper weight. It was a heck of a lot cheaper and my camper build has me running light.

I haven't gone to hell yet but lately it's....

And welcome, a couple of years ago I came on this forum a desperate man with a new to me Sprinter and a non running engine.
The helps and kindnesses I have received here are too many to mention.

billintomahawk

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
This is actually a duplicate post of another in T1N Talk so suggest all future answers are posted there...

Keith.

huskyfrk

don is spot on with the recommended work that really should b done. you scored a fairly low mileage unit so take advantage and go beyond what some would do and go the fullmonty on fluid changes. b sure to drain the torque converter in the trans to anything less is a waste of time. do drain the diff, and do use a stythitic. there is a aluminum sump for the trans that holds more fluid and is ribbed for cooling. will drop temps as much as 30 degrees in climbs. i got one glad i did. do change out all the fluid hoses while your at it. cheap insurance from breakdowns. might change out the thermostat while your at it. under 20 bucks.

koenb

Thought I already replied to this, but oil should be MB spec 229.3 or 229.5.
This is my current go-to in 0w40
9-9.5 quarts needed
You did, the OP also posted this is the general sprinter talk forum area.

The differential fill and drain plugs are notoriously tight on T1N's so make sure you can get the fill plug loose before you drain the oil.
The fill plug on a 06' 2500 diff should be a rubber plug and not threaded in. That drain plug however....

Top Bottom