Generator running the AC

Grouser

Live free,,, or die fighting for it,,,, no2 woke
Went to fire up the generator in the parking lot while the wife did the shopping. Wanted to run the rooftop AC to keep it cool. Started the generator let it warm up a minute. Then I kicked on the AC and it pulled it down so much that it almost died. AC unit never fully came on I shut everything down tried it a couple more times nothing. What do you suggest?. 2006 SS agile, 2500 Onan on propane

Kajtek1

2015 3500 X long limo RV
Did you turn the converter off during the try?
No other loads? 1 minute warm up might not be enough.
Also did you wait few minutes between the tries?
AC compressors have timer, who will prevent quick restarts and give the system time to bleed the pressure.

Grouser

No other load, but I probably should have let it warm up a little longer.

Rod67

Went to fire up the generator in the parking lot while the wife did the shopping. Wanted to run the rooftop AC to keep it cool. Started the generator let it warm up a minute. Then I kicked on the AC and it pulled it down so much that it almost died. AC unit never fully came on I shut everything down tried it a couple more times nothing. What do you suggest?. 2006 SS agile, 2500 Onan on propane
Make sure the electric hot water and frig are off Electric hot water heater and AC together will over load gen set

Mike DZ

2016 View 24V (2015 3500)
I don't have a Roadtrek, but can you turn on the fan and have that running before you trigger the compressor? I can in my rig and it reduces the start up load.

Grouser

Now that you mention it I did have the refrigerator on 12 volt. so I went out today and tried again and it was flawless. I did as you suggested and started the fan first/fan only, then went to cold. As usual, operator error. Thanks for your help

Top Bottom